- Alternative & Natural Medicine»
- Home Remedies
Panikoorka, the natural anti-pyretic and home remedy for cough, cold and fever in children and adults
Panikoorka, the natural medicine for children in India
Panikoorka is popularly used in South Indian states, especially Kerala, to treat cough and cold in children. Leaves of panikoorka is used for treating different health problems. Panikoorka is the herb with the name Plectranthus amboinicus. It is known as Pathar choor (in hindi), Navara (in Malayalam), karpooravalli (in Tamil) or Indian borage. Panikoorka is traditionally known to be having numerous therapeutic effects.
Panikoorka is the natural medicine specially meant for children. In South India people say that you should grow panikoorka in your house if you have children. This is because, panikoorka is an effective natural medicine for children.
Panikoorka as a home remedy for kids and adults - How to use panikoorka for different health problems
- Two three drops of panikoorka leaves juice would treat chest congestion, cough, and cold in infants
- Leaves extract of panikoorka can be mixed with honey and applied on mother’s breast so that infant will suck it when they drink milk. This is how panikoorka can be given to infants. You can also apply panikoorka leaves on child’s lips.
- Take panikoorka leaves extract and mix it with rock sugar (kalkandam) and give to toddlers for throat infection, cough and cold.
- Two three drops of panikoorka leaves extract, when applied on head, would prevent cough and cold in children and adults.
- Adults suffering from bronchial asthma can consume panikoorka leaves extract mixed with honey and kalkandam.
- Oil with panikoorka leaves fried in it can be applied on head for getting relief from throat pain and fever.
- When you inhale vapor while having cough and cold, put the leaves of panikoorka in it. If you are using a vaporizer, take panikoorka leaves extract in a piece of cotton and put it in the mouth of the vaporizer.
- Inhaling vapors with panikoorka extract would cure cold and fever.
- Nursing mothers can consume panikoorka juice extract so that the infant also get the benefit
- For stomach ailments of children (stomach pain, intestinal worms and other problems), panikkoorka leaves extract can be given. Mix the juice with sugar and give to children three times a day.
- For relieving cough take a mix of panikoorka leaves extract, honey and lemon juice and have two times a day
- For gas trouble and flatulence, take panikkoorka leaves extract, mix it with honey and heat it till it is warm. Have this mix two times a day.
Panikoorka, the natural remedy for fever
Panikoorka is a famous home remedy for cold, fever and cough in children. Panikoorka is considered as a great remedy for fever. Leaves of panikoorka or karpooravalli is squeezed and the juice is taken. A teaspoonful of this juice when given to babies would cure their cough, cold, fever, sore throat, nasal congestion and chest congestion. Adults should take 2 tablespoonful of panikoorka leaf extract to relieve their fever. Panikoorka is given in adults to relive malaria fever.
Panikoorka, the natural remedy for chronic cough and bronchial asthma in children and adults
Boil the leaves of panikoorka in 1 cup water. 2 tablespoonful of this decoction can be given to children for curing their cough, and bronchitis. Grown up people can take quarter cup of this natural medicinal decoction for getting relief from chronic cough and bronchial asthma. Panikoorka is most effective in children. Panikoorka is the natural expectorant for children. Asthma patients can regularly take panikoorka extract for relief. For excess phlegm and chest congestion in infants and toddlers, panikoorka is a great remedy.
Panikoorka (karpooravalli) for arthritis
Panikoorka is found to be a natural medicine for arthritis. Boil leaves of panikoorka in water. This decoction taken for several days is found to reduce arthritis problem.
Panikoorka for urinary diseases
Decoction of panikoorka is traditionally used for urinary diseases in adults. Taking panikoorka decoction several times, for 1 week would give good result.
Panikoorka for epilepsy
In India panikoorka is traditionally given to epilepsy patients to treat epilepsy attack.
Panikoorka for skin problem and poisonous insect bites
Applying panikoorka leaves extract is found to be good for itching, allergy, infection, wounds etc. For insect bite and scorpion bite, applying panikoorka leaves extract would help.
Panikoorka for nursing mothers
Panikoorka is also found to be improving lactation in nursing mothers. Moreover, the health benefits will be transferred to the child through milk.
Panikoorka for ulcer, indigestion and diarrhea
Stomach ailments, indigestion, gas problem and diarrhea can be treated using panikoorka leaves extract. Taking panikoorka leaves extract daily would relieve ulcer problem also.