Some Tips on Self-care: Easy Ways to Take Care of Yourself
We go through life in a world where we are constantly rushed and where we work many hours a day, sometimes more then one job, we multi-task, we don’t eat well and we don’t sleep well. We hardly get any exercise. We are students, we are professional people, and we are parents. We are constantly on the go.
Here are some tips that you can do in a busy life to take care of yourself or make your quality of life better. If you don’t take care of yourself, you can’t take care of other people. That includes in business or even your own children.
- Hydrate! Make sure to drink enough quality water a day. The normal adult human being should drink 8, 8 ounce glasses a day.
- Get enough sunshine. Humans were not meant to live in cubicles. Try to get out and take at least a short walk every day. You get some light, you get some air from outside and you feel much better.
- During the dark times of year, take Vitamin D. This is the time of year you may be Vitamin D deficient. Try to make sure that you get enough light, even if that means that you put in a natural light lightbulb to light fixtures and lamps. Lack of light is linked to things like depression.
- Eat healthy foods. We all know what they are for the most part, but we are constantly in a hurry. The drive –thru can sometimes be convenient or easy when we are rushed or working late and have to feed the family or we are very hungry. Take the extra time to come home and make a salad or some other healthy meal. Or pick a food chain that has healthy food options if you don’t have the time.
- Make sure to get enough sleep. Natural things that can help with sleep are taking a hot bath and reading a book. Try to plan for your schedule to allow yourself enough sleep. Sleep deprived people are not always the most effective people.
- Take a good multivitamin.
- Allow for leisure time in your life that you enjoy doing. Whether this is hobbies or watching a good movie. Sometimes we just need to have some time not thinking about our daily problems.
- Try to make time for a healthy sex life.
- Try to find some kind of exercise that you enjoy even if it is a workout DVD you can do in your family room for a half hour. This doesn’t have to be high impact but for fun.
- Get out and work in your yard. Not only does this make your yard look acceptable to the neighbors, you get out and get fresh air, sunshine and your hands and feet in the dirt. This can be a fantastic feeling.
- Create a comfortable and attractive living space. If you enjoy your surroundings and they are comfortable, the quality of life can be so much better.
- Have fun with your mate. Take some times to go for a ride on a nice day, get out of town now and then, or go for a picnic or a hike. Just enjoy each other’s company.
- If you have children, make sure to get a babysitter sometimes to have quality time with your mate.
- Read a good book.
- Cook an outstanding meal.
- Have a dinner party and cook for more people then your family.
- Hang out with friends sometimes.
- Take a class in the evenings just for the joy of it at the community college or community enrichment programs at local high schools, something you enjoy doing like pottery, or photography or cake decorating or anything that interests you. One night a week won’t kill you.
- Go to open air markets.
- Do community service, it can be very fulfilling an hour or two here or there a week.
*Please consult with a physician before taking any vitamins or doing any physical activity you are not used to ensure you are healthy enough or fit enough to do any of these things.