- Quality of Life & Wellness
Share Your Wisdom and Make a Difference
The roll of a mentor
For those of us that are trying to reach out and mentor children , teens or a specific population is a big responsibility.
When you take on the role of mentor and leader, the first thing that comes to mind is; How can I contribute to the betterment of this individual’s life? What are the tools I can use to lead him/her to take charge of their well being?
It doesn't matter which approach you follow, secular or religious, the goal is to provide support and advice.To inspire others, is important to establish the premise that every person is unique and special.
Be approachable, and use your own experiences as a tool for mentoring. Know your own values and respect theirs. Everyone is different, that is why we are so unique.
Here are some tips that have helped me as a facilitator with teens and domestic violence victims.
These are pointers to encourage them to believe in their own ability to achieve. Let him/ her know:
- Be proud of who you are- Your culture, your roots and identity are the essence of who you are, unique and beautiful.
- Life is hard, but nothing that is easy will bring you fulfillment and a sense of accomplishment.
- Discover your talents and use them- This is what makes you stand out and shine.
- Always ask for help when you need it- This is sign of courage not weakness.
- Get involved in your own personal development- Mold yourself like a masterpiece, we all are a work in process. Take responsibility of doing what’s right for you.
- Define your goals, and make a commitment with yourself to attain them.
- Accept that we are not always in control of what happens to us, but we can choose the way we react to what happens to us. Attitude is everything.
- Learn to really love yourself and others. Love is like a seed that needs to be nourished, so you might reap miracles.
- Be aware of parasites- I use this term for anything that will distract you from achieving your full potential. This might include drugs, gambling, alcohol, gangs and not getting an education.
- Learn to laugh and be positive- After every storm, the sun will always rise up. Humor is key to have a positive outlook on life. It works for me!
On a final note...
It’s not necessary to sugar coat life’s troubles to inspire someone to be more than what they see in the mirror. Just be honest and receptive, Listen.
Remember that pain and obstacles are just a stepping stone to discover the true potential in every person. Keep the good fight, never give up. Stand up every time that you fall, hold your head up high and you will be surprised how far you will go.
© 2012 Anan Celeste