Sleep Apnea: Signs and Symptoms
Sleep Apnea is No JOKE
Having sleep apnea myself, I can tell you, it's miserable. On average, I stop breathing thirty times an hour or more. My c-pap machine only seems to make it worse so my only other alternative is to have surgery done. I have compiled a list of signs and symptoms of sleep apnea. If you have any of these symptoms please see your doctor as sleep apnea can even cause death.
- Excessive Day Time Sleepiness- There were and still are days I almost fall asleep driving and at work. I am tired all the time no matter what I do or how many hours I sleep.
- Problems with Memory and Attentiveness- I have troubles remembering simple things like doctor appointments, where I put my car keys etc. I also find myself drifting off in day dreams that are more like being half asleep.
- Sweating and chest pain while asleep- I sweat terribly at night. I have never had chest pain but it is a symptom.
- Headaches when you wake up that go away as the day goes on- I frequently wake up with a headache due to lack of oxygen during the night.
- Loud snoring- Not all snoring is caused by sleep apnea but it is a symptom.
- Night time gasping or choking- this is usually caused by your body's reaction to you not breathing. I do this ALOT!
- Personality Changes- On days I haven't had enough sleep it really affects how my outlook on things are and makes me irritable and quickly agitated. I tend to lose my temper easier on those days and am more likely to become sarcastic and mean.
If you do have any or all of these symptoms please see a doctor as sleep apnea can shorten your life, cause death and just all around make you miserable