- Diet & Weight Loss
One Layer Low Fat Chocolate Cake Recipe
Chocolate - from the seed of the cacao tree
The Chocolate Craving
Chocolate, yum. I am not your normal craving chocolate type of lady. As soon as I go on a diet or try to cut calories or watch what I eat I immediately crave chocolate. It is an intense need on something you can't have. There must be something psychological about having things you aren't supposed to have.
Low Fat Cake Chocolate Cake
- 2 cups flour
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 egg whites
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup applesauce
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 can Dr Pepper 10 or Diet Dr Pepper
Step by Step Directions
Low Fat Cake
- Preheat Oven to 350 . Mix all of the dry ingredients together in a bowl
- Add the egg whites, applesauce, and vanilla. Mix together. The mixture will be a little dry at this point because you still need to add a can of cola.
- Open can of Diet Dr Pepper and pour it into the mix. Pour it in slowly and get a good consistency, we might not want to add the entire can based on how liquid the mixture becomes. Sometimes I add 3/4 of the can. Mix well.
- Spray the pan with non stick cooking spray. Pour batter into cake pan.
- Place in preheated oven and bake. Cook for 30 - 40 minutes. Stick a toothpick in the middle to check. It should come out clean if the cake is fully baked.
|Serving size: 1/8th of the cake|
|Calories from Fat||9|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 1 g||2%|
|Saturated fat 1 g||5%|
|Carbohydrates 22 g||7%|
|Sugar 30 g|
|Fiber 3 g||12%|
|Protein 3 g||6%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 30 mg||1%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Bake the Cake!
Everyday Cake or Not
Would you make this cake even if you weren't trying to lose weight?
Are You Missing the Frosting?
Are you missing the frosting? I am a person that loves frosting. On top of my peice of cake is not ice cream or even frosting, it is a lovely dollop of fat free cool whip which I keep in the freezer. Adds a great element to the chocolate cake and if you are really lucky you might even be able to find their chocolate cool whip.
Not in the Mood for Scratch?
If you are not in the mood for making a cake form scratch you can buy a simple cake mix. Instead of adding the ingredients from listed on the back of the box add a can of diet pop to the cake mix and bake as directed. This is another low calorie alternative that will make your mouth water.
If you are looking to made a vanilla cake mix add a can of diet 7 up or sprite to the mix instead of a cola. This will keep your cake a white version instead of turning it murky.
Sugar or Fake Sugar?
I personally always use the real stuff versus any of the new fake or pretend real alternatives. I don't fully trust the fake sugar alternatives and neither my husband or kids can eat it without becoming ill. I know they all have sensitive stomachs but the fact that every time one of them eats something with the fake sugar in it (it happens more often since so many people bake with it these days) they have to find the nearest bathroom. Well real sugar is sugar I don't replace it with the fake stuff but try to cut it down and use something sweet like applesauce to replace some of it.