Tame Your Stress
Who ya gonna call? Stress Busters!
Everyone has stress in their lives. A little stress is normal and healthy. However, when it starts getting out of hand and taking over your life, that's when you need to start taking steps to reduce it. Here are some helpful hints on how to do just that.
- visualize a peaceful scene
- have a hobby
- believe in yourself
- take a walk
- remember your triumphs
- take a deep breath
- avoid clutter
- learn to relax
- enjoy small pleasures
- cry if necessary
- give hugs
- ask others for help
- do neck rolls
- forgive and forget
- stop and smell the roses
- make lists
- reward yourself
- stretch often
- reflect on your joys
- sing a song
- count to 10
- have your checkups
- encourage others
- eat right
- have a leisurely lunch
- confront your feelings
- love others
- call a friend
- use proper lighting
- believe in others
- accept hugs
- laugh at yourself
- love yourself
Stress Tamers/Relaxation Techniques
- Breathing Exercises - There are many benefits to using breathing exercises to help relieve stress. They help relax your muscles and quiet the mind and wake up the brain by oxygenating the blood.
- Meditation - When meditating the brain functions at a level that is similar to sleep. The benefits of functioning at this level is that it allows your body to release certain hormones that promote health and it keeps your mind from working overtime by allowing it to focus on nothingness.
- Imagery - Focus on a calming scene that is personally peaceful to you allows you to naturally release stress. Examples of a calming scene could be: an ocean scene with waves gently lapping the shore, or a mountain scene with deer drinking from a gently flowing stream. Each image is personal, one that speaks to only you.
- Visualization - Visualization is simply visualizing yourself attaining a goal. If you are stressed at work about a project visualize yourself completing it and how your boss is thoroughly pleased. Or visualize yourself learning a new craft and how happy you are when you complete a piece of craft work. Imagine people oohing and ahhing over it.
- Exercise. I know, not everyone wants to exercise - to some it's a bad word. However, exercising releases the feel good hormones - the endorphins. It's also a good distraction from stressful situations and a great outlet for your frustrations.
- Yoga - Yoga is a terrific method of releasing stress. It combines several of the techniques used in stress management - breathing, meditation, imagery and movement.
- Music - Don't underestimate the power of music. When you listen to your own personal type music is can lower blood pressure, relax the body and calm the mind.
What stress reducing techniques does for you
- slows heart beat
- lowers blood pressure
- slows breathing rate
- improves concentration
- reduces muscle tension
- increases blood flow to major muscles
- reduces chronic pain
- reduces anger and frustration
- boosts confidence
Stress Quotes and Sayings
- There must be quite a few things that a hot bath won't cure, but I don't know many of them. - Sylvia Plath
- For fast acting relief, try slowing down. - Lily Tomlin
- Stress is an ignorant state. It believes that everything is an emergency. - Natalie Goldberg
- Adopting the right attitude can convert a negative stress into a positive one. - Hans Selye
- Stress is the trash of modern life - we all generate it but if you don't dispose of it properly, it will pile up and take over your life. - Terri Guillemets
- Tension is who you think you should be. Relaxation is who you are. - Chinese Proverb
- There is never enough time to do all the nothing you want. - Bill Watterson
- When stress is at it's highest, just know it can only go down. - Tom Rataj
- Pressure and stress is the common cold of the psyche. - Andrew Denton
- Give your stress wings and let it fly away. - Terri Guillemets
- I try to avoid stress - it makes me feel like I'm rubber-stamping all my organs "Urgent". - Berri Clove
- Stress is nothing more than a socially accepted form of mental illness. - Richard Carlson
- Sometimes the most important thing in a whole day is the rest we take between two deep breaths. - Etty Hillesum
- The time to relax is when you don't have time for it. - Jim Goodwin/Sidney J. Harris
- Reality is the leading cause of stress for those in touch with it. - Jane Wagner
- Stress Management at Work: 10 Tips for Preventing Bu...
Stress from work can lead to a miserable existence. Finding ways to control stress at work can help you enjoy one of the most time-demanding activities of your life. Use these stress management tips.
- Stress, Anxiety, Body Image Changes with Chronic Ill...
Stress, anxiety, body image changes with chronic stress happen to people of all ages that are living with a chronic illness.Living with a chronic illness is tough for anyone, an adult or child, as you juggle...
- Five Stress Relief Gift Ideas.
We all get stressed out from time to time. However, we all have friends, family members, and acquaintances that seem to have a massive amount of stress, making life almost unbearable for them. Why not...
- Reducing stress
Many of us live a stressful lifestyle without really being aware of it. Modern life exposes us to many pressures, producing a stress response from our system, including the release...
- When Stress, Worrying, and Too Much Thinking Becomes...
INTRODUCTION This Hub was written in response to a HubPages forum post about how to stop (as the poster described it)
- 5 Ways To Get Rid Of Stress
Ive been called high strung more than once in my life. Whether or not thats true, I do go through periods when I feel extremely frazzled and have to do something to alleviate the stress. Ive read the...
- 10 Ways to De-Stress Yourself in 10 Minutes or Less
People who live busy lives find themselves in a bit of a Catch-22 when it comes to de-stressing throughout the day. On the one hand, they have a really busy schedule which makes it feel like its...