How To Prevent Bone Loss: Ways to avoid Osteoporosis
1. Eat Right
Good eating habits such as having the right mixture and amount of nutrients are directly related to the prevention of osteoporosis in both men and women.Most people think that only women suffer from this disease,this far from the truth. Although women are more likely to develop osteoporosis, men also suffer from bone density loss from this preventable disease.
Following this simple substitution table will do wonders for your optimum calcium intake:
1. Use calcium-fortified milk instead of water with your cereal and oatmeal.
2. Drink plenty of calcium-fortified Fruit juices.
1. Eat yogurt as your dessert
2. Choose milk instead of soda
3. Add cheese to your sandwich.
1. Add macaroni and cheese to your tomato soup.
2. For dessert,eat pudding made with milk or frozen yogurt.
2. Ensure enough calcium intake!!
But for the lactose intolerant or are not accustomed to dairy products from the list below:
1. Whole grains – brown rice, oats, corn, barley, buckwheat, wheat, rye
2. Vegetables – broccoli, carrots, spinach, lettuce, onions, celery, string beans, artichoke, summer squash, endive, cucumbers, asparagus, peppers, parsley, sprouts, and tomatoes
3. Beans – split peas, lentils, kidney beans, navy beans, chickpeas, black beans, white beans, soy beans, and tofu
4.Nuts and seeds – sunflower, sesame or pumpkin seeds
5.Water – 8 glasses a day
Recommended Daily Calcium Allowance Table
1. Infants up to 1 year old babies :(400-600mgs/day)
2. 1-10 years old :(800-1200mgs/day)
3. 11-24 years old :(1200-1500mgs/day)
4. Preganant or Lactating women : (1200-1500mgs/day)
5. For men 25-65 years old : (1000mgs/day)
6. For women 24 years and above : ( 1200/day)
3. Control your sodium and protein intake
Unregulated sodium and protien intake can decrease your calcium intake by interfering with its absorption.
Recommended Daily Sodium Allowance is up to 2000mgs/day
Recommended Daily Protien Intake is up to 0.08 grams/kg of body weight
4. Get enough Vitamin D
Enhance calcium absorption and optimal bone maintainance by walking in the early morning sun for at least 15 minutes. It will do wonders for your body.
5. Avoid Alcoholic drinks
Alcoholic drinks can disrupt the calcium balance and absorption by suppressing new bone formation.
Smoking decreases the body's ability to absorb calcuim and it also lowers estrogen levels in women. This will lead to bone density loss and it can trigger early menopause in women.
Engaging in moderate exercises like tai chi or even walking for 10-15 minutes will do wonders as exercise boosts the body's ability to absorb calcium and strengthens bone.
© 2009 Shanti Rose