- Diet & Weight Loss
Snack Ideas for a Low Carb Diet
If you’re on a low carb diet and feeling hungry in between meal times, then you might find yourself rummaging around your kitchen for a satisfying snack. To avoid the temptation of grabbing a packet of chips or crackers (both of which are very high in carbohydrates), it’s a good idea to have some extra low carb foods to hand. By stocking up your fridge and pantry with some of these low carb snack ideas, you won’t feel guilty if you get the urge for a little snack during the day.
What is a low carb snack?
A low carb snack should contain plenty of fiber, healthy fats and protein. The important thing to remember when looking for a satisfying low carb snack in between meals is to avoid anything that contains bread, pasta, rice, potatoes or other starchy components. Any low carb food can be bulked up and made more nutritious and satisfying by adding an array of colourful vegetables.
Here’s a list of snacks that you can freely indulge in and enjoy as part of a low carb diet:-
- Devilled Eggs
- Hard boiled eggs with lettuce and tomato
- Celery with peanut butter or hummus
- Cheese sticks, such as string cheese
- Cucumbers with olive-oil and rice vinegar
- Dill pickles and cheddar cheese
- Berries and cottage cheese or plain yoghurt
- Raw vegetables such as carrot or cauliflower with spinach dip or other low carb dip
- Brocolli with melted cheese
- Sunflower Seeds
- Sugar-Free chocolate Jello pudding
- Beef Jerky
- Caprese salad: tomato, mozzarella and fresh basil
- Deli Meat and cheddar cheese
- Cheese and apple slices
- Large mushrooms filled with smoked salmon and cream cheese
- Ricotta or cottage cheese with flax seeds
- Lettuce wraps: roll up tuna, egg salad or turkey with veggies in a lettuce leaf
- Lettuce wraps with chicken and tzatziki sauce
- Brocolli and melted cheese
- Nuts, such as plain almonds
- Sauteed spinach and ricotta cheese spread on cucumber slices
- Ready-bought low carb snack bars or low carb shakes
A word of warning though: if you choose to buy ready made low carb snack bars or shakes, then you should first read the nutritional information on the package to ensure sure that they provide the right nutrition for your low carb diet. Sometimes, these snack bars are high in salts and sugars which might make them less healthy than low carb foods that you could prepare yourself at home.
Food preparation at home and low carb cooking can be quite easy if you first have a good idea of which foods are actually low in carbohydrates. It’s always good to be creative, too; try putting together your own little low carb snacks based on the suggestions I have given. After all, we should endeavour to make dieting fun without depriving ourselves of delicious and satisfying food that we can all enjoy.