- Personal Health Information & Self-Help
Homecare Attendant Tips
DIY Easy Senior Home Health Care
Easy DIY Projects to Save You Money
My friend had terminal cancer and this was the inspiration for this hub to help others. Here are some more cancer related tips to help you and your loved one.
Senior Home Health Care Tools
Tools for Home Health Care
- The first thing you should purchase is a thermometer for taking temperature. If your loved gets a temperature that means some kind of infection is going on.
Thermometer goes in the mouth under the tongue with the mouth closed. If your loved one does not co-operate you can use the armpit or rectum as a last resort.
98.6 is the normal
101 plus is a warning temperature to call 911. The thermometer featured here at the bottom of this picture lights a different color for different temperatures with red as a temperature of 101. Take your loved ones temperature every day. These can be purchased at the dollar store.
- Second is a Oxywatch in the picture. This device measures how much oxygen your loved one is getting. If it goes below 90 that is another warning sign to call a doctor or home nurse for advice on what to do. Sometimes it is as easy has getting your loved one to take deep breaths to get their oxygen up past 90.
This little machine also recodes heart beat. Heart beat is very important to monitor. If your loved ones heart beat is usually 60 and spiked to 130 then something is wrong.
In a healthy person 80-120 is the norm but that is not always the case with someone laying down most of the time. The oxywatch costs about 40 $ but it will keep your worries to the minimum by using it a couple times a day. This machine is well worth the money.
- The third one is a blood pressure machine. We have all used these I am sure.
High blood pressure is 130/90 and low blood pressure is 80/50. If you have a low blood pressure call your home nurse and they could tell you to put salt in a glass of Gatorade and get your loved one to drink it to bring their blood pressure up. This was the advice I got from my home nurse but call for your own advice every case is different.
The best thing to do is keep a log sheet of what is going on with all these readings. Also record bowel movements and what kind of drugs your loved ones are taking. You should also monitor their weight, and have their age, and height on the log sheet. Keeping this log sheet updated, one page for each month, for when your loved does have to go in an ambulance, the paramedics will thank you, for all these records in one place, instead of wasting valuable time finding it all.
Making a Healthy Home Care Bed
Healthy Home Care Bed
- First of all get a plastic zippered mattress cover to cover your loved ones bed mattress. This cover protects the mattress but also can be wiped clean with Lysol wipes to disinfect it or washed on low heat in the washing machine to keep germs away.
- Second I used bed mats on top of the bottom sheet to keep moisture away from your loved one in case the adult protection (diaper) leeks. If your loved one is having a bad day and won't roll back and forth on the bed for the diaper changes; you can pull the mattress cover up between their legs to absorb the body wastes. This only works if your loved one stays on their back but is a solution until they are well enough for the changes again. This is also a solution for your back pain, bending over your loved one, fighting to remove a diaper on a weak person. A good solution for nighttime changes.
- The ones I found to work the best are a new product called Good Nites, bed mats for children bed wetters. They work great because they have a square of tape on each corner, to attach them to the bed, to keep them in place, instead of balling up in the night and not doing their job. The only downfall about them, is your loved one can get their hair or pajamas caught on the sticky tape and then they get trapped, until they call you and yes this did happen to us.
More Home Health Care Tips
Great Easy Home Health Care Tips
Buy lots of rubber gloves. Some people are allergic to latex so buy non-latex gloves that are powder free. Wear your rubber gloves, each time you change your loved one because you never know what viruses they may be acquiring or what viruses you could be giving them from even coming home from a shopping trip.
Who ever invented adult wipes are a God send. They are great for all kinds of messes and easier on the tender skin that paper towels. Most adult wipes do have aloe or other skin healing additives in them.
Use Hydrophor ointment. Put this on their butt at every change as it helps to keep moister from laying directly on their skin and prevents chaffing, and break down of the skin causing bed sores.
Adult diapers are very important to know what kind to use. The panty pull up you see here holds a lot more wetness away from the skin and holds a lot more wetness in the diaper so the bed stays drier. The blue adult diaper is easier to change at night with the side tabs. It does leek and sometimes the tabs get ripped off or attach themselves to your loved ones skin and will hurt when you rip the tabs off.
Bed Sore Medicine
In the event of a breakdown of the skin, don't panic. You need to keep bed sores clean with alcohol wipes and then simply put a patch over it to keep it from direct contact with the diaper.
The two I used were Lidoderm and Duoderm. Do not peel off the back of these patches and stick the whole patch on their sore. It will just peel off in no time and be something to hinder their bed sore more. You can cut these patches into quarters and use them this way but make sure patch is big enough to cover bed sore.
The one I prefer is duoderm that I got from the Home nurse. I cut into quarters and had a much better time of keeping it stuck where I put it and it can be left on for two days. This healed the sore much faster than the other patch.
TIP: Do not be afraid to tell your home nurse your problems and ask them to get products to help .
Elderly Home Health Care Products
Home Health Care Products
- Barrier wipes are the best to use at diaper changes to prevent bed sores and skin breakdown.
- I can't say enough about alcohol wipes. You can use these to clean bed sores, wipe off your tools, clean your own hands and anything else that needs to be rid of germs. A must have tool for home health care.
- Now that you have every thing clean, not having a bowel movement can become a painful experience for your loves one. I gave my loved two Senokot-S, one in the morning and one at night to prevent constipation in a gentle, natural way. If this doesn't work in 3 days give 2ML of Milk of Magnesium twice a day and I am sure this will fix their problem.
- You can purchase Senokot-s at any drug store . It is around $22 dollars but is worth the price.
- TIP: Most of the products here you will receive when your loved one is in hospital. You are allowed to take everything home from the room when you leave so take it all. You paid for it and having a sick loved one adds up. Other products I mentioned here come from your local drugstore or you can get your home health care nurse to get them for you. I hope these home health care tips helped you to be a more confident health care giver. Thank you for reading. If you have some health care tips, feel free to add them in the comments.
Will this Home care Information help you?
If you are a home caregiver, did this information help you?
Adult CPR for Your Health
DIY Upgrade For Your Bathroom For Fifty Dollars
- DIY Home Bathroom Decorating Less Than Fifty Dollars
Do you live in an apartment where you are not allowed to paint the walls. This DIY bathroom makeover is done without painting. You can remove it all when you move, to decorate your next home.
Save On Heating Costs This Winter
- DIY Ways to Save Money In Your Home Your Home Heater Review
I will be reviewing the Garrison oil filled Heater, White Westinghouse Fan Heater, and Vermillion Electric Fireplace She uses all these heaters to heat her rooms and save money in her home.
Saving Money On Your heath Tips
- Save Money in Your Home Improve Your Health Do It Yo...
Do it yourself projects ,in your home, saves you money and stamps your personality into your finished masterpieces. These projects are affordable, easy and the end results will amaze your friends.