Speeding Up Metabolism
In your journey to lose weight you'll have to deal with the basic factor of losing weigh, which is your metabolism rate. The faster your metabolism speed is, the faster you burn calories and lose weight, and the opposite is true. Increasing your metabolism can help you burn calories, replace fat with muscle and give you more energy. It is easy to do this if you know the factors that help determine your metabolism rate and help you to speed it up.
- Determine your daily calorie needs: Figure out how many calories you need to consume every day to lose weight and keep your metabolism humming, this is called “maintenance level”. Knowing your maintenance level will give you a starting reference point from which to begin your diet, and it gives you an idea about how much food can you eat each day to maintain your weight or to lose some. Calories are counted according to age, sex, height, weight, lean body mass, and activity levels. Once you determine your daily caloric needs you can adjust your caloric intake according to your goal, by lowering calories in your diet so that you take fewer calories than what your body needs daily. This way you'll burn more calories and lose weight, but make sure you do this gradually because it is not advisable to make any drastic changes to your diet all at once, otherwise it will affect your health in a negative way.
- Eat lean protein and good carbs: Lean protein such as turkey, chicken, meat, eggs, and cheese build calorie-burning muscles, because protein has the highest thermic effect of any food (it makes your body burn some of its own calories when it digests the food you eat). Good carbs such as whole grains, veggies, legumes, and fruits are also considered major body fuel sources, they give the body energy to move and burn calories.
- Drink water: Studies have shown that drinking water may increase the rate at which people burn calories because the energy-burning process of metabolism needs water to work efficiently. It is also a well know fact that water flushes the system and curbs the appetite. You should drink at least 8 to 10 glasses per day, but depending on your activity, you might need more if you're active or you exercise a lot, then you need to drink more. The best way is to make it a habit to drink a glass or two first thing in the morning, a glass before each meal, one more after each exercise you do, and during the day just try your best. Believe me whatever your daily intake, you'll never have too much water.
- Eat breakfast: Remember school days, when they use to tell us that breakfast is the most important meal of the day? Well, it is true from a nutritional point of view. But what you need to know here is that making it a daily habit to eat breakfast is a big part of losing weight, lots of weight. So starting the day with breakfast is an important strategy to lose weight and keep it off for two reasons. First it gives you the energy needed to move and burn calories, and second if you skip breakfast, you'll be starving by midday, and then you'll eat whatever happens to be available without counting calories or nutritional value.
- Eat smaller meals more frequently: many people get confused about which is better, to eat 3 full meals a day or 5-6 smaller meals. But the debate is really clear now as experts said that it is much better to eat frequent smaller meals, and this is for everybody not only for people who want to lose weight because eating every few hours makes people feel energized and never have a full stomach. But there is a warning here, some people can not control themselves when they sit down to eat, so they intend to overeat, and with many meals a day, you'll just get the opposite result, so make sure to control your appetite.
- Don't starve: Do not skip meals and starve your body, some people think if they skip meals they will lose weight, but this is completely wrong, because when you skip a meal you tend to eat more in the next one, and also your body metabolism slows down.
- Drink Green Tea: During the last few years there has been a lot of media talk about the role of green tea in weight loss and other health benefits, and it is true that it boosts metabolic weight loss by helping the body to burn more fat during daily activities. Experts say that green tea helps to inhibit the movement of glucose into fat cells and to slow the rise in blood sugar after a meal. Green tea also has shown a proven effect in reducing appetite due to its blood sugar regulating effects. To get results from drinking green tea you need to drink 5-7 cups a day.
- Eat More Spices: Many studies have said that spices such as hot peppers, cayenne peppers, cinnamon, garlic, hot mustard, and many more to increase your fat burning metabolism, and some said that spices can also reduce your appetite by making you satisfied and feeling full on less.
- Exercise: It should be a part of life for many reasons, to build muscles, to gain energy, to stay in shape, but in our case exercising is important for weight loss. You need to know which exercises help you lose weight, so you can choose which ones are suitable for your body and lifestyle. Since weight loss is about burning more calories than you take in, and exercise burns calories, you should decide on an exercise plan, you do not need to start with powerful moves like weight lifting, you can start by things we all do such as walking, swimming. Just increase its regularity in your daily life and you'll see a difference.
- Sleep well: If you want to lose weight, it is advisable to sleep well (every night). According to researches having a good night's sleep can increase fat loss and help control feeling of hunger because sleep is a powerful regulator of appetite, energy use, and weight control. There are some appetite suppressant hormones such as leptin and ghrelin which are produced during sleep, so if you do not get enough sleep you'll not feel satisfied after you eat, and this makes you eat more.
Do not wait any longer, after you read this article check what you're already doing and start with the rest. Hopefully you'll see a difference in your weight and energy level within a short time. Make it a way of life.