Reverse Sugar Addiction
It's that time of the year when everybody is struggling to lose weight. Many will be going to the gym to ward off unwanted fats consumed during the holidays. Some people will be subscribing to weight loss programs to shed off the stubborn pounds. Almost all of us ate foods that we don't normally eat on a regular basis. Foods that are high in sugar, fat, and carbohydrates. Little did we know that most of us are addicted to sugar. According to David Zinczenko, the author of Zero Sugar Diet and Eat This and Not That, people consume 88 grams of sugar a day. Too much sugar can cause diabetes and heart disease. There is a way to get rid off our addiction to sugar. Here are some easy steps.
First of all, you have to test yourself. Zinczenko gave a quiz to the studio audience to test if they are addicted to sugar. There are five questions that you need to answer.
1. Do you have trouble waking up in the morning and crashing during the afternoon?
2. Do you suffer headaches and moodiness?
3. Do you often crave carbs?
4. Do you eat when you are not hungry?
5. Do you feel guilty after eating?
If your answers are mostly yes to these questions, then you are a sugar addict.
We try to eat healthy by choosing healthier options in the grocery aisle. But did you know that some instant foods that we buy are loaded with huge amounts of sugar?
Take for example a microwaveable can of tomato soup. It is healthy to consume but, it has twelve grams of sugar. It is equivalent to eating a piece of donut. Another example would be the lean frozen dinners. Don't let the labels fool you. It may have lean chicken and vegetables, but it has 24 grams of sugar. It is equivalent to 6 spoonfuls of sugar. It is like eating two donuts. Another danger in disguise is a smoothie. We all know that we can drink smoothies since they are made of fruits. But if you drink smoothies day in and day out, you are consuming 11 donuts that are worth 30 spoonfuls of sugar.
One thing you have to keep an eye on is the ingredients found on the labels. These are the specific ingredients you need to look out for when choosing the right product. Dextrose, Cane invert syrup, Maltodextrin, and Fructose. The term sugar is placed toward the end of the list of ingredients. But these are sugars that are broken down into components. If you have all these ingredients in you food, then you are consuming more sugar than you should.
There are new food labels that we should read before buying a product. The new food labels mention the serving size of the product. The term "Calories" are written on a much bigger font size. The new labels will also tell you how many grams of sugar you could consume when you take a bite out of the commodity.
According to Zinczenko, you can curb sugar addiction in 14 days with these steps.
1. During breakfast, lunch, and dinner you should eat foods that have no sugars. These foods are vegetables, beans, and fruits.
2. Power up on the protein. You can find it in yogurt, lean chicken, fish, and eggs.
3. Drink healthy. You can drink unsweetened iced tea and even wine sparingly.
4. Eat oatmeal. It contains fiber and protein. It has 225 calories and has 6 grams of sugar with 12 grams of fiber.
5. Eat steak salad. It has 14 grams of fiber. Mix it with kale and spinach and balsamic vinegar.
6. Popcorn. It only has 120 calories and 6 grams of fiber. Sprinkle with cocoa or cinnamon. Make this as your "go to" snack.
7. For dinner, you can eat whole wheat pizza. You can try the chicken with asparagus flavor. It has 8 grams of fiber with no added sugar. You can drink wine with that since wine only has 1 gram of sugar.
Zinczenko mentioned that we can trick our minds to lose our appetite for sugar. You can eat foods that are rich in tyrosine. These are eggs, Parmesan cheese or any hard cheese, nuts, and yes even bacon.
You can also swap hands when eating. Use your non dominant hand while snacking. You eat 10% to 20% less.
Color code your snacks. We usually eat tortilla chips. Why not be creative when devouring these snacks and consume chips that have color. These colored tortilla chips have 50% less calories.
Save snacks for the afternoon. These will prompt you to eat less provided that you don't over do it.
Curbing sugar addiction is not as hard as it seams. If we are just mindful of what we eat and choose healthier options, then we can lose the excess pounds and crave less sugar.