Re-Mineralizing Charcoal Toothpaste
Is It Possible to Make a Healthy Toothpaste at Home?
My quest to make sure I know the ingredients in my products and my drive to ensure I am always avoiding certain added ingredients (such as fluoride), I knew I had to find an awesome option for a toothpaste that was all-natural and free of the chemicals I have to avoid. At first, I considered attempting the natural tubes of toothpaste in the stores, but quickly discovered, there are ingredients in those I need to avoid as well.
I wanted something easy to make, packed full of wonderful ingredients to help clean and even remineralize teeth, and so much more! That's why after numerous attempts to create the perfect toothpaste for our home and family. After attempting a variety of recipes, the choice to combine recipes was born, and shortly after this, the perfect recipe was uncovered!
There are a large number of amazing benefits packed within these ingredients created the answer to the search for the replacement so desired. Each month, a new batch is made, and the benefits which have arrived include whitening, strengthening, and even helps with regrowth!!! All of these were things which could not be accomplished without various types of store-purchased kinds of toothpaste, are found in one wonderful container (or if you prefer a tube).
Simple, Healthy, Natural Toothpaste
Start Realizing the Dangers
Understanding the Benefits of the Ingredients
Before moving forward, it is important to understand all the benefits to be uncovered when looking at the ingredients in this recipe. Since the benefits in some cases can be numerous, it is best to look at the primary benefits!
- Activated Charcoal: This is perhaps the one which needed to remain in the final recipe, even if many other aspects change. Activated Charcoal has a long list of benefits for use in toothpaste, including but not limited to an all-natural whitening agent, balancing oral microorganisms in the mouth, prevent cavities, remineralization of teeth, and also assists in preventing bad breath. One
- Coconut Oil: Again, a major ingredient in many of the products made in the home, it shouldn't be a surprise this would also be a star in toothpaste! Again, there are a number of benefits, but the main ones include: containing lauric acid (a natural antibacterial agent!), slows down tooth decay, does not erode the natural tooth enamel, assists in soothing the inflammation in gums, and another awesome benefit is that it is inexpensive.
- Baking Soda: This can also be recognized as Sodium Bicarbonate, and also has a lot of great benefits when using in toothpaste! In fact, before discovering the recipe here, mixing baking soda and coconut oil was what was utilized. That being said, the reason it is an excellent addition includes the work it does in neutralizing acid, removing plaque from teeth, freshening the breath, reducing irritation to the gums, and it's the ability to offer a thorough cleaning when used to brush teeth!
- Bentonite Clay: Once again, another amazing ingredient when combined with this awesome toothpaste, but because of it's addition, you will have to avoid metal when combining the ingredients! This wonderful additive assists as a mild abrasive to remove plaque without damaging the gums or teeth, while it also kills oral bacteria, sterilizes the mouth, and helps to freshen the breath!
- Eggshells: Yes, this sounds like an odd ingredient, but once you boil and turn eggshells into powder, the benefits are amazing! This ingredient is vital because the trace minerals and calcium contained in eggshells help to reduce plaque and rebuild enamel! Not only this but by including them in toothpaste, you can prevent cavities!
- Xylitol: This may sound like an odd ingredient, but I promise, it is a necessary one when creating "the perfect toothpaste." One, it is a sweetener which can help with the flavor of your homemade toothpaste, but it also has wonderful benefits outside of improving the flavor! It's a natural antibiotic which can neutralize the bacteria in the mouth which can cause cavities, reduces the build-up of plaque, and also helps in preventing the loss of enamel!
- Himalayan Salt: Like eggshells, this ingredient contains trace minerals which are important in creating a "perfect" toothpaste. The trace minerals found in the salt assist in healing teeth!
- Essential Oils: Here, a list of the essential oils are all geared towards cleansing the teeth, gums, and mouth, helps freshen breath and also provides a wonderful flavor! The essential oils which have worked out in creating the flavor and healing benefits sought when preparing toothpaste are Clove, Frankincense, Cinnamon, Peppermint, and Spearmint.
Who Cares if my Toothpaste is Black?
How can Black Toothpaste be Good for the Teeth?
One of the most common questions I have been asked when people hear about my toothpaste is how I can be so comfortable and excited about the benefits of my "black" toothpaste. When being honest, it's easy to understand because it was an initial response when the search for the perfect toothpaste began. Then, within a month of recipes utilizing charcoal, it became obvious that the use of activated charcoal (which gives the toothpaste the black color) was mandatory.
The ingredient was first added, it was purely for the heavy metal detox benefits, but quickly the other benefits were revealed and the added ingredient makes a mandatory ingredient. I watched as years of stains and damage, as well as plaque build-up began to fade and quickly disappear. In terms of the stains, understand, while chemical laden kinds of toothpaste can remove the appearance of stains, they do not work to remove the stains. Adding activated charcoal to a homemade toothpaste helps to truly whiten teeth, returning their natural luster and beauty!
Another awesome benefit from the "black" toothpaste is the natural pH balancing properties which are wonderful for removing plaque buildup and as a result, helps to keep breath fresh! Overall, the Activated Charcoal, which creates the color of this toothpaste, is a major component in creating excellent oral and dental health.
Realizing this, it became mandatory that the final product would include activated charcoal and as a result, leads to the unique color of the toothpaste. The first few times, you may experience the same discomfort I felt, but I promise, give it time and you will be grateful for this amazing all-natural ingredient!
Creating Powdered Eggshells
- 3 tablespoons activated charcoal
- 8 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon aluminum-free baking soda
- 4 tablespoons bentonite clay
- 2 tablespoons eggshell powder
- 1 tablespoon xylitol
- 1 teaspoon himalayan salt
- 10 drops clove essential oil
- 10 drops frankincense essential oil
- 10 drops cinnamon essential oil
- 30 drops spearmint essential oil
- 30 drops peppermint essential oil
- 1-8 tablespoons distilled water, only if you need to "thin" your toothpaste
- Use a pyrex bowl and pour all ingredients but the essential oils in together.
- Mix the ingredients with a wood or plastic spoon until well combined and the desired paste consistency forms.
- You may need to add some distilled water to ensure that your paste is thin enough.
- Add the essential oils, mixing well.
- Once the oils are combined, you might want to taste to see if you want to increase your essential oils for a more pleasing flavor.
- After accomplishing the perfect flavor, place in a glass or plastic container (I have used travel bottles to have a tube with great success).
- Use daily as you would a store-bought toothpaste!