There are moments, and days, in people's lives when they think that things couldn’t possibly get any worse. Whether it feels like a broken heart that will never mend, or anger so strong that you just want to scream (or worse)…these awful times pass. Granted, for many people in this world, life will always be difficult, if not unbearable, but for the majority of us, the bad times will always be replaced with moments of wonder and awe!
Each scenario that I’m about to describe is a moment in my life when the only things I could feel were pure joy, happiness, and so much love that my heart felt like it could explode.
- I’m lying in a hospital bed. I’ve just spent the last eight hours enduring massive contractions. Two nurses are tending to me, taking my vitals, and bringing me some desperately needed food…still, the only thing on my mind is “Where is the baby? I want to hold my baby!” Finally, a nurse walks in pushing a clear bassinet. She hands me a carefully wrapped bundle, and the next thing I know I’m staring down at the most beautiful thing I have ever seen…a newborn baby! A perfect little human being that is, and always will be, a part of me…LOVE!
- I’m sitting in the bleachers, between my sister and my mother, on a hot Saturday afternoon. I spent the entire, anxiety filled, morning asking myself “Do I look alright?” “Is everyone going to show up on time?” “Did we order enough food for this afternoon?” Suddenly, just as I look up on the stage, I hear the principal announce my child’s name into the microphone, as he hands over the well-deserved high school diploma…PRIDE!
- I spent the entire day in the hot sun, mingling with a yard full of relatives. We were having our Irish family reunion. My sisters and I were on duty most of the day, helping mom serve food and drinks. As it got darker outside the crowd began to shrink. There were only a few of us left when my uncle pulled out his guitar. Mom is sitting on the floor, leaning against the couch, singing along to “American Pie” by Don McLean. I quickly change into some sweats and curl up beside her as she wraps her arms around me…COMFORT!
- It’s their first time at a carnival…my granddaughters are in their glory. They’re jumping from ride to ride, screaming with joy. They’ve been running around for two hours and the three year old is rapidly running out of steam. She finally gives in and holds her arms up to me to be picked up. As she watches her sister spinning around on the purple helicopter, she puts her thumb in her mouth and snuggles into my shoulder…TENDERNESS!
- We’re sitting in the second row, center stage. I have my two sisters beside me, and my niece jumping from lap to lap, as we eagerly await “Sugarland!” Suddenly, the lights dim, the music begins to momentarily drown out the crowd, and out comes “Jennifer Nettles!” Tears are rolling down my face as my sisters and I sing along with the entire arena…HAPPINESS!
- My boyfriend is standing at our front door urging me to join him outside. As I step out the door, my entire body tingles at the sight of the beautiful summer sky, filled with more stars than I’ve ever seen. We cuddle on the picnic bench and stare, in amazement, at the night sky. Slowly, out of the western sky, a bright light begins to pass. We quietly hold each other as we watch the “Space Station” pass over us and disappear into the southern sky…AWE!
- It’s Sunday afternoon. We’ve been unpacking all weekend long, working methodically in an attempt to get our beautiful new house in order. I’m thinking to myself “My life couldn’t get any better than this, I couldn’t ask for anything more!” Quietly, he sneaks up behind me and turns me around by my shoulders. He looks me in the eyes (with a very serious face) and asks “Can you keep a secret?” I look up at him, puzzled, and say “Yes.” Then he says “Why don’t we get married?” I burst into tears as I try to muddle the word “YES!”…BLISS!
I spent so many years playing the victim (in my head) that I couldn’t see all of the good surrounding me. Too many times I was so overwhelmed with grief that the only feeling I recognized was that of impending doom. Well that is NOT what life is about. Life does hand out its share of challenges and serious down times. However, today I choose to go forward with a much more positive outlook…it seems to work in my favor.
If I could I have one wish, it would be that everyone could feel the contentment, peacefulness, and serenity that has found its way into my life. Today, I love my life!!