Handwashing - Correct Procedure
Wash Your Hands Correctly
I work in the medical industry; I spend a lot of time in the operating room and with physicians. Although, I am not a physician, I do understand and know that you should always wash your hands. However, I have seen people at work, at the airport, hotels and other venues that NEVER wash their hands after the go to the bathroom! This is only spreading germs to everything they touch! What has happen to our society that people do not wash their hands? At restaurants, how many have signs in the bathroom to remind employees to wash their hands, how sad is that? I believe that most people should have been raised to understand the importance of washing their hands or just good old fashion hygiene.
Follow the Procedures
I think it is up to us to change our children’s generation and teach them the proper way to wash their hands or better yet to take care of themselves. Below are the basic tips of washing hands, help me spread the word and teach your children, nieces, nephews and friends.
Washing your hands after;
- You blow your nose
- After you cough
- Using the bathroom (you or your child)
- Talking on the telephone
- Played with you dog
- Changed your babies diaper
- Helped a sick relative or friend
- If you don’t wash your hands frequently, then you can spread germs directly to other people or onto surfaces that others will touch.
Trust me; it is easy to spread germs, so here are a few tips on washing your hands thoroughly;
- Use warm water
- Use whatever soap (either antibacterial or regular, doesn’t matter)
- Rub your hands together robustly
- Don’t be afraid to lather up your hands, wrists, in between fingers and scrub your fingernails
- Wash and scrub for 15-20 seconds at least
- Use a clean towel to wipe off
- I prefer not to use air dryers
When I leave the restroom, I use my towel and open the door, then throw the towel away. That is my preferred method instead of using my nice clean hands.
If you use a hand-sanitizer make sure it is alcohol-based, tips on using it correctly;
- Pour into palm of hand (nickel size)
- Rub over hands, wrist, nails and forearms
- Rub until completely dry
I want to share a little bit of data on this too, in 2005 ASM (American Society for Microbiology) did a survey on hand washing, and here were the results of the study;
- 91% of adults said they always wash after using the public restrooms
- 83% said the wash their hands at home after using the restroom
- 32% said they wash their hands after coughing or sneezing
- 21% said they wash their hands after handling money
- 42% said they wash their hands after petting an animal
So stop spreading germs and help prevent spreading infection and illness by washing and teaching your children the proper way of washing their hands. Tell your friends or share this article with your friends. Maybe (like me) you will post a sign in the bathrooms that remind others to wash their hands, like restaurants and other facilities. I hate to do it but we have to change our society and if we start this will decrease sick kids and many others things like higher cost of medicine and insurance. It’s a circle, I know but let’s try and starting changing it for the better of our children.
- How to get rid of undereye circles naturally
Most of us at some point will have to deal with dark circles under our eyes. Whether it be due to stress, lack of sleep, a hang-over, or just from ageing. The good news is that there are a lot of simple at-home ways to treat them. There is no need...
- Top Books You Must Read In Your Lifetime!
Books are a gift, start reading, read the books that make you feel the emotions that the authors are trying to portray. Here are the top most recommended books to read before you die. 15 books, so go out there and start reading!
- My Letter to God
I wrote a letter to God, my wish list
- Anti-bacterial soaps and hand sanitizers: helpful or...
I chose to answer this request as I feel as though it's something I can answer from both a personal and (loosely) professional prospective. A few weeks ago I noticed a lot of people in my workplace coughing,...
- Hand Sanitizers: The Real Truth
Who wouldn't be tempted with the guarantee of killing %99.9 of the germs leading to common sicknesses, and a fruity scented aroma to boot. Hand sanitizers nowadays have emerged as indispensable as your comb....