10 Signs Of Adrenal Fatigue
The Adrenal glands are found above the kidney's. Each gland has an outer layer that produces steroid hormones. They help with the proper function of: your metabolism,blood pressure regulation and proper electrolyte balance.
The glands produce hormones that have a very important role when your body is involved in stressful situations. These hormones are: adrenaline and norepinephrine.
This article will describe:
What Adrenal Fatigue Is
Causes/Triggers Of Adrenal Fatigue
Signs Of Adrenal Fatigue
The Signs Of Advanced Adrenal Fatigue
Phases Of Adrenal Fatigue
Related Conditions That You May Be Misdiagnosed With Before The Final Adrenal Fatigue Diagnosis
Adrenal Fatigue Diet
At Home Treatments/Homeopathic Treatments
What Is Adrenal Fatigue?
Adrenal fatigue is an syndrome, or collection or symptoms which result from the adrenal gland function is below a healthy level. It is caused from prolonged or intense stress. The chronic stress causes the adrenal glands to produce the hormone cortisol and at a super fast rate. This causes the adrenal glands to become overworked and tired. This leads to reduced cortisol levels and turn creates symptoms such as fatigue.
This does not just include emotional stress, it can also occur when the body itself is under intense stress. This happens during illnesses such as: infections, pneumonia, influenza and/or bronchitis.
When it comes to Adrenal Fatigue, it can be so severe that a full nights sleep will not help relieve the fatigue. This leaves the person feeling tired all day. But not just tired, stressed and tired. It often feels like there is no way to escape the feeling because the anxiety that comes along with it can become so intense.
Adrenal Fatigue is classified as an invisible illness, which means there are no signs that something is wrong expect the obvious tired and stressed look on the persons face.
You may see them trying to drink coffee, soda, energy drinks or even try supplements to increase their energy. In the end not much helps put a dent in the overwhelming fatigue that is brought on by Adrenal Fatigue.
Over the years there has been many advances in the medical field. Year's before, physicians would shrug it off and diagnose patients with random conditions. Often with Chronic Fatigue. Although, chronic fatigue is part of it. Adrenal fatigue is actually more complex and needs to be treated with more care.
Possible Causes/Triggers Of Adrenal Fatigue
- Physical- Bad gut health can be a cause of Adrenal Fatigue. A large part of your immune system is involved with your gut health. This includes: Constipation,Irritable Bowel Syndrome,Diarrhea and Food Sensitivities.
- Dietary- When a person eats/drinks products that are high in sugar or carbohydrates and caffiene, they are also more likely to be a victim of Adrenal Fatigue
- Chemical- An overloaded Liver. Your liver is only able to handle so much, and yes it tries. But your liver has a hard time trying to filter our all the prescription drugs, antibiotics, hormones, pollution in the air etc. When it comes to the chemical aspect, it would be good to do a liver detox to help your body out.
- Emotional- If a person lives with chronic stress in their life they are more likely to deal with Adrenal fatigue. If you are dealing with certain stressors constantly your adrenal glands are only able to handle so much before they begin to tire out. Emotional can also mean dealing with old issues coming back up.
- Spiritual- If you feel like you may be unbalanced or "off" spiritually, this may put a damper on your glands.
Signs Of Adrenal Fatigue
Persistent Fatigue- It does not go away even after getting a "full" night of sleep.
Mood Swings- It may be caused from the shifting of hormones or the fatigue, either way, they are there.
Weight Gain- You will notice you are retaining more water. And yes water weight makes your scale move.
Difficulty Falling Asleep/Insomnia
Low Sex Drive
Frequent Illnesses such as colds or flu
Cravings for carbohydrates
A Step Further- Advanced Adrenal Fatigue
When you have let your Adrenal Fatigue go on for far too long, you will have even more symptoms. There is no way of telling how much longer you would have to go on after initial Adrenal Fatigue before you could consider it advanced.
Advanced symptoms should be read as a whole, if you have Advanced Adrenal Fatigue you will have signs from both lists.
Sugar,Salt and Carbohydrate Cravings
Thin and brittle nails
Low blood sugar levels
Mild to Moderate Depression
The Phases Of Adrenal Fatigue
Adrenal Fatigue is not something that just appears out of nowhere, its something that builds up over time. It happens in phases, and with each phase there are certain things that happen.
ADRENAL SURGE- During the first phase, a "stimulus" causes the hormones: cortisol, epinephrine, aldosterone and norepinephrine secretion to increase. Most commonly stress,chronic inflammation and illness can be the stimulus.
- SUSTAINED ADRENAL SECRETION- If not dealt with,the stimulus becomes constant/chronic.This causes a continuous uninterrupted cortisol secretion over time.
- TURNING POINT STAGE- During this phase the adrenal glands work overtime as a response to maintain the bodies required level of cortisol and other adrenal gland hormones. At this phase, the glands are being so overworked and extremely fatigued.
- DECLINE OF ADRENAL GLAND HORMONES- At this phase, the adrenal glands are no longer able to maintain the proper levels of hormones that they produce. They are tiring out and the cortisol levels are beginning to decline fast.
- ADRENAL EXHAUSTION- Reaching the last phase, the adrenal glands have reach complete exhaustion. There is no way for the glands to keep up producing the proper amount of hormones. At this point there is no way of hiding that there is something seriously wrong with you.
Related Conditions That You May Be Misdiagnosed With
Adrenal fatigue is considered and invisible illness and there is yet to be any real way of testing for it. The only way so far that they have been able to come to the conclusion of the diagnosis of Adrenal Fatigue is for them to make sure it's not some other condition.
There are some conditions and diseases that may or may not be the real cause of why you feel the way you do. So before jumping to "the adrenal fatigue train", lets talk about the other conditions it may be.
Adrenal Fatigue Diet
One of the causes of Adrenal Fatigue has to do with what you eat and drink. There are many thing's that will make your body and easier target for your glands tiring out easier. Just like with everything else in the body, you glands have certain nutritional needs to stay strong and healthy.
When You Should Eat:
One mistake people make is they skip breakfast because they are running late or just dont feel like eating. Try to stop this habit. People with poor adrenal function also have issue with blood sugar regulation. This mean's it is best to eat in the morning. So make sure to eat before 10am.
You should eat lunch earlier than the normal noon. Try shooting for around 11am to 11:30am. This is because your body when you have issues with adrenal function, the stored energy that is released from breakfast will be ready to fill by 11am.
Stop for a nutrient packed snack around 2pm-3pm. And eat your dinner around 5pm-6pm.
By sticking to these times, your energy supply will be more consistent throughout the day.
Adrenal Healing Foods
- Vegetables- The brighter the better. Go for Bright red,orange,yellow,purple and green.
- Proteins- Go for meats,eggs,peanut butter,fowl,seeds,nuts,soy and legumes.
- Fruits- Try mangos,kiwi,apples,papaya,plums,pears,grapes and cherries.
- Salt- Just add some to your meals. Try adding sea salt or celtic salt.
What Not To Eat/Drink
- Processed foods especially meat and cheeses.
- Certain fruits: Dates,figs,bananas,raisins,oranges and grapefruit.
- Energy Drinks