Pilates During Pregnancy - Precautions for Pilates While Pregnant
Can I Do Pilates During My Pregnancy?
That question is frequently asked by pregnant women everywhere. Is it safe to do pilates during pregnancy? The answer: yes, you probably can. As always, make sure to consult your doctor before starting any exercise program (especially during your pregnancy!), to make sure that your body is equipped to handle it. Pilates is a very gentle exercise, similar to yoga and has many wonderful benefits for your body.
Why Should You Consider Pilates During Pregnancy? This article will outline the following topics of interest related to pilates during pregnancy.
- How Pilates is Different When You're Pregnant
- Benefits of Pilates During Pregnancy
- Safety Precautions of Pregnant Pilates
- View Prenatal Pilates Videos at the end of this article.
How Pilates is Different When Your Pregnant
Chances are you've already tried pilates or know a friend who swears by it. Pilates when you're pregnant is very important in order to help build your abdominal muscles, back muscles and pelvic muscles to assist your body through child birth and to carry around the extra weight that pregnancy will put onto your body. It is not recommended to do regular pilates programs on your own without any special assistance, whether it be a in-depth pilates pregnancy instruction video or even private classes at your local health center. Do a google search in your area for pilates pregnancy classes - chances are, they exist! While your pregnant, your pilates should be carefully designed and targeted for pregnant bodies.
Important things before you start:
- Ask your doctor if you should consider pilates during your pregnancy.
- Locate an instructor, group classes, or in-depth instructional video to avoid injury to your or your baby.
- Do NOT overdo it! You could risk damage to you and your baby by overdoing any form of exercise during your pregnancy(running, yoga, pilates, etc.)
Benefits of Pilates During Pregnancy
If done correctly, pilates during your pregnancy can really benefit your body, your baby and even your spirit and sense of self. Continue with pilates after your pregnancy to enjoy a fast and relaxing way to 'getting your body back!'
- Strengthen and build back, pelvic & abdominal muscles
- Increase the flow of blood to your joints
- Help increase the level of your energy
- Keeps you physically fit and inhibits unnecessary weight gain during pregnancy
Safety Precautions and Pregnant Pilates
Again, please make sure to consult your doctor and make sure that you have some basic fundamentals down before embarking on your own pregnant pilates program.
- Don't overdo it - Listen to your body; stop immediately if you feel faint or light-headed.
- Watch your balance (your center of gravity has changed!)
- Acquire comfortable exercise mats to properly cushion yourself.
- Do not over-extend and strain your lower back.
- And one more time - consult your physician before you attempt to do ANY exercise during your pregnancy.
By taking these precautions into consideration, the benefits of pilates during your pregnancy can greatly help you to become more fit during and after your pregnancy.