Should You Drink Water From a Copper Jug?
Convenient and affordable plastics have impregnated every sector of our lives and we are almost always using plastic in some form. We do not even realize how much plastics have become a part of our food handling and storage. Before plastics, people used to cook and store food and water in metal containers, which enriched food and water with healthy minerals.
Traditionally Indians (Asian) used to store water in copper vessels. Copper is considered an essential mineral for our body. Ayurvedic medicine recommends storing water overnight in a copper jug and drinking it in the morning for good health. Pre-modern water supplies were transported through copper pipes and taps and its anti-microbial properties were observed.
Health Benefits of Copper
- The human body can not synthesize copper. So in order to carry out normal metabolic functions, continuous copper intake is essential.
- An average intake of 1.2 milligrams of copper per day (trace amounts) is recommended for adults. Excessive intake can also be harmful, leading to high blood pressure or psychiatric disorders.
- Copper is primary element in the production of melanin (pigmentation of eyes, hair, and skin) in our bodies.
- Copper is also an antioxidant and anti-carcinogenic that prevents cell damage and slows aging.
- Copper also helps in healing wounds and relieving pains.
- Copper helps in formation of new cells, iron absorption, and synthesizing phospholipids that are essential for myelin (nerve coating) formation.
- Copper is widely known as brain stimulant.
- Copper has anti-microbial properties.
- Copper has anti-inflammatory properties and helps in arthritis and other inflammatory pains.
- It regulates thyroid glands.
- Copper also helps in iron and sugar absorption.
- It is essential for hemoglobin synthesis, bone strength, and immunity-building.
- Honey, beans, whole wheat grains, and green leafy vegetables all contain copper.
- Copper helps to maintain digestive health.
- Ayurveda recommends water from a copper jug to balance all the three doshas.
- Wish to lose weight? Drink tamra jal (water stored in copper jug), which will regulate your fat.