- Alternative & Natural Medicine»
- Home Remedies
Some Natural Home Remedies For Cough
Home remedies for cough have been in existence for thousands of years much before modern day medicines came on the scene. Traditional healing systems like Naturopathy and Ayurveda have used ingredients, like fruits, spices, herbs etc that are commonly available in a home.
These ingredients being natural are devoid of the side effects normally associated with allopathic medicines which are severe in some cases but are almost always existent in some degree in all cases.
Some natural home remedies for cough are presented below.
Oranges are quite effective at relieving coughs and colds. However drink orange juice mixed with cold water in summer while in winter drink it mixed with hot water.
Sweet Limes (the bigger of the two) & Limes
To a cup of sweet lime juice add 1/2 cup of hot water, a little cumin seed powder and a little dry ginger powder. It relieves cough and asthma.
Take out the juice of a ripe apple. To a glass of this juice add some candy sugar. Drink in the morning daily.
If the cough is dry, eat a sweet and ripe apple everyday.
Piper longum ( Long Pepper )
SULTANAS / CURRANTS / LARGE RAISINS ( MUNAKKAS in Hindi )
These are very effective for coughs and colds. Those who suffer from repeated attacks of colds and coughs take it as detailed below.
Take 11 sultanas (dried), 11 black peppercorns and 5 deskinned almonds. (The almonds have to be soaked overnight in water and the skins removed the next morning). Grind all these together and mix in 25 gms of butter. Eat this just before going to bed.
In the morning to a glass of milk add 2 long pepper ( photo shown alongside ), 10 black peppercorns and a little dry ginger powder. Boil the milk, strain and drink.
This is a wonderful remedy.
Grapes give strength to the lungs. They relieves cold and cough and also remove the accumulated phlegm.
However do not drink water after consuming grapes.
Take 1 tsp each of amla powder and honey. To be licked once a day.
Take 8 parts of pomegranate skins (dried) and 1 part rock salt. Grind together and add just enogh water to make pea sized pills.
Suck 1 pill 3 times a day.
In Cough with expectoration, bake a guava in fire and eat.
Gargle with spinach juice for relief from cough, burning in throat and swelling in lings.
- To 60 ml mustard oil put all cloves from 1 garlic pod after deskinning them. Cook for sometime on heat. When cool, strain and fill in a bottle. Massage the chest and throat with this oil.
Also eat 2 sultana and a clove of garlic 3 times a day.
Avoid sour things.
- Add 20 drops of garlic oil to a glass of pomegranate juice and drink. This gives relief from all types of cough.
- Soak 5 almonds in water at night. Next morning remove the skins, add 1 garlic clove and some candy sugar. Grind all these together. It cures whooping cough in a few days.
- Take 10 drops of fresh garlic juice, 1 tsp honey and 2 tsp water. Mix well and take 4 times a day.
Boil a turnip in water. Strain the water, add sugar to taste and drink.
It provides relief from asthma, cough and sore throat.
Boil 4 tsp fenugreek seeds in 200 ml water till water reduces to half. Strain out the seeds and drink it hot.
This works for both dry and wet cough.
- Keep 1 black peppercorn and some candy sugar in the mouth and suck on it. This opens up the throat too.
- Grind equal quantities of black peppercorns and candy sugar. Add just enough ghee to make pills half the size of a pea. Suck one 3 -4 times a day. It relieves all types of cough.
- Grind 10 peppercorns, add 1-2 tsp honey and take it in the morning. Repeat it in the evening.
At night, add 1 or 2 black whole peppercorns to a glass of milk. Boil and cool it just enough to drink.
- To 1 tsp of hot ghee add 10 crushed black peppercorns and lick this mixture.
It relieves dry cough.
- Take 5 crushed black peppercorns and 1/4 tsp ginger powder. Add 1 tsp honey. Consume by licking twice a day.
It relieves cough with expectoration.
- Take 30 ml ginger juice. Add 30 ml honey which has been slightly warmed. Mix and drink 3 times a day for 10 days.
It benefits in asthma, sore throat and cold too.
Avoid yogurt and sour things for this duration.
- Fry few pieces of ginger in ghee and eat.
- Drink ginger tea. Add at least 10 gms of ginger while preparing this tea. Let the contents simmer for 2 minutes before taking it off the heat.
- Add jaggery to ghee. heat till they liquify and mix well. Add 2 tsp dry ginger powder. Take this every morning on empty stomach.
It removes phlegm too.
- Home Remedies For Coughs And Flu Herbals And Mustard Baths
Home remedies for flu and colds can be just as affective as over the counter medicine. Here are a few ideas to help you get rid of those horrible flu symptoms
- Home Remedies for Cough - Best Natural Cough Remedies
Find the best natural cough remedies with these home remedies for cough symptoms that really work! You probably have everything you need right in your kitchen!
Some of my other hubs on health conditions
- About Seasonal Allergies, Pollen Allergy, Hay Fever ...
Seasonal allergies are on the increase due to many factors some of which are within our control. Want to know how you can cope up with these seasonal and pollen allergy making some lifestyle changes and using some natural home remedies? Read on...
- Gouty Arthritis Or Gout - Its Symptoms, Causes And Control With Natural Home Remedies And Ayurveda
Gout is an extremely painful disorder most attacks striking, at the most inopportune time, when one is asleep. There are a number of ways that this crippling disorder can be kept at bay. To know how, read on...
- Combating Insomnia Or Sleeplessness - What Brings On...
Insomnia is one of the health conditionds that cannot be treated with sleeping pills. How wonderful it would be to know what brings on sleep. To know the factors that are the cause of insomnia and ways to treat this with some natural home remedies, r
- 8 Home Remedies For Health Conditions
Here are some very easily available, natural home remedies, to treat a wide variety of health conditions that we encounter in our daily lives. To know more about these easily available home remedies, read on...
The information provided in this hub is not a substitute for professional medical advice. Please consult your physician, or health care provider before taking any home remedies or supplements.