Pull-up Bars and Circuits Equipment in London Parks
A not totally comprehensive but growing list of which London parks have pull-up bars, circuits equipment, monkey bars, etcetera, for those that want to know.
- Elthorne Park: Monkey bars, pull-up bars at different heights, bench press machine (with a fixed weight -- not sure exactly how much, but not that heavy).
Off Beaumont Rise, Hornsey. Nearest Tube: Archway.
- Russell Park: Gymnastic Rings (!!!) -- the only London park I’ve found that has rings.
Off Westbury Avenue. Nearest Tube: Wood Green.
- Lea Valley / Springfield Park: A brilliant set of wooden monkey bars with nice height and good smooth dowel grips. Three sizes of pull-up bar, but the highest is still kind of low for an adult -- you'll have to pull up your legs to be able to dead hang. There's a sort of obstacle course thing too, but that's probably more for the kids... so go early and have it to yourself.
Off Spring Hill, Hackney. Nearest Tube: Manor House.
- Victoria Park: They've got some shiny new circuits equipment (about time!) -- pull-up bars (two heights, nice bar width), low parallel bars for dips and whatever else you can manage, two poles (I guess for climbing?), plus some hurdles and a balance beam.
Off Victoria Park Road. Nearest Tube: Bethnal Green.
- Primrose Hill: One of the oldest outdoor circuit areas. Pull-up, dip and monkey bars. Obstacle course stuff too.
Off Prince Albert Road. Nearest Tube: Chalk Farm
- Queen's Park: Pull-up bars, dip bars, and benches for sit-ups.
Off Harvist Road. Nearest Tube: Queen's Park
- Castlenau Recreation Ground: Hmm. Hmmm. The council says there's a Sports Point here, but when I lived near I walked down and couldn't find anything. Supposedly the Point is a circle of gym-style workout stations -- bars, press machines, an inclined table (for sit-ups?), a station for forearm-supported leg lifts, etcetera. Check it out if you like.
Off Barnes Avenue, Richmond. Nearest Tube: Hammersmith.
- Kneller Gardens: This is another one where Richmond Council are claiming there are facilities, but I haven't checked. Apparently there's a FitPoint -- which is like a smaller version of the mythical Sports Point with a lat machine and some bars for pull-ups, etcetera.
Off Meadway Road. Nearest Tube: Hounslow Central.
- Hatherhop Park: As with Kneller Gardens.
Off Broad Lane. Nearest Tube: Hounslow Central.
- Battersea Park: Popular with the parkour kids, Battersea has pull-up and parallel bars, balance beams, and a gold Buddha sitting atop a peace pagoda (no, really).
Off Albert Bridge Road. Nearest Tube: Vauxhall.
- Wandsworth Common: Has a spread out circuit trail (hope you like running...) with pull-up bars, ab-benches and beams.
Off Trinity Road. Nearest Tube: Balham.