Weight Loss and Nutrition Myths - Lose Weight Naturally When You Are Older
Do you eat healthy to keep in shape?
Overcoming Weight Loss and Nutrition Myths
Weight loss and nutrition myths make if very difficult for many when it comes to getting fit and trim. It is important to identify these myths so that you can ignore and overcome them. Keep reading and find out more so that you can achieve your weight loss goals without getting sidetracked by the myths.
The Weight Loss and Nutrition Myths
To begin, let’s list some of the common weight loss and nutrition myths that you will come across. They include:
1. Eating right is of no importance if you exercise.
2. Follow everything to the finest detail and you will lose weight quickly.
3. Eat nothing but fruits and vegetables if you want guaranteed weight loss.
4. Supplements and diet plans promoted by doctors and nutritionists are guaranteed to produce results.
5. Set your weight loss goals low.
These weight loss and nutrition myths sound reasonable but they are still myths. Continue reading and you will see why.
Getting Past the Myths
If you want to get past the myths with regard to weight loss and nutrition, follow these tips:
1. You need exercise but you also need to eat right. It is simple math. You need to burn more calories than you consume. Exercise only burns a certain amount of calories and you will still gain weight if you consume too much.
2. Your doctor is the best one to advise you. Your doctor knows you plus the latest in research to debunk the weight loss and nutrition myths.
3. There is no weight loss without changing your lifestyle. For example, if you consistently eat late and go to sleep, you are going to gain weight. You need to change this part of your lifestyle.
4. Not all fruits and vegetables have low calorie counts. For example, dried fruits have high counts because the water has been removed but the same amount of fruit mass in terms of calories remains.
5. Always consider the heredity factor. It doesn’t mean that there is no hope for you. It just means that you need to work a little harder at getting past the weight loss and nutrition myths.
6. You will be more charged about losing weight if you set your goals high. This doesn’t mean be unrealistic. It just means set your goals high and keep trying to reach them.
7. Not everything you read about weight loss and nutrition has been proven through scientific research. Much of it is just promotional fad hype with no scientific basis.
By now you can see that these myths can put you on the wrong track. When you get past the weight loss and nutrition myths, you will be on your way to achieving your goals in getting fit and trim.
Lose Weight Naturally Even When You Are Older
It is quite common to view photographs of people over the years and see how many have slowly gained weight. It might even be your own photos and now that you are over 50 you don’t know if you can ever lose weight naturally. You don’t want to take medications and you don’t want surgery. What are you to do? There is no need to worry because you can lose weight naturally even when you are older.
Why It Is Difficult
The main reasons why it is difficult to lose weight naturally when you are order stem from causes that just go with aging to include:
1. Muscles begin to fade away. Muscles begin to be replaced by fat tissue as we grow older and especially if they do not get exercise. Fat cells do not burn as many calories as does muscle tissue.
2. You don’t burn as many calories as you did before. Metabolism in general slows down for various reasons in addition to muscle tissue fading away.
3. Menopause might be interfering. Menopause causes the depletion of certain hormones that work to burn fat in women.
4. You are just not as active. People tend to move slower and be satisfied with sitting in their easy chair as they grow older.
There are more reasons too such as an injury that may have limited your movement for several months. However, you see that a combination of natural aging plus decreased activity work together to hinder your efforts to lose weight naturally.
What You Can Do
Here is what you can do if you want to lose weight naturally in spite of being over 50:
1. Get some exercise. However, take it easy on the knees. A stationary bicycle is perfect for moderate exercise or just going for a walk each day.
2. Look for ways to keep active. You’ve heard it before. You can do things like take the stairs instead of the elevator. Get creative.
3. Forget the diets. You probably cannot name one diet that ever worked for anyone in their efforts to lose weight naturally.
4. Speak with your doctor. Your doctor has access to a variety of resources and can advise you of ways to lose weight naturally.
5. Modify the way you eat. Reduce your portion sizes and eat more slowly. When you eat slowly, your body has a chance to signal you that it is full. Don’t skip meals either.
6. Eat for nutrition and not for satisfaction. Comfort eating is probably a leading enemy when it comes to ways to lose weight naturally.
As you can see, there are ways that you can lose weight naturally even when you are older. Give these tips a try and don’t get discouraged if you don’t see results right away. You will see results but persistence is the key.
Diet plus Working Out
Some say that you can achieve weight loss success through DIET ALONE while others say that you can eat what you want as long as you exercise. Well, these are two common myths unless you are a person with the healthy metabolism of a teenager. Diet plus working out and weight loss all go hand-in-hand if you want to see real results.
Why Diet Plus Working Out?
Here are a few reasons why diet plus working out is the most effective path to real weight loss:
1. It builds confidence which helps to change the lifestyle. When you start to see results from eating right and working out, you will naturally become more confident which helps to stick with achieving your goals.
2. More calories are burned than diet alone. Exercise that increases the heart rate and is sustained for at least 30 minutes begins to use stored fat cells to fuel muscles after burning what you ate for the day. See more below about the calorie deficit that goes along with diet plus working out and weight loss.
3. Muscle tissue does not deteriorate as quickly with age. Working out and weight loss go hand-in-hand with keeping muscles from deteriorating. Muscle tissue tends to deplete with age but working out fights this process. Plus, muscle tissue burns more calories than fat cells.
4. You have more ability to control your appetite. Working out and weight loss go together because the exercise motivates you to eat right and not overeat. You don’t overeat simply because mentally you like what the exercise is doing for you. However, do not skip meals because this will have the opposite effect.
5. You will have a better mood. Another reason why working out and weight loss go hand-in-hand is because exercise releases endorphins that boost the mood. When you have a better mood, you won’t be tempted to indulge in comfort foods.
These are just some of the reasons why working out and weight loss work together in harmony.
Calorie Deficit is the Key
Without creating a calorie deficit, the bottom line is that you are not going to lose weight. Everyone based on their age and weight need a minimum number of calories just for their bodies to function. Consider that a heavier person needs more calories to sustain their weight. The key is to gradually reduce that caloric intake over time thus the body will get the remaining calories it needs from stored fat cells.
Working out and weight loss go together because the exercise forces the body to draw on those caloric reserves better known as fat.