- Personal Health Information & Self-Help»
- Mentally & Emotionally Balanced Living
Reasons To Avoid The News
It's Hard to Be Happy
I don't watch, listen to or read the news. I find the media try to scare people, frequently give false information in order to manipulate and being from what apparently is one of the most depressed and pessimistic countries in the world (UK), I find it easier to keep a happy outlook by avoiding the news. I trust that if there is something I need to know, like something major happening, the people around me and on sites like Facebook will be talking about it.
The News, like most media, is highly controlled and censored to show only what those in charge want you to know. If you compare the stories from the media news and what gets shown on social sites, there's quite a big difference! But like most authority figures, not many people question the motivations or sincerity of what is being told. Clever editing can turn the innocent against each other, make heroes look like criminals and vice versa.
I mean this as no exaggeration: We would all be a lot healthier, happier and wealthier if we questioned everything we were told.
It's Not As Bad As It Seems
I think with such a focus on the depressing the modern world has lost sight of a pretty important fact...this is an amazing planet with amazing things happening every second!! We just don't get to hear about them.
How often do you stand in a queue and hear people say things like 'Kids today...', 'That's disgraceful...', tut-tut, huff and sigh because they are so caught up on the bad stuff. So what if you have to wait a few minutes because the checkout assistant is faffing about, is it the end of the world? Is someone going to die because you couldn't buy that sweater 5 minutes faster? Be grateful that you have the access and funds to buy it in the first place! Use those 5 minutes to ponder life, make up a story, have a chat, think about the progress you've made recently and if things aren't going to plan come up with a plan to correct it and make life easier.
Yes it is important to be informed but there is such a thing as news overload, especially when the good news never seems to reach the airwaves. Seek out positive and happy news, stuff that inspires you and makes you say instead 'Good on them...', 'That's fantastic..', and that makes you laugh, smile and have more energy.
Remember you can't please or save everyone. We can all do our bit and we can all make a difference, but unless you're willing to do something about it what is the point in taking in all this negativity? Most News is sensationalised and designed to promote anger, sadness and hate...for some reason they have decided this makes better ratings.
So I come now to my main point (eventually). This World, our one and only planet is Wonderful! But you're not likely to know that if you watch the news (too much at least).
Don't Take Life So Seriously!
The Internet Era
One of the main reasons we live in such wonderful times is thanks to the internet. Sound like an exaggeration? Read on...
- It opens up the World. You are not bound by location as to who your friends are, who you love, who you share common interests with, or who you can help.
- Business Start ups are not only for those who can afford them now. You can literally set up a business with no extra investments than what you're sitting in front of right now. The power has shifted to the mass from the elite.
- Those who do wrong can't hide anymore. Governments, businesses and individuals who use their power for the wrong reasons, used to be able to get away with it because no one knew the truth~ thanks to highly controlled and consored media. Now, as soon as something is known, there's no way to stop the knowledge spreading like wildfire and these people and organisations now have to be held accountable for their actions.
- You can start a movement and change things you don't like. Again people power. How many times has something (from laws to the Christmas Number 1) been changed or influenced by people showing their support through social networks, online petitions etc.?
- You can learn anything. The Internet is a worldwide library...all you need to do is a quick search and you can find information and experts on I'd imagine any topic possible, however obscure. You can even get qualifications sitting at home in your pants!
- It is a lifeline for those who otherwise could be neglected. There are many people who's entire social and economical life depends on the Internet for various reasons. I remember seeing a documentary about how a particular MMORPG ruined some peoples lives because they became addicted, but they also showed the other side of it too. They showed severely disabled people who were normally judged or shunned by society being accepted for their personalities and gaming skills, making friends and even becoming leaders...isn't that how it should be?
- You can buy ANYTHING. Rather than being told to buy mass-produced and overpriced products by your local high-street or supermarket, you can get better by buying online. Just the fact there are so many powerful handcrafting marketplaces online shows you people want better and now they can get it!
It's not just the internet that makes this Planet so remarkable but it's an amazing tool that opens up the world and hopefully helps us see the good that is out there...
- People are basically good. Yes we make mistakes, but I like to believe that most people wouldn't actually wish harm to those around them and are there when you need them. You just have to ask. Make an effort to help a stranger, you'll be surprised at the positive response you'll get and how good it will make you feel. People are good, they just sometimes need reminding.
- There is SO much beauty. Even in a grey city, lookout for the flower peeking through the pavement cracks and listen for the belly chuckle of a baby, taking pleasure in the simplest of things. It's there, you just have to look for it.
- Technology enables us to live longer, healthier and less stressful lives if we choose to. Think about it...since we were cavemen we've been burning stuff for fuel but relatively recently we have created sustainable energy sources!
With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility
There will always be those that abuse the gifts we have, but it doesn't mean the gift is bad they've just not been used responsibly. People often look at the past and only see the good, but there was never a time when things were perfect~ we are just made more aware of the bad nowadays. Used the right way the present and future are indeed rosy.
Yes there is a lot of sadness and bad things in the world but I do believe the good outweigh them, they're just not talked about as much. The world and humankind has had a lot of past hurts to heal. There's a growing number of people realising that material gain doesn't equal happiness and in order to be truly happy and fulfilled you have to help others and work with nature not for or against it.
Combine that with technology and a growing collective awareness, there is no reason we can't all live in abundance, with no suffering or shortage...quite an amazing thought really.