Motivational Quotes and Tips to Help You Reach Your Fitness Goals
Genetics smiled on me when I was born. Both my parents are and have been thin and are very athletic people and I was blessed with their body types but unfortunately, not their love of exercise. I told myself that exercise just wasn’t “my thing” and somebody had to be on the sidelines cheering everyone else on. I made the signs, woke up early, and supported my family and friends through various races and triathlons. I jokingly referred to myself as “skinny fat” because while I was thin I was definitely not healthy.
But life has a funny way of introducing events in our lives that wake us up and allow us to see things from a whole new perspective. A year and a half ago my husband agreed to do a 5k scavenger hunt at Disney with a co-worker over our anniversary weekend. I was upset about the loss of our time and I asked him why he wouldn’t do the race with me and he answered honestly and said, “I didn’t even think about it. You haven’t run a day in your life and have said in the past you have no intention to.” While the words hurt they were the truth and that was the turning point for me. I asked my sister-in-law, who is an avid runner, to train and partner with me in the race. That was a year and a half ago and since then I have since competed in 4 obstacle course mud races, various 5k’s, a 15k, and one half-marathon. I am currently training for my first triathlon and along the way I have learned that it isn’t easy. You have to make a conscious effort everyday to get up and train because it is always easier to say I’ll start tomorrow. One way I motivate myself to get going is through reading quotes and using other people’s stories as my inspiration. So I am including a list of some of my favorite motivational quotes to help you on your journey.
. “Fear is probably the thing that limits performance more than anything-the fear of not doing well, of what people will say. You’ve got to acknowledge those fears, then release them” –Mark Allen
2. “There is an advantage in the wisdom won from pain.” –Aeschvlus
3. “When a man says ‘I cannot’, he has made a suggestion to himself. He has weakened his power of accomplishing that which otherwise would have been accomplished.” –Muhammad Ali
4. “If you are always allowed to stop training whenever you feel discomfort, you will find it too easy to give yourself permission to quit.” –Jet Li
5. “Be miserable. Or motivate yourself. Whatever has to be done, it’s always your choice.” –Wayne Dyer
6. “It’s always too early to quit.” –Norman Vincent Peale
7. “Setting goals is the first step in turning the invisible into the visible.” –Tony Robbins
8. “Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we catch excellence.” –Vince Lombardi
9. Physical fitness can neither be achieved by wishful thinking nor outright purchase.” –Joseph Pilates
10. “What fits your busy schedule better, exercising one hour a day or being dead 24 hours a day?” –Randy Glasbergen
11. “Pain is weakness leaving the body.” –Tera Childs
12. “You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take.” –Wayne Gretzky
13. “Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.” –Mahatma Gandhi
14. “Ability is what you’re capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.” –Lou Holtz
15. “I’ve missed more than 9,000 shots in my career. I’ve lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I’ve been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I’ve failed over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.” –Michael Jordan
Getting healthy and exercising has its many rewards and benefits but it does take a conscious effort to keep at it and not stop. To keep myself going, I post different quotes and goals around the house in places I see everyday. For example, for my upcoming triathlon, I posted the fastest times from the previous year’s winners on the mirror in my bathroom so I can see it everyday and know what I am working towards. Other good spots include the front and back door, the refrigerator, a vision board, and the underside of the visor in your car. Feel free to contribute any quotes or methods you use to motivate yourself everyday.