- Alternative & Natural Medicine
Potassium and You
The importance of Potassium
Potassium is more important than most people think.
- It is a mineral that helps our kidneys function properly.
- It helps prevent the onset of osteoporosis.
- The proper level of potassium helps lower blood pressure while helping the heart beat properly. It is important for normal digestion and correct muscular function.
- Potassium also help lower the risk of strokes.
- The proper amount of potassium intake can also help prevent kidney stones.
The best way to obtain a healthy level of potassium is by following a heart-healthy diet. Heart-healthy diets contain healthy levels of potassium from fruit, vegetables and legumes. What are legumes you might ask. A few examples of pods contained in the legume family are: alfalfa, clover, peas, beans, lentils, soy and peanuts.
Staying healthy with a potassium rich diet is just a matter of eating foods high in potassium. It sounds hard but it is so much easier than you think. Some people may need a supplement or vitamin to help them along. Make sure you get advice from your doctor.
What causes an insufficiency of potassium?
If you are plagued with any of these diseases or have noticed any of these things happening to you please try to help yourself by eating healthier and see a doctor.
- insufficient intake of potassium in diet
- eating disorders such as anorexia or bulimia
- excessive vomiting
- magnesium deficiency
- renal disease
- side effects of antibiotics and diuretics
- thyroid problems
- overuse of laxatives
- excessive drinking of alcohol
Symptoms of low Potassium levels
There are many symptoms of low potassium, the following are the ones that are most noticed. If you have some of these symptoms please see a doctor.
heart problems including palpitations
fainting due to low blood pressure
If you have a combination of these symptoms you should get in touch with a doctor and have them check out your potassium level. A low potassium level is nothing to play with.
Good food sources of potassium
Fish and Meat:
Absolutely Delicious Potassium Rich Smoothie Recipe
1 cup frozen strawberries
1 cup plain non-fat yogurt
1 medium banana, sliced
1 kiwi fruit, sliced
1 1/2 tsp honey
1 cup water
Blend all ingredients until smooth and thick.
Potassium Rich Avocado Orange Salad
Ingredients of salad:
1 bag prepared salad greens
2 oranges, chopped
1 avocado, chopped
1 to 2 tbsp sunflower seeds
Ingredients of salad dressing:
2 tbsp lime or lemon juice
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp finely chopped cilantro
1/4 tsp salt
dash of red pepper
Directions: Arrange green on a platter and top with oranges, avocados and scattered sunflower seeds. Whisk together all of the dressing ingredients and drizzle over salad.
- How to Leach Potassium in Vegetables
At first glance, an article dedicated to lowering select and useful minerals may seem like nit-picking to the majority of food-lovers. As I write this, Rome's baking thirty-three degree sun is causing me to sweat-out valuable nutrients that I will...
- Potassium and Lower Blood Pressure
An overview of potassium, potassium compounds, potassium-rich foods, and potassium supplements. How much potassium do you need? Can it lower blood pressure? Find out!
- At Risk of Having A Stroke - Can Potassium Help?
Potassium is an essential nutrient for body health but can it also help to prevent strokes?
- Symptoms and Causes of High Potassium in Blood
An excess amount of potassium in the blood and other body fluids (a condition called
- High Potassium Foods - What They Are & Why You Shoul...
The average American eats less than half the daily recommended amount of potassium. Find out why you should up your protein intake, and the best high protein foods you can eat to do so.
- Health Benefits of Potassium
Most consumers and health food gurus, as well as the average health food nuts are well acquainted with the important of potassium being one of the body's main essential minerals needed for optimal health. ...