Special K Diet - Is It For You?
Losing Weight With Special K?
If you watch TV, then you have likely heard of the Special K Diet. It is a diet that obviously revolves around Special K and their products. But would it really be right for YOU, and can you really lose weight on this diet.
PLEASE keep in mind that the video above is from the actual Special K YouTube channel, and to be honest, she didn't look big to begin with.
What The Special K Diet Consists Of
Surprise! You eat Special K products for the majority of your meals.
First, you have to replace two meals with one Special K product. You can choose from protein meal bars, protein shakes, or Special K cereal. This is fine for someone who eats a lot of cereal, but not for someone who has a problem overeating, this may cause you to become hungry after your bar, shake, or bowl of cereal. Although, there are 8 different cereals to choose from including blueberry, fruit and yogurt, low fat granola, oats and honey, original, satisfaction cereal, vanilla almond, and red berries.
Second, you can have two snacks in the day that consists of Special K products. There are crackers, pastry chips, cereal bars, protein bars, and cracker chips. Again, if you are used to snacking big, then this could leave you feeling hungry, especially because the products do not contain a lot of fiber.
Although, you will find that there is quite a variety of flavors in Special K snacks, just like the cereal, which means that you can feel as though you are getting a variety of different things and not just living off dull-tasting snacks. (Everyone remember the rice cake diet?)
You can also eat fruits and vegetables at any time of the day. And you can drink non-calorie drinks any time throughout your day.
Also, you get one free meal to eat what you want per day. Of course, you can’t eat an hour long meal full of fatty and fried food. You have to practice portion control and choose healthy options if you want to lose weight on the Special K Diet.
Note: Keep in mind that a ‘meal’ or ‘snack’ consists of one portion of a Special K product. You cannot eat the whole box.
Hypnosis For Weight Loss
- Weight Loss Hypnosis | Self Hypnosis Downloads
Are you struggling with weight loss? Self hypnosis can provide the extra motivation and determination to keep you moving in the direction of your goals, and help you escape the many food traps that can cause weight gain.
How Do You End Up Losing Weight On The Special K Diet?
It is very simple. You cut calories out of your day and therefore you lose weight.
Special K is not a magic food.
The snacks and cereals are pretty low calorie. Lower than most food you or I would regularly eat. In addition, because portion control is already taken care of in the ‘serving size’, you can’t overeat if you follow the plan and stick to a good portion sized free meal.
Plus, eating 5 different times per day, with the ability to eat fruits and vegetables as well, allows you to keep your body fed unlike other diets. This can help you avoid giving up and overeating out of sheer starvation.
Although, like I said, it can be hard to eat smaller portions in the beginning when you are used to big portions
What Is Good About The Special K Diet?
- You will probably lose weight if you stick to the diet. It is hard not to cut calories and engage in portion control and not lose weight.
- This is not a hard diet to stick to. There is no fancy cooking or meetings to go to; instead, you eat one of the prepackaged meals or snacks, and then have a regular meal when you want to.
- You can eat at many times throughout the day. There is nothing worse than not being able to reach for something, anything, when you are hungry. At least you can have fruit or vegetables if you get hungry on the Special K diet.
- The diet is good for people on the go. If you are at work all day, traveling, or just picking up and dropping off kids, it is easy to bring your snacks and even meals with you.
- If you follow the Special K Diet long enough, you should get a good sense of what portion control really is and become accustomed to eating smaller portions, which of course will help you when you are off the diet.
- If you like sweets, then your sweet tooth should be satisfied without having to reach for ice cream or chocolate bars. Most of the cereals are quite sweet.
What Is NOT Good About The Special K Diet?
- There is not a lot of fiber in the diet. Of course, you can easily take a few fiber pills to make this up.
- Even though some people talk about staying on the Special K diet long-term, it is not recommended. By eating a wide variety of foods every day you are ensuring that you are getting a wide variety of essential nutrients. That is why it is important to stop the diet when you receive some results and start eating healthier, nutrient-full options instead.
- It does not talk about exercise! Experts agree that exercise is a vital part to losing weight and being healthy, and the Special K diet alone is not going to be enough to really help you change your lifestyle around and keep the weight off.
- There is a lot of sugar in the diet. I am not a big fan of sugar. I think there is a lot of health issues that come from eating sugar. Look at the following label for the Special K Blueberry Flavour Cereal. It has sugar listed a bunch of times in the ingredients, which really ticks me off because by doing it that way, it seems like there is less sugar than there is. Plus I am not a fan of BHT.
Nutrition Facts For One Serving Of Blueberry Flavor Cereal
Who Is The Special K Diet Good For?
Even though it has downfalls, I can see how it would be good for some people to partake in this diet. For example:
- People who tend to overeat (I am one of them) will benefit from the prepackaged portion control. You do not have to depend on will power alone.
- People who are on the go a lot and find themselves stopping in at fast food joints because they are HUNGRY! The fact that you can easily take along the snacks and meals makes this a great diet for someone who makes the wrong choices because there is nothing else around to eat.
Who Is The Special K Diet Not Good For?
Anyone who wants to exercise vigorously will not benefit from this diet. The calories are too low, and it would be a better idea to find a diet that helps you get more healthy calories with a wide variety of nutrients to support muscle growth and energy.
For me, the high sugar and low fiber content of the Special K diet makes it a diet that I would not partake in.
A diet is supposed to be about becoming healthier and I just don't believe a lot of sugar and things like BHT are healthy for us.
However, I suppose the portion control and low calories can help you lose weight, so it may be a successful diet for you if you want to give it a go.
If anyone has experience with the Special K diet, please share YOUR findings in the comment section below. I would love to hear what you thought about the diet.