- Personal Health Information & Self-Help»
- Mentally & Emotionally Balanced Living
How do Emotions Affect the Human Body and Cause Diseases!
Take Care Of Your Emotions, Before They Control You!
© Chitrangada Sharan Oct. 2014
All Rights Reserved.
- Anita was immensely upset, because of the unexpected behavior of one of her closest and most trusted relative. Truly it was as if someone had back stabbed her. She was not able to come to terms with it, no matter how much her loved ones tried to comfort her.
- The result was, she was feeling totally sick and developed certain health issues as well and she had to visit the doctor , only to be warned by him to come out of this emotional blackout or face more serious consequences.
- And she did follow the doctor's advice for the sake of her loved ones and herself.
- It took her a long-long time to recover from that emotional upheaval but thank God she changed her attitude towards these frequent emotional ups and downs of life.
Every day we have plenty of opportunities to get angry, stressed or offended. But what you're doing when you indulge these negative emotions is giving something outside yourself power over your happiness. You can choose to not let little things upset you.
What is 'Emotion'? Positive And Negative Emotions:
Physical movement of our body is by our choice to do so. But emotions are internal turmoil of our feelings, which may not be by our choice.
Emotions are formed due to mood, good or bad, love, excitement, sadness, grief and so on.
One may or may not not have control over emotions; they can arise in our sub conscious mind, almost all of a sudden.
Its difficult to understand, exactly these emotional feelings, how they overpower us. But one thing is sure that they are a result of circumstances or happenings around us.
Many of us learn, how to deal with it, while others are not able to do so causing great damage to their health.
Happiness, Compassion, Excitement, Enjoyment, Merriment etc. cause positive emotions.
Fear, Anger, Jealousy, Self pity, Revengeful feelings, Depression, Stress etc. are the result of Negative emotions.
If you don't think your anxiety, depression, sadness and stress impact your physical health, think again. All of these emotions trigger chemical reactions in your body, which can lead to inflammation and a weakened immune system. Learn how to cope, sweet friend. There will always be dark days.
How does our body get affected by 'Emotions'?
Some parts of our body have the tendency to get more affected by emotions.
When we face criticism, arguments, jealousy, some kind of test/ examination/ interview etc. or other stressful or anxious moments, then there is an emotional turmoil and we have to take more work out of our body.
- There is a greater flow of adrenaline in our blood.
- You start breathing fast. You have increased heart rate and palpitations.
- Some of our vital systems like digestive system and blood circulation gets badly affected.
- Your neck and shoulder muscles get stiff.
- Your Oxygen requirement increases.
- Fear affects kidneys as well.
- If one is stressed for a long time, it affects lungs as well.
- Our brain regulates our entire body. A little excitement also results in chemical changes in our body and negative emotions affect brain and body together adversely.
Negative emotions like loneliness, envy, and guilt have an important role to play in a happy life; they're big, flashing signs that something needs to change.
Effect on digestive system:
Negative emotions have a great negative impact on digestive organs, such as Stomach and intestines.
It can also give rise to Osteoporosis, that means lack of bone density due to decreased Calcium.
If negative emotions remain present for a longer time in an individual, then it leads to formation of acids in the stomach, thus leading to digestion related problems such as acidity and ulcers.
Effects on our Heart:
Negative emotions can also result in Heart related disease.
Psychological pressures can happen to anyone. Very highly placed individuals or very mediocre individuals. While the former has the psychological pressure to retain his position in society, the later might be the victim of his low position in society.
As such negative emotions like anxiety, stress, competition, jealousy self pity, low self esteem, inferiority or superiority complexes, lack of patience, feeling of pride etc. can affect the Heart health in both extreme cases.
Mental agony can cause great damage to the nerves in our body. Mental pain is much more difficult to deal with as compared to physical pain.
Strong emotions can pressurize an individual, causing stiff nerves.
This results in nervous disorder, which is very difficult to tackle.
What kind of people get affected by mental illnesses?
Very emotional people, who think with their heart and not mind; those who think too much about the consequences, their decisions may have on their loved ones, might always live in a state of fear, anxiety and tension.
This also prevents them from taking decisions and solving issues.
All these lead to psychological pressures, causing pain, headaches, stomach upsets etc.
Anxiety and Tensions:
Insecurities and fear may cause anxiety. But sometimes anxiety is habitual and some people are anxious even in favorable circumstances.
This kind of habitual anxiety is a mental disease.
Does negative emotion overpower you?
What is the solution to tackle emotional upheavals?
- We have to understand that we should not feel emotionally low or stressed out, by thinking about circumstances, which are beyond our control.
- Whatever has happened or is inevitable, those circumstances must be dealt with patience and calmness.
- This will reduce pressure on our vital organs such as heart, nerves, brain and digestive system.
- We should develop a positive mindset, because everything does not happen as we plan them.
- We should keep ourselves engaged, physically as well as mentally.
- Engaging in creative activities such as music, art, sports, exercise, yoga, social service will keep negative emotions away.
- Meeting people, making friends, talking about your inner fears to them helps a lot in these circumstances.
Check out the helpful videos to calm down, emotional disturbances!
© Chitrangada Sharan 28th Oct. 2014
All Rights Reserved.
PROTECTED: PLEASE DO NOT COPY!
Music calms you down, source: You tube
Deep breathing exercises to calm down negative emotions, source: You tube
Other useful hubs by Chitrangada Sharan
- Are you Feeling Low? Try these Amazing Therapies to...
Are you feeling Low for some reason! Did this thought occur to you that 'Life is not worth living'!Life is all about being active and positive. So do away with negativity with these simple Therapies.
- How to Reduce and Manage Stress by Art Therapy : A C...
Art Therapy is an effective tool to reduce and manage stress. It helps those affected to overcome emotional disorders n improve communication skills. They express difficult feelings by means of Art.
- Why and When Should You go to a Counsellor or Thera...
Are you feeling confused, struggling with situations/ relationships, unable to take decisions, dying to get 'that' support? Then probably you need some counseling sessions by a trained psychotherapist.
- Loneliness Among Kids: Are You Too Busy To Notice Yo...
Busy parents and lonely children is the reality of today's society.But it is a necessity for both the parents to earn, to manage a decent living. How to find a balance so kids are also given attention.
© 2014 Chitrangada Sharan