Little things you can do to save money and Go Green!
Landfills FULL of paper and plastic
Reusable Grocery Bags
Save Money & Go Green Easily!!
Do you want to "go green", slow down the rapid depletion of our natural resources, AND save money doing it? Tell me what you think:)
First of all, I am an extremely frugal person, so I've been doing this for years.
I believe that if every person in the U.S. switched to water purifiers, used recyclable grocery bags (only cost around $1.00), and quickly disassembled every box that they threw away (food boxes, boxes from gifts, medicine boxes, and yes, even tampon boxes) it would dramatically slow down the process of toxins entering the soil that our grandchildren will play on and the water they will drink. Here's how I do it:
As soon as a cereal box is emptied, I quickly disassemble it along its seams, fold it flat, and toss it in the garbage can. You could also have an entirely separate bin just for boxes/paper. I'm so used to doing it now with every box I touch, I don't even realize I'm doing it! You'd be amazed at how little time it takes to form the habit...lol. Have the kids do it, it can be kind of fun for them, or add it to their chore list.
I myself have just started using the recyclable grocery bag and I must say that I'm NOT throwing away about 40 plastic bags a month! And I'm only one person, one family. Think about that.
I use a regular tall kitchen wastebasket and I know for a fact that I'm saving MY family time and money, because I can fit about 4 times the garbage into one bag! Therefore,
1. You waste less time running garbage out (I have a family of five and took a bag of garbage out nearly every day)
2. You're saving 50%-75% on garbage bags, which can end up being about $40.00 a year. It may not seem like much, but it is $40.00 you didn't have before! And you'll save even more if you resort to a water purifier (therefore, no plastic bottles which you'll see a lot of in the photo below) and a recyclable, reusable grocery bag!
3. There would be 50%-75% fewer plastic grocery bags, garbage bags, and bottles in the ground!
4. Number 3 translates to at least 50% less garbage going to our landfills every day!
5. If it's an option where you live, you could ask your sanitation company to hold off on one or two pick-ups a month. You could possibly save money on your garbage bill. But even if you had to continue paying the same amount for the bill, wouldn't you feel great about the fact that you are literally helping save the earth, ?! One box at a time!
And please, PLEASE buy a water purifier and a couple reusable grocery bags...VERY important, small things you can do to better our world for today and tomorrow! Plastics in landfills contain methane gases that are depleting the ozone. See photo. You will see some paper and box materials, but most of what you see is plastic.
Please leave comments:)
- 9 Ways to Go Green, Without Breaking Your Wallet!
Save the Planet, By saving Energy! There are so many people out there who think going green has to be expensive. While there are products out there that do cost a lot of money. There are also many cheap...
- Save Money and Go Green: 10 Easy Steps
It's 2009 and our world is no longer the same. "The time has come," President Obama has stated. We can no longer wait. We now need to seriously look at how we use energy and how to sustain the earth's...