Are Fizzy Drinks Good or Bad for Your Body?
About Fizzy Drinks
Several years back, there were just a few fizzy drinks in the market. Today, there are a plethora of brands each having a number of varieties of these beverages. These varieties of carbonated drinks like the colas, sodas and juices made of artificial flavours and essences etc have become a fad amongst us and the youth of today.
As these beverages are chilled before consumption they no doubt give us a feeling of instant cooling but are harmful to the body in the long term. These soft drinks do not contain nutrients. Instead, they provide plain empty calories. Many types of artificial colours, essences and sugar have been added to make them attractive and palatable. These chemical additives give rise to disorders of the stomach and liver when used over a long period of time.
Read on to find why fizzy drinks are bad for you.
Why Are Fizzy Drinks Bad For You
These drinks cause a number of health problems. Some of them are given below.
- In Fizzy Drinks
Cola drinks are known to weaken bones due to leaching out of the calcium by the carbonated drinks. Apparently they seem to give relief from gas but in reality, they cause hyperacidity.
- In Juices
It is not healthy to drink a lot of these juices. They contain an excessive amount of sugar which is not only harmful to the teeth but is the cause of obesity in children and adolescents.
The high content of sugar, in reality, causes dehydration by removing water from the tissues. Thus they increase thirst instead of quenching it.
- In Energy Drinks
The craze for reaching out for energy drinks is on the rise. Even young children can be seen as getting addicted to them. The moment one feels a bit run down or tired, these drinks immediately come to mind. You can find new brands of these drinks springing up all over regularly.
Though these drinks claim to remove fatigue & tiredness and make one fit they instead cause increased excitability. In fact, no amount of chemical additives can make one fit.
Though they do make you alert, invigorated and reduce sleepiness their use has resulted in more harm than good.
Energy drinks are a mix of caffeine, the Vitamins B Complex, sugar and some herbs like guarana, ginseng etc. The main ingredient and the one that causes the boost of energy is caffeine. Though up to 200 mg of caffeine is considered safe to consume daily these drinks can contain more than this amount of caffeine in just one serving.
Not only this, some herbs like guarana and yerba mate that are included, contain caffeine themselves. As is known, excess caffeine consumption can make one jittery cause sleeplessness, palpitations, high BP, rise in heartbeat rate etc. Also, caffeine causes dehydration since it also has a diuretic action.
Though excess of B Complex intake is normally excreted as it is a water-soluble, Vitamin B3 and Vitamin B6 if consumed in excess, can cause nervous symptoms, numbness, flushing of the skin, inflammation of the liver, vision problems etc.
Guarana seed has double the amount of caffeine in a coffee bean and thus has a lot of detrimental effect due to the higher caffeine levels.
Ginseng levels are way too low to be effective. At the same time, ginseng has been reported to react detrimentally with blood-thinning drugs.
As for sugar, the maximum daily allowance of sugar, as per the American Heart Association guidelines, which are :
Maximum of 100 calories per day or 6 teaspoons or 24 grams.
Maximum of 150 calories per day or 9 teaspoons or 36 grams.
Most energy drinks contain about 13 -15 grams of sugar per 100 ml. Consumption of just 1 can of 250 ml gives you more than the daily allowance of sugar.
The excess sugar gives an instant energy boost, but it drops as suddenly as it shoots up, giving again a feeling of being low down. Also, the excess sugar comes with an unwelcome weight tag - OBESITY.
Now you know why fizzy drinks are bad for you, it is time to give some serious thought to its consumption.
Some Serious Side Effects on Health Due to Fizzy Drinks
Sodas are loaded with sugar, chemicals and have absolutely no nutrition value. As such they have serious side effects when consumed. Some of them are listed below.
- The increased sugar content can lead one to become a diabetic. Moreover, it has been found that excess sugar can also lead to high triglycerides in the blood and therefore increase the risk of heart disease. Excess sugar acts as food for tumours hence excess sugar can lead to cancer as well. Chemicals used in colouring soda can also lead to cancers of the breast, prostate and pancreas.
- Ingredients added to fizzy drinks increase their acid nature thereby corroding the teeth enamel and lead to tooth decay.
- Zero nutrition and excess empty calories in them cause weight gain and obesity which has become a big problem in countries where such drinks are consumed in large quantities.
- As calcium is leached out from bones by the phosphoric acid in these drinks such beverages cause weakening of the bones leading to increased old age bone health issues like osteoporosis and fractures.
- Consumption of fizzy drinks causes fatty liver and hence impaired liver function which causes many other health issues.
These are but a few of the many health problems caused by fizzy drinks. It is best to avoid them.
Click the link below for some absolutely startling information. I bet you will think twice before you go for these beverages again.
An interesting link on sugars in Sodas
Ginger Lime water
What Are The Options
Give preference to traditional drinks. Some options are :
- Fresh lime juice to which water is added and sweetened with honey. Add ginger, black salt, mint or roasted and powdered cumin seeds for variety in taste and health benefit too.
- Mango Panna - Video Recipe is given below.
- Buttermilk, sweet or salted lassi (made of dairy yoghurt).
- Fresh coconut water or Green mango Panna, both of which are excellent thirst-quenching rehydration drinks and also cool the body.
Some other alternative options, not really natural, are :
- Cold tea.
- Cold coffee, but in moderation, as excess caffeine will cause the side effects as already outlined.
Though all these options are good, there is nothing to beat the good old pure water.
It is thus best to give preference to pure drinking water over everything else if it is available.
The other options given here thus become secondary.
Mango Panna Recipe
Salty Lassi Recipe
Some of my other hubs on health topics
- MSG - MonoSodium Glutamate - The Common Food Additive, Its Allergy Effects And Its Long Term Adverse
MSG or mono sodium glutamate, the cause of a variety of disease conditions is added to a mind boggling number of foods. Read the far reaching health implications of this food additive that is added to enhance the perception of flavor of food..
- Why Take Vitamin D ? The 5 Amazing Health Benefits Of Vitamin D - The Sunshine Vitamin
Vitamin D has been a very underrated vitamin. Research studies now show that the health benefits of vitamin D, the sunshine vitamin, extend to many life threatening and life crippling diseases as well. To know more, read on...
- The Health Benefits Of Magnesium
Magnesium is a macro mineral that is involved in over 300 essential metabolic reactions in our body, most of us are deficient in magnesium. To know, the magnitude of importance of this mineral and how its deficiency affects our body, read on...
Were you aware that soda and other fizzy beverages do not quench thirst?
Will you give a second thought before you reach out for these beverages again?
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and does not substitute for diagnosis, prognosis, treatment, prescription, and/or dietary advice from a licensed health professional. Drugs, supplements, and natural remedies may have dangerous side effects. If pregnant or nursing, consult with a qualified provider on an individual basis. Seek immediate help if you are experiencing a medical emergency.
© 2012 Rajan Singh Jolly