PAIN IN THE EAR
COMPLAINT OF A CHILD
Your child comes to you and says that he is feeling pain in his/her ear from evening.
What you should do?
First, you should examine his/her ear for any bruise, discharge or cut. Then examine his/her finger nail whether it is full of dirt or clean. Cut his/her long nail because it could be dangerous either for him/her or somebody else.
Next you should ask him/her a few questions like:
1) In which ear are you feeling pain?
2) Can you hear me properly?
3) Did you put anything in your ear?
4) After bathing did you feel that water drop is still in your ear?
5) Did you try to clean your ear with cotton bud or something else like hair pin or long finger nail?
If you are a doctor, then examine his/her ear with an otoscope to see the middle ear and tympanic membrane.
If there is a middle ear infection, the tympanic membrane will look red and congested.
What treatment you should give?
Put two drops of lidosporine in his/her effected ear one to two times per day. If the pain persists you must take your child to an ENT specialist.
What treatment should be given?
1) Pain killer tablets or syrup.
2) Antibiotic cover at least for five days.
3) Avoid cold and sour things.
Doctor will examine your child's throat and nose also because due to cold, flu, sinusitis, and tonsillitis sometimes infection can reach your child's ear also.