10 Ways to Relieve Stress at Home
Stress Stress Everywhere!
Handling stress at home can be very difficult, but it can be easier than at other places like your work. At least at home you have a certain degree of controlling it, though if you have children you probably laughed at the idea of control.
Here are some suggestions that I got from polling some of my friends:
1. Cry - Believe it or not crying can be very beneficial and can help calm the spirit. It is a great way to release strong emotions bottled up inside. It doesn't matter if you are a man or a woman - a good cry can be very stress relieving.
2. Meditate - This has become more of a trend but meditation, prayer, has been around for centuries. A way to relax and focus on the big picture while giving our body a needed rest.
3. Clean - This one came from someone who LOVES to clean, but cleaning can be a stress reliever for anyone besides the fact that you can have a clean house as a bonus. It helps you to physically work out frustrations and clears the mind (or was that the chemicals???)
4. Sleep - This is one thing we all need and for some reason believe that we can live without. Our bodies are designed to have a natural stress reliever is just closing our eyes and entering the world of REM (rapid eye movement). When we can get the amount of sleep that our individual bodies need, much of the stress around us is diminished. So sleep in tomorrow!!!
5. Communication - Be open with those in the same house. If there are problems and issues, be open to sitting down and getting it cleared up. The longer issues stew the worse it stresses everyone out.
6. Art - If you are one of those people with the talent of art (drawing, painting, sculpting, etc), then use that for your stress reliever. This can be a way to get out the emotions inside and do it naturally through your gifts. When all is done you'll feel so much better.
7. Dance - You don't have to qualify for Dancing with the Stars to use dancing as a means to relieve stress. Just turn on some music and let loose. You'll be exhausted and ready for that sleep mentioned in #4.
8. Music - Just listen to some music and let yourself go. Listen closely to the words and follow the beat. You'll be mellow in no time.
9. Work out - This is another means to release physical and emotional stress and help your health out. A good walk, run, or intense workout will work depending out you personally and your stress levels.
10. Deep breathing - This works great for my son who deals with severe anger issues. His therapist taught him to go into his room where there would be no additional stress factors and take very deep breaths. After a few minutes he is able to talk and work out issues. If you have ever been taught Lamaze breathing, you'll remember how beneficial it can be.
Personally, taking a walk is the best way for me to relieve stress. I go out into the woods and just walk and walk. Before I know it I'm paying attention to the trees, mushrooms, and flowers and leaving all my worries behind.
Each of these suggestions can work great with kids. My oldest loves a walk, too. My son breathes and works out. My youngest dances it out.