Some Hidden Miracles of Sea Salt.
Sea Salt and Table Salt
Sea salt is a broad term that generally refers to unrefined salt obtained directly from a sea or a living ocean. Sea salt is harvested through channeling ocean water into large clay trays which is then allowed for the sun and wind to evaporate it naturally. Sea salt is said to be healthier because the manufacturers typically do not refine it as much as other kinds of salt in the market, it contain 98.0 % NaCl (sodium-chloride) and traces of other minerals, including magnesium, potassium, iron, manganese, calcium, zinc and iodine.
Ordinary table salt which is the most widespread kind of salt found in the average kitchen has been stripped of its minerals and is 99.9% NaCl (sodium-chloride) .Sodium chloride is vital for optimum health but without the other valuable minerals and trace elements, it cannot be assimilated by the body, making it a poison to the system. The ordinary table salts also contain additives such as aluminum silicate to keep it powdery and porous. Aluminum is a very toxic element in our nervous system and is said to be one of the primary causes of Alzheimer’s disease (A progressive and fatal brain disease which destroys brain cells, causing problems with memory, thinking and behavior).sea salt has a bright, pure and clean flavor and is considered to be as important as fresh pepper when it comes to preparing fine food because its mineral content gives it a different taste from table salt. The most common sources for sea salt in the world include the Mediterranean Sea, the Atlantic Ocean and the North Sea.
Healing Power of Sea Salt.
Lack of salt can cripple ones health. People have been taught since childhood that salt causes lots of health problems. There are also lots of books on salt-free cooking nowadays. It is important to note that the sea salt has great healing power.
- Sea salt helps to regulate the water content of the body preventing us from becoming dehydrated.
- Salt is a strong anti stress constituent for the body.
- Salt is essential for the kidneys to clear excess acidity and to pass the acidity into the urine. Without sufficient salt, the body will become very acidic leading to complications like bone loss and joint pain .This is because when the body is highly acidic, it will do whatever it takes to return itself to a healthier pH balance. It then tends to steal the calcium, potassium, sodium, and magnesium it needs from the bones in order to buffer the tissue acids and they are systematically eaten away leading to bone loss and joint pains.
- Salt is vital in the prevention of excess saliva production to the point that it flows out of the mouth during sleep. Excess saliva, is an indication of salt shortage in one’s body. When the body is lacking in salt, which means it’s also short of water, the salivary glands sense the salt shortage and are obliged to produce more saliva to lubricate the act of chewing and swallowing and also to supply the stomach with water that is needed for breaking down foods.
- Osteoporosis (A disease in which bones become fragile and more likely to break) is partly as a result of salt and water shortage in the body. Studies have also shown that women are four times more likely than men to develop the disease especially after menopause.
- A salt-free diet leads to loss of libido and sexual ability (impotence and frigidity).
- Salt is necessary for the prevention of varicose and spider veins on the legs and thighs.
- Salt helps the liver and kidneys and adrenal glands to function efficiently.
- Studies have shown that, lack of bladder control in those who suffer from involuntary leakage of urine could be a consequence of low salt intake.
- Studies have also shown that Salt is helpful in the regulation of blood pressures in combination with water.This is contrary to the belief that it causes high blood pressure. Instead, a low salt diet with high water intake will actually cause blood pressure to rise in some people. This is because if we drink water and do not take salt, the water will not stay in the blood vessels. One or two glasses of water and a little salt on the tongue will rapidly and efficiently stabilize irregular heartbeats and in the long run, will reduce blood pressure.
- Salt is very important for regulating sleep. It is a natural hypnotic. If you drink a full glass of water then put a few grains of sea salt on your tongue and let it stay there, you will fall into a natural, deep sleep. Don’t use salts on your tongue without drinking water for repeated use of salt alone might cause nosebleeds.
- Salt is a natural antihistamine that can be used to relieve asthma by putting it on the tongue after drinking a glass or two of water.Too many bananas and too much orange juice or any sport drink which contain too much potassium might precipitate an asthma attack,especially if too much of it is being consumed before exercising.To prevent such attacks,some salt intake before exercise will increase the lungs capacity for air exchange.
- Salt is vital for extracting excess acidity from inside the cells, particularly the brain cells. If you don’t want Alzheimer’s disease (A progressive and fatal brain disease which destroys brain cells, causing problems with memory, thinking and behavior) don’t go salt free.
- Salt is vital in the treatment of emotional and affective disorders. To avoid suffering from depression, make sure you take some salt.
- Salt is a vitally needed component in the treatment of diabetes .It helps to balance the sugar levels in the blood thus decreasing the need for insulin to regulate blood sugar levels. Water and salt help to reduce the level of secondary harm associated with diabetes.
- Salt on the tongue will stop continual dry coughs.
- Salt helps to flush mucus and sinus congestion.
- Salt is vital for the prevention of muscle cramps
Medical evidence have shown that natural sea salt is a healthy replacement for ordinary table salt and a salt –free diet will not help us live longer.It is important to note that there are a large variety of sea salt, some are a bit grey or pink. Sea salt is much more expensive compared to other salts like the ordinary table salt but your body will thank you for it.