Procrastination And How It Is The Killer Of Dreams
Too Long ,To Do Too Little
Procrastination has affected the lives of so many of us, and it is common among the young and old. A common misconception is that procrastination is a sign of laziness. Many hardworking driven people are in fact, serial procrastinators. Procrastination is a monster that feeds upon it's own self to grow. The longer one procrastinates , the easier it is to continue in it.
It is tricky because it tells one ,that which they wish to accomplish can be delayed until tomorrow, and becomes until next week, next month, next year, and before we know it- decades have passed.
It is not to be said either that procrastinators are not ambitious. In fact, quite often, the oppostie is true. It is however true that the amount of ambition to patience, is greatly imbalanced. Too often we want instant results, and instead of accomplishing at the least, something. We sit idle and accomplish nothing.
We can often think of procrastination in terms of big things like writing that novel, or going back to school. Yet we can often hold off things like cleaning the garage, or painting that spare room.
HERE ARE A FEW ANTI-PROCRASTINATION MEASURES:
- TAKE SMALL STEPS TOWARD YOUR GOALS OR TASKS. Even small steps are better than no steps at all. Rome was not built in a day.
- POSITIVE AFFIRMATION. Look in the mirror and affirm your plans to yourself. Keep repeating to yourself what you WILL do.
- AS A PROVERB SAYS: Each journey begins with one step.
- DON'T REMIND YOURSELF OF PAST FAILURES OR MISSED OPPOURTUNITIES.
- DON'T GET STUCK IN PAST ACHIEVEMENTS. Although it's good to be mindful and thankful of past accomplishments; you can perhaps lose out on future endeavors if stuck in the past. Heading toward new accomplishments, small and big is like a small bit of 'rebirth'.
- MAKE A LIST. Keep mental notes too, of what you set out to do. Credit yourself when they are done.
- BE REALISTIC. Don't look too far ahead.
- SET ASIDE SOME TIME. To do what needs to be done (within reason). Don't give in to distractions, and unnecessary demands on your time.
DON'T LISTEN TO NEGATIVITY. Don't let anyone tell you: you're too old, too young, you never will, you never have before, you're too slow, too fast, or any such thing.
Negativity is like that cheap, harsh cologne when it's been sprayed on too thick ; it lingers in the air and chokes. When it comes to negativity and those who dispense it don't procrastinate or hesitate in getting away!