Revolutionary Cancer Blood Test Detection System Checks For Whole Single Cells
Dreams of Painless Blood Exam To Detect Cancer
Popeye Saves The Earth Pinball
Eat Spinach For Your Health
- Kaempferol found in Spinach may lower ovarian cancer risk
International Journal of Cancer reports increased intake of the flavonoid kaempferol, found in spinach and some cabbages, was associated with a 40 per cent reduced risk of ovarian cancer.
- Eating spinach slashes skin cancer recurrence risk by 55 percent
Do like Popeye and eat your spinach. The researchers found that leafy vegetables such as spinach and silverbeet (chard) were linked to the reduction in skin cancer risk, especially for patients who had a history of the disease.
New Method To Detect Cancer Cells
Multi-million dollar grant — Cancer cells flow through our blood daily and our immune system handles them without our knowledge. We feel nothing and detect nothing that would signal tumor growth. When the system fails, it may take over a decade or more for a developing tumor before we would feel a lump, have blood in the stool, loss of appetite or weakness or other symptoms. We have limited methods of detection today. [See Thermascan]
Researchers have a dream. They hope for the day when screening for the out of control growth of cancer cells can be detected without major intervention such as needle or tissue biopsies. With new technology there appears to be a blood test that we can have in our doctor's office that would tell us if stray cancer cells float in our arteries.
Johnson & Johnson in collaboration with Boston scientists will proceed with further experimentation and evaluation of the effectiveness of this new blood exam. At the present time, I think the test costs a couple hundred dollars or more.
WHAT DOES THIS PORTEND FOR CANCER PATIENTS?
If you have already been diagnosed and presently undergoing treatment
- A simple blood draw sent to the lab could compare whether the rate of cancer cells have diminished or increased to apprise the effectiveness of present treatment
- Less painful tissue samples
- Earlier feedback
- More frequent testing
- Less anxiety or more depending upon how you deal with exams
If you have not been diagnosed and have a high potential risk of cancer
- Regular exams
- Early Feedback
- Reduced anxiety when things are going well
- Quick response when changes to baseline are detected
If you have not been diagnosed and go for regular check ups
- Early detection of changes to blood cells
- Quick response when changes to baseline are detected
Concerns about this type of testing
- How much do we really know and understand about cancer?
- Will such a test prompt early intervention when the body's immune system may handle the changes?
- Will frequent exams cause more or less anxiety?
- Do the researchers really understand the meaning of their discovery?
- Who will review all of the data and the slides to be sure the results are positive or negative?
- What is the rate of false positives?
- Would a change in lifestyle, diet, exercise, vitamin regiment or other preclude severe cancer treatment?
- What is the cost?
- How far into the future until this 'liquid biopsy' will be available to the general public?
- Speculation about the cancer cells activity in the human body may lead researchers in a new direction, we don't know whether that will result in a better detection rate of true cancers or the natural mechanisms of the body to clear cancer cells.
- We hope this work will result in good for mankind, but wonder with any risk-taking venture whether it is a waste of funds that could be spent on improving lifestyle, better nutrition for our entire society, instituting improvements in other areas of our life that could prevent all types of cancer in the long run.
Searching For Whole Cells
At this time, the one lab test available provides a cell count. The new test method makes whole cells available for analysis. Therefore, new methods of analysis may help researchers better understand the mechanism of cancer cells compared to normal cells.
- The test uses a microchip that resembles a lab slide covered in 78,000 tiny posts, like bristles on a hairbrush. The posts are coated with antibodies that bind to tumor cells. When blood is forced across the chip, cells ping off the posts like balls in a pinball machine. The cancer cells stick, and stains make them glow so researchers can count and capture them for study.
- This new lab test can find one cancer cell in a billion or more healthy cells.
- This new patented microchip technology will be developed by Veridex and Johnson & Johnson's Ortho Biotech Oncology unit.
- Mass General, Sloan-Kettering, University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center in Houston and Dana-Farber Cancer Institute in Boston have started testing this technology.
- The $30 milion Seed money flows from the AACR Stand Up To Cancer Donations from The MasterCard Company with a marketing plan that is integrated into FaceBook. Thus, you may be paying for this innovative testing tool if you click their links.
DO WE KNOW WHAT TO DO WITH THIS INFORMATION
Dr Susan Love would probably err on the side of caution, rather than starting cancer treatment too early. ABC reports:
"Having the cells in the bloodstream does not necessarily mean that the cancer will spread and kill you," said Susan Love, president and medical director of the Dr. Susan Love Research Foundation, a breast cancer support and advocacy organization. "Just because you find them does not mean you know what to do with the information."
HAVE YOUR SAY POLL
Please enter your own ideas how $30 million dollars could be spent to help alleviate cancer in our lives. I have listed a few innovative ideas which are based upon my personal belief that cancer develops when we maintain a high level of stress, emotional discord, unhealthy living habits and live in a polluted environment.
Check This Poll | Have Your Say
Is the $30 Million Dollars Well Spent By Continuing This Line of Research?
- Homeopathic Cancer Remedy | A Tipping Point
The time has come for the scientific, medical and research communities to take a close look at the positive benefits of homeopathy. Major recognized researchers and physicians are bringing this to light.
- Homeopathy and The Memory of Water with Benveniste
Homeopathy is an unfolding of discoveries to explain observable effects we see transpire in patients. Homeopaths observe and utilize these experiences, yet cannot fully explain in using today's scientific model the mechanisms behind its results. Let
- Quit Smoking Trends Electric Smokeless Tobacco and Q...
Homeopathy helps reduce cravings for tobacco. Do you think E-Cigarettes is a healthy solution? Do electronic cigarettes help solve the problem of addiction or make smoking appear more attractive?
- Facial Homeopathy | What Does Your Face Say About Yo...
Grant Bentley is a homeopath that focuses on the face for diagnosis and expression. He reads the face and gets an understanding of the individual. Our inside is expressed on the outside. Grant Bentley uses...
- HOMEOPATHY | Free Mottos Slogans Tell How Homeopathi...
Homeopathy is the wave of the future for medical care. This list of slogans and mottos tell the story.
- Homeopathy: Effects of Radiation Overdose By CT Scan
Dr Gupta on CNN announces concern about CT SCAN overuse causes cancer. CT Scan are used to scan every organ of the body because they are painless, but each time you are exposed to radiation. About 440 times as...
- Homeopathy: Oral Mouth Cancer Homeopathic Remedies
What motivates you to change? The smiley face or the graphic images? It's late at night and I stumbled along badcompany99's hub on Mouth Cancer Symptoms. It hit a nerve, I don't know why since I don't smoke...
If you've found this article helpful remember to:
- Rate it up ↑↑
- Share it with your networks
- Leave a comment or question
If You Enjoy Hubpages You may want to Join Now.
Disclaimer: This Information is for Educational Purposed Only
- The information on this blogsite is posted for educational purposes only, and not intended to constitute medical or legal advice. As with any important medical or legal matter, you are advised to consult an experienced health care provider and/or knowledgeable attorney concerning your specific health & vaccine exemption or waiver concerns.
- No attorney-client relationship or doctor-patient relationship is intended, implied or created by the posting or viewing of information on this site; nor is a doctor-patient or an attorney-client relationship created by the submission or exchange of questions or information via email or otherwise with Debby Bruck
- Readers are responsible for their use of information provided on this blog or linked to from this site. Debby Bruck assumes no liability for the same.
- Debby Bruck has made reasonable efforts to ensure the accuracy of information on this blog site, but absolute accuracy is not guaranteed.
- Always check with your health care provider