Causes, Treatment, and Pictures of Pimples in the Ear -
Can you get a Pimple in ear?
Although it is uncommon you can get a pimple in ear but this does not mean that it will necessarily appear at the entrance of your ear. They may occur deep inside your ear canal. With this type of infection children are prone to it than adults are. The reason is that children like to use their fingernails to scratch in the inside of their ear. Having a pimple in ear can sometimes cause a sharp pain in your ear and very annoying. If it is in the ear canal a person may feel heat in the ear and after a few days it is filled with pus and starts draining.
There can be a variety of causes for having a pimple in ear, which can include:
- Many times when you scratch the inside of your ear your fingernails are not clean so this can lead to an infection that turns into a pimple because they made an open scratch, allowing bacteria to get inside the scratch. Although this can happen to both adults and children, this is a more common cause of pimple in ear in children.
- Having trapped sebum in a pore and if cannot be released a pimple will happen
- Having an infection of the skin pores inside your ear.
- Having a causative organism such as staphylococcus bacteria.
There are many different treatments that you can use to get rid of pimple in ear. If it a mild or moderate case you can take care of it at home but if you have several of them and they are causing pain you may need to see your dermatologist for treatment. If your dermatologist treats them you may need surgery or injections. When doing a home treatment you will need to be patient as it can take from six to eight weeks before you see any results. For pimples in ear to totally clear up it can take as long as six months or more. You need to make sure that you keep your hair clean and away from your ears to help prevent any breakouts after you get rid of the pimple(s). Make sure that you do not break it open or pick at it because this will cause the bacteria to spread to other parts of your ear or body.
- You can wash your ears with soap and water followed up by an application of topical medication you can get at your pharmacy or local department store. Make sure that you wash your ears gently at least two times a day so you do not aggravate your skin and cause more pimples. Just use a warm washcloth with a little mild soap to wash the area where the pimple in ear is located. If it is in the ear canal do not pour water down the channel.
- After you have let the area dry you can apply the topical medication to the area with the pimple. The medication should have the ingredients of salicylic acid, resorcinol, or sulfur if you have whiteheads and/or blackheads. To help with the excess oil production it should have the ingredient benzyl peroxide.
- You can also put some hydrogen peroxide on a cotton ball and clean the area where the pimple is.
- If you have a pimple in your ear canal you can mix a tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide and warm water and put it in your ear canal. You will hear it fizzing so let it stay inside for a few minutes. Make sure that your head is bent so the solution will stay inside, and then turn to the opposite side to drain it out. You can do this two or three times a day.