- Diseases, Disorders & Conditions
Resveratrol: A new element for building immunity to fight against Alzheimer’s disease
What is a Resveratrol?
Resveratrol is an antioxidant and a prominent stilbenoid, where stilbenoid is defined as a hydroxylated derivate of an organic compound known as stilbene. The chemical name of resveratrol is 3, 5, 4’-trihydroxy-Trans-stilbene. It is a kind of a phytoalexin and natural polyphenol which is produced by many plants in a natural manner to act against an injury and heal it. It also prevents plants from pathogens (such as fungi, bacteria.) attacks.
Where it is found?
- Plants: Resveratrol is found in plants, most importantly in hellebore and Japanese knotweed.
- Grapes: It is present in Vitis vinifera grapes skin. While in muscadine grapes, it is present in skin as well as in the seeds.
- White Pine: Pinus strobus is the eastern white pine in which Resveratrol is found the most.
- Foods: It is found in fruits like red wine, white wine, sprouted peanuts, mulberries, cocoa powder, baking chocolate and dark chocolate.
- Supplements: Most of the supplements consist of an extract of the plant Japanese knotweed which is not purified. They contain 50-90 per cent of Resveratrol. If take in high amounts, these supplements can have a laxative effect.
How does Resveratrol work in human body?
Resveratrol is an antioxidant that stops free radicals from destroying cell’s DNA. Free radicals are defined as unstable atoms that are injected in body due to sunlight, pollution and have the chances of causing premature ageing, brain degeneration and even cancer.
Blend of Pomegranate, Acacia, Grape Seed, and Green Tea to support healthy skin.
100% All-Natural, extra pure, high potency micronized vitamin supplement
How Resveratrol is useful for human beings?
There is no strong evidence that ensures us that Resveratrol can completely cure any of the following problems but it is observed that it has shown positive results in the following fields many times.
- Slows down the growth of cancer.
- Extremely effective for fighting against skin and gastrointestinal tract tumors.
- Reduces heart disease risk, termed as French paradox.
- Boosts metabolism.
- Prevents skin from ageing.
- Relieves stress and has an antidepressant-like effect.
- Prevents insulin resistance and thus, reducing the risk of diabetes.
- Protects from obesity and its harmful effects.
- Lowers down cholesterol level.
- Protects body against clots.
- Lowers blood pressure.
- Improves elasticity of blood vessels.
- Normalize anti-inflammatory body response.
Resveratrol may cause some serious side-effects if taken with following medicines or supplements:
- HIV protease inhibitors
- Herbal supplements
- Anti-viral medication
Can everyone take Resveratrol?
No, Resveratrol is not good for people falling in following categories:
- Patients having blood disorders.
- People undergoing a surgery.
- Not good for pregnant women and at the time of breast-feeding.
- Children are not allowed to use this antioxidant.
- Not recommended to people with estrogen sensitivity.
When should you not take Resveratrol?
Though Resvertrol is quite an effective medicine for many diseases, yet there are some scenarios in which it may prove to be harmful for the body. These scenarios are as follows:
- Wine is not good during preganacy and breast-feeding and also wine is quite rich in resveratrol. Consequently, intake of resvertrol during such situations is avoided.
- it is said that resvertrol has the risk of increasing the flow of bleeding. Thus, it is not good for people suffering from bleeding disorder.
- Resvertrol works like an estrogen which is unhealthy for people suffering from cancer and endometriosis.
- As already said, Resvertrol is not recommended for people with bleeding disorder, which also makes it unfit for people who have just gone through surgery.
- It should not be taken after intense exercise as it may interfere with the process of oxidation.
Resveratrol has the possibility of slowing down Alzheimer’s disease by building strong immune system
- Alzheimer’s disease is a mental disorder that can cause severe pain to patient, which ultimately leads to death. It passes from generation to generation via genes. There is no cure, with strong evidence, for the disease present in the market.
- Researchers have observed that Resveratrol has the potential to retain the blood-brain barrier integrity and reduce the possibility of harmful immune molecules from getting infiltrated into brain tissues. Blood-brain barrier is known as a blockade that is efficient in preventing proteins as well as other molecules from entering the brain.
- It is important to know that Resveratrol is not a cure to Alzheimer’s disease but it has the power to boost the immune system of the human body.
- In 2015, researchers found that if patient goes under a long-term treatment of Resveratrol, then the disease can be slowed down to a great extent.
- According to a research on 119 patients led by Dr. R. Scott Turner at Georgetown University Medical Center, patients, having daily intake of Resveratrol, had their MMP-9 reduced to 50 per cent. MMP-9 is a short form for metalloproteinase-9 that can cause blood-brain barrier breakdown and lead to higher risk of death by allowing molecules and proteins to enter into the brain.
- Moreover, increased level of Resveratrol in the body also suggested the possibility of degradation and removal of neurotoxic proteins. It has also resulted in the shrinkage of brain which means to reduce the swelling caused due to Alzheimer’s disease.
On the other hand, researchers have also found out that the antioxidant is not capable enough to target tau proteins and prevent them from destroying nerve cells. Read Cure to Alzheimer’s disease: A research revealed a promising new drug to know more about tau proteins and the medicine discovered to destroy them.
Where Alzheimer's disease is a mental disorder, there are many others like this that can ruin your memory as well as mental health. Click here Boost your memory and stay away from the mentioned problems to know about them in detail and home treatments for the same.