- Personal Health Information & Self-Help
Simple but Effective Treatment of Varicose Veins
Understanding Varicose Veins
Varicose Veins are protruding, web-like structures appearing on the legs, particularly at the back and ankles of a person. They appear harmless, yet are signs which show that something is wrong with the circulation of the blood that leads to the heart. They are actually weakened valves that don’t behave normally as they do. Hence, building up pressure as blood is collected and hindered to flow freely.
Healthy Legs Have No Varicose Veins
Causes and Symptoms
Although varicose veins are caused by genetic factors, they are prevalent in people with obesity problems. Elder people, pregnant women and those who spent most of their time standing during their working hours are also susceptible to have varicose veins.
Tight-fitted jeans and shoes may also add to inflammation of veins leading to varicose veins.Varicose veins are easily spotted on the surface of the skin as they may appear reddish, greenish or bluish in color. This is significant of its inflamed condition and though not so alarming like other inflammatory sickness, continuous failure to provide treatment may lead to other problems as well.
People suffering from varicose veins may find it hard to walk properly as burning sensations, tiredness and heaviness are felt on the affected legs. A more serious condition is evident by having swollen legs and ankles.
Symptoms are often intensified after a long walk or prolonged standing while working and may even cause intense pain due to swelling and muscle pain in the calves. Discoloring in the skin can also be observed. There are also some cases of bleeding due to minor injury.
If you are a Varicose Veins Sufferer
What Treatment had you tried?
Treat Your Varicose Veins
Since varicose veins are superficial in character, they can easily be prevented and treated. There are some medical treatments provided by medical doctors but a home treatment is the best remedy for them. By applying the following Home Treatment Procedures, you can ease the burning pain and lessen the swelling in your legs and ankle:
- Consider your wardrobe. See to it that your pants and shoes are not too tight to wear. High- heeled and tight-fitted shoes hinder your blood vessels to function properly.
- Wear compression stockings. This is usually advised by doctors.
- When you take your rest after long hours of standing and walking, Place your legs on an elevated position so the blood can circulate freely back to your heart.
- Do your daily, regular exercise and eat a well-balanced meal.
- Avoid standing and walking too long. This will give too much pressure on your feet and provide discomfort to your legs and ankles.
- Maintain your regular weight. A heavy body will only increase your chances of suffering from varicose veins.
In case you accidentally cut or scratch those protruding varicose veins, just put your legs in a much higher position than your body and apply pressure on it using a clean, hot towel, just enough not to burn your legs or bondage for about 15 minutes to stop the bleeding. You may repeat this process three times to make a full 45 minutes or until the bleeding stopped.
Don't Ignore Your Varicose Veins!
People Who are Likely to Have Varicose Veins
Although congenital in nature, the following are those who are most likely susceptible to have this ailment:
- Pregnant Women during pregnancy stage,
- Elderly people especially those previously engaged in hard labor,
- Those who works standing for a long period.
- Those who use tight-fitting elastic jeans.
- Those who constantly wear high heels and tight shoes that cramped your feet.
- Those with weight problems.
Remember that if you are one of the above, be considerate with your legs and feet. Prevent hurting them, so they won't hurt you in the end!
Preggys are More Susceptible to Varicose Veins
Pregnant women get high probability rate to have varicose veins especially when they had it on their lineage. As I had said before, varicose veins are generally, congenital. So, when you have someone in the family with varicose veins, be aware that you can acquire them especially during pregnancies. The amount of your blood increases during this stage and added burden to your blood vessels. Hence, there appear tiny spider veins under your skin and they seems like ready to burst any time. Another reason for the appearance of these spider-like things in your pregnancy stage is your increase in weight. So when you think, you are getting heavier, which is likely to occur, although you are always given advise and instruction by your doctor, have a regular diet.
Varicose veins are also even more prevalent in pregnant women carrying twins or Multiple births. Take note that varicose veins due to pregnancy don’t cause any discomfort and just disappear after giving birth to your babies. They also improve after each delivery especially when you don’t have them before pregnancy.
Exercises for a Varicose Veins Sufferer
Be Aware of the Difference
Prevention Is Always Better
Minor as they seem, still varicose veins bring pain to a sufferer. As older men used to say, "Prevention is always better than cure!", we ought to minimize its effects if we just can't avoid iit
Any hereditary ailment we got from our parents, we just can't blame them. Yet. somehow we need to find ways to provide ourselves with the most possible solution to bring comfort and convenience to our lives. With our little discussion on how to treat varicose veins at home, we are not only giving ourselves a little relation on its effects but we are also treating it with confidence.
Through this topic, I am hoping that this study did not only simplify our understanding on the ailment but being given its preview and overview, we can focus our thinking on its prevention rather than on its treatment.
Additional Thoughts on Varicose Veins
People with lesser movements are prone to blood clots or what doctors called as deep vein thrombosis. Blood clots are dangerous since those that form in your arms, legs and groin can break loose anytime and go to other parts of your body especially the lungs and if this happens it will form a kind of pulmonary ailment that will endanger your life.
People who are most likely to suffer are:
- Those who are 65 years of age and above.
- Those who are bed ridden due to sickness.
- Those who had recent surgery.
- Those who take hormones (especially for birth control).
- Those undergoing treatment like cancer and other malignant diseases.
- Those with broken bones on hip, pelvis or legs.
- Those who are paralyzed.
Causes of Blood Clots
Blood are serious so they must get treated right away. It is vital that if you are one or living with one of the above mentioned, you had to identify the signs and seek for immediate treatment before could be too late.
How to Prevent Blood Clots
- You are likely to prevent a blood clot by doing the following:
- Wear comfortable clothes, socks or stockings.
- Raise your legs up higher than your heart level from time to time.
- Wear compression stockings and do some exercises.
- Move often to change your position. This will help in the blood circulation activity of your body.
- Do not stand or sit for long hours and try not to bump your legs on anything, Also avoid crossing your legs.
- Eat less salt
- Never put pillows under your knees
While in bed, elevate the lower portion of your body by putting anything under your bed such as books, towels or anything you may think of. In case of emergency, see your doctor.