- Alternative & Natural Medicine
Papaya - Health Benefits of Papaya
Health Benefits of Papaya
Papaya is a tropical fruit, grown and used in almost all continents because of its amazing health benefits. The papaya tree grows fast and abundantly. The ripe fruit is orangish golden colour and the raw ones (unripe) are green in colour. The Mayans used to worship Papaya tree as the 'Tree of Life' because of its many benefits. Low in calories and high in nutritive value, papaya is a great gift from Mother Nature, to heal several ailments. Knowing these benefits, many people include this delicious fruit in their diet.
Papayas are used for culinary purposes, medicinal purposes, and manufacturing beauty products. The leaves, fruits and seeds are highly beneficial for various purposes. Papayas are also known as Papaw and Pawpaw in some countries. Papain enzyme is also highly useful.
The nutritional and healing properties of papaya are known for ages. Papaya is available year round unlike some other fruits which are seasonal. Moreover, papayas are cheaper when compared to many other healthy fruits.
- Reduces acne and other skin problems and provides a glowing skin
- The potassium content in papaya lowers blood pressure.
- The beta carotene in papaya reduces the risk of asthma
- The beta carotene in papaya reduces the risk of colon cancer
- Vitamin A in papaya increases the growth of all bodily tissues, including skin and hair.
- Eye Health - Decreases the risk and progression of age-related macular degeneration. The report of a study published in the Archives of Ophthalmology indicates that eating 3 or more servings of fruit per day may lower your risk of age-related macular degeneration.
- Weight loss – Since Papaya is low in calories eating the fruit regularly helps in reducing weight.
- Bones – Papaya contains Vitamin K which increases bone health and reduces damage to the bones.
- Diabetes - Lowers the blood sugar levels in diabetic patients. One medium papaya provides about 4.7 grams of fibre. .
- Papaya promotes good bowel movements and hence prevents constipation.
- Protects from Rheumatoid Arthritis, as per the findings of a study published in .Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases.
- Unripe papaya is also used as meat tenderizer.
Papaya leave juice for Dengue fever - How to prepare
Papaya Leaf Juice - Benefits
There are studies showing the Benefits of Papaya Leaves. Dr. Sanat Hettige, a general physician in Sri Lanka has published his findings on this study in Sri Lankan Journal of Family Physicians in 2008
Dengue fever - The deadly disease of Dengue Fever is known to have cured by consuming Papaya leaf juice. (See the video to know how the juice form papaya is extracted). The enzymes in Papa Leaf Juice normalizes the platelet count and improves the clotting factor, thus repairs the liver damage caused by Dengue fever.
Papaya leaves - Health Benefits
Where to buy Papaya seeds online
Benefits of Papaya Seeds
Though Papaya seeds are not generally eaten they too contain medicinal properties.
Worms - Papaya seeds contain high levels of proteolytic enzymes like papain which can help rid of worms.
Bacterial infections - Papaya seeds are believed to have high antibacterial and anti-inflammatory effect in treating against E coli, Salmonella, Staph and other dangerous bacterial infections.
Liver Cirrhosis - Because of the liver regenerating properties, Papaya Seeds are also useful in treating Liver Cirrhosis, a condition where the liver shrinks and becomes hard due to excessive use of alcohol over many years. Since the papaya enzyme may interfere with other medications you should consult your treating doctor before using this.
It is also reported that the seeds may contain immunomodulatory compounds that can slow down tumor growth. (Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, April 2011 issue)
Nutritional Values of Papaya
Energy- 163 kJ
Calories- 39 kcal
Sugars- 5.90 gram
Carbohydrates- 9.81 gram
Dietary fiber- 1.8 gram
Fat- 0.14 gram
Protein- 0.61 gram
Vitamin A- 328 micrograms (41%)
Vitamin B1- 0.04 milligram (3%)
Vitamin B2- 0.05 milligram (4%)
Vitamin B3- 0.338 milligram (2%)
Vitamin B6- 0.1 milligram (8%)
Vitamin B9- 38 milligram (10%)
Vitamin C- 61.8 milligram (74%)
Calcium- 24 milligram (2%)
Iron- 0.10 milligram (1%)
Magnesium- 10 milligram (3%)
Phosphorus- 5 milligram (1%)
Potassium- 257 milligram (5%)
Sodium- 3 milligram (0%)
Christopher Columbus and Papaya
Papaya is said to be one of the favorite fruits of Christopher Columbus, the Italian Explorer (1451-1506). After a long voyage, he was landed in America, the natives welcomed him and his crew with lavish feast, which resulted them being sick with digestive problems. The natives immediately gave them papayas and cured them surprisingly.
Caution - Papaya Enzyme Side Effects
There are some side effects to papaya. Because of papaya enzyme side effects, those who have allergic reaction to latex, should stay away from using papaya. This delicious fruit has chitanases, often causing the cross-reaction between latex and the foods that contain them.
Pregnant women are not allowed to eat raw papayas, to avoid miscarriage. Papaya has pepsins in their latex that induces contractions in the uterus and lead to miscarriage.
Where to buy Papaya tablets online
The information provided in this hub is for informational and educational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional medical advice. Please consult your physician, or health care provider before taking any home remedies.
There are several health benefits for raw (unripe) papaya. Delicious dishes can be made using unripe papaya.
It is also said that green papayas have more nutritional value. Green papayas, which are not turned into orange color outside, but are ripe inside, are useful for more ailments.