How do Emotions Affect the Human Body and Cause Diseases?
Take Care of Your Emotions, Before They Control You!
Anita was immensely upset, because of the unexpected behavior of one of her closest and most trusted relative. Truly, it seemed, as if someone had back stabbed her. She was not able to come to terms with it, no matter how much her loved ones tried to comfort her.
The result was, she was feeling totally sick and developed certain health issues as well. She had to visit the doctor, only to be warned by him, to come out of this emotional blackout, or face more serious consequences.
She took the right decision of following the doctor's advice, for the sake of her loved ones and herself.
It took her a long-long time to recover from that emotional upheaval, but thank God it did help. She changed her attitude towards these frequent emotional ups and downs of life. She started developing a positive attitude towards life. She started letting go.
Every day we have plenty of opportunities to get angry, stressed or offended. But what you're doing when you indulge these negative emotions is giving something outside yourself power over your happiness. You can choose to not let little things upset you.
What is Emotion? What are Positive and Negative Emotions?
Physical movement of our body, is by our choice to do so. But emotions are internal turmoil of our feelings, which may not be by our choice.
Emotions are formed due to the mood, whether good or bad, love, excitement, sadness, grief and so on.
One may, or may not have control over emotions. They can arise in our sub conscious mind, almost all of a sudden.
It‘s difficult to understand, exactly these emotional feelings, how they overpower us. But one thing is sure, that they are a result of the circumstances or happenings around us.
Many of us learn, how to deal with it, while others are not able to do so, causing great damage to their general health.
Merriment etc. cause positive emotions.
Stress etc. are the result of Negative emotions.
If you don't think your anxiety, depression, sadness and stress impact your physical health, think again. All of these emotions trigger chemical reactions in your body, which can lead to inflammation and a weakened immune system. Learn how to cope, sweet friend. There will always be dark days.
What is the solution to tackle emotional upheavals?
- We have to understand that we should not feel emotionally low or stressed out, by thinking about the circumstances, which are beyond our control.
- Whatever has happened, or is inevitable, those circumstances must be dealt with patience and calmness.
- This will reduce pressure on our vital organs such as the heart, the nerves, the brain and the digestive system.
- We should develop a positive mindset, because everything does not happen, as we plan them.
- We should keep ourselves engaged, physically as well as mentally.
- Engaging in creative activities, such as music, art, sports, exercises, yoga, social service will help to keep the negative emotions away.
- Meeting people, making friends, talking about your inner fears to them, helps a lot in these circumstances.
How does our body get affected by our emotions?
Some parts of our body have the tendency to get more affected by our emotions.
When we face criticism, arguments, jealousy, some kind of test or examination or interview etc., or other stressful or anxious moments, then there is an emotional turmoil, and we have to take more work out of our body.
- There is a greater flow of adrenaline in our blood.
- You start breathing fast. You have increased heart rate and palpitations.
- Some of our vital systems, like digestive system and blood circulation, gets badly affected.
- Your neck and shoulder muscles get stiff.
- Your Oxygen requirement increases.
- Fear affects the kidneys as well.
- If one is stressed for a long time, it affects the lungs as well.
- Our brain regulates our entire body. A little excitement, also results in some chemical changes in our body, and negative emotions affect the brain and the body together, adversely.
How do negative emotions affect our human organs, source: YouTube
Negative emotions like loneliness, envy, and guilt have an important role to play in a happy life; they're big, flashing signs that something needs to change.
Deep breathing exercises to calm down negative emotions, source: You tube
Nothing lasts forever!
Everything is temporary, even your emotions!
Effect of negative emotions on the digestive system:
Negative emotions have a great negative impact on the digestive organs, such as Stomach and intestines.
It can also give rise to Osteoporosis, that means lack of bone density due to decreased Calcium.
If negative emotions remain present for a longer time in an individual, then it leads to formation of acids in the stomach, thus leading to digestion related problems such as acidity and ulcers.
Effects of negative emotions on our Heart:
Negative emotions can also result in Heart related diseases.
Psychological pressures can happen to anyone. Very highly placed individuals or very mediocre individuals. While the former has the psychological pressure to retain his position in society, the later might be the victim of his own low position in the society.
As such, negative emotions like anxiety, stress, competition, jealousy, self pity, low self esteem, inferiority or superiority complexes, lack of patience, feeling of pride etc. can affect the Heart health, in both extreme cases.
Mental agony can cause great damage to the nerves in our body. Mental pain is much more difficult to deal with, as compared to the physical pain.
Strong emotions can pressurize an individual, thus causing stiff nerves.
This results in nervous disorder, which is very difficult to tackle.
What kind of people get affected by mental illnesses?
Very emotional people, who think with their heart and not mind; those who think too much about the consequences, their decisions may have on their loved ones, might always live in a state of fear, anxiety and tension.
This also prevents them from taking decisions and solving issues.
All these lead to psychological pressures, causing pain, headaches, stomach upsets etc.
Anxiety and Tensions:
Insecurities and fear may cause anxiety. But sometimes, anxiety is habitual and some people are anxious, even in favourable circumstances.
This kind of habitual anxiety, may be due to a mental disease.
Does negative emotion overpower you?
Music calms you down, source: You tube
Mind - body connection, our emotional health. Source: YouTube
© 2014 Chitrangada Sharan