Simple Steps To Improve Health
A new year is upon us and already we are already creating lists of resolutions or goals that we would like to achieve. One staple always on that list is to have good health. We hear many people wishing one another to have great health for the year. However, is good health just a matter of luck or can we take control of it? Many people choose to have a fatalistic view of their health. Nonetheless, not counting genetics, enjoying and maintaining good health is in within our reach.
In order to live a longer and more productive life, a few simple steps can help. The following are a few ideas:
Diet! Diet! Diet!
- As the saying goes, you are what you eat. It is paramount that you eat a well-balanced diet. So far the best and proven diet seems to be the Mediterranean. According to the Mayo Clinic “the Mediterranean diet is a heart-healthy eating plan combining elements of Mediterranean-style cooking. If you're looking for a heart-healthy eating plan, the Mediterranean diet might be right for you. The Mediterranean diet incorporates the basics of healthy eating — plus a splash of flavorful olive oil and perhaps a glass of red wine — among other components characterizing the traditional cooking style of countries bordering the Mediterranean Sea.” Next month we will feature an article about this diet.
How Many Hours Of Sleep Do You Get At Night?
Get enough rest
- Sleep is one of basic human needs. However, studies after studies have shown that most of us are not sleeping enough. Getting enough sleep reinforces the immune system and reduces our risk of infection, diabetes, stroke, heart disease, cancer, obesity, depression and even Alzheimer’s.
- Yes, you have heard it myriads of times. Here it is again: you need to exercise. It is beneficial to all us regardless of age. Look at your body and you will realize that it is designed to move and not to stay still for long periods of time. Consequently, examine your lifestyle and see how you can incorporate exercise in your daily activities.
How To Quit Smoking (Health Guru)
Kick the habit
- If it does not help you to live longer and healthier, get rid of it! Focus on all the benefits you will enjoy by ridding your life of harmful and life-shortening habits. Replace the old behavior with others that equally or more enjoyably improve your overall health.
Keep your home clean
- A clean house will help keep the doctor away. Do your best to keep your kitchen and your bathroom clean which can be breeding grounds for bacteria. As the saying goes an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
- Schedule regular doctor visits. Some people are more in tune with their cars than they are with their bodies. Regular doctor visits can prevent many serious problems from developing and continuing without notice.
- Your health is your most prized possession. Cherish and protect it. Though you cannot entirely control it, you nevertheless can take control of it.