How to Add Humor to Your Life
Stress weakens the immune system, leading to adverse effects on our health. Humor is one of the best ways to relieve stress, and can be easily added to our lives without a significant time or financial commitment.
Adverse Effects of Stress
Short-term stress can actually be beneficial in limited situations such as when competing in an athletic event, giving a work presentation, or during times of extreme danger. Stress causes hormones to be released that allow a person to either fight better or run faster from a threat. Such a response can enable a mother to lift a heavy object to save her children, or fight off a stronger attacker in times of fear. However, stress on a long-term term basis leads to very serious health issues and other detrimental effects such as:
- Increased risk of infection
- Sleep disturbances
- Decreased energy levels
- Changes in appetite
- Decreased sex drive
- Decreased healing ability
- Weakened immune system
Benefits of Humor and Stress Relief
Humor reduces the stress in your life. Reducing the stress in your life with humor will lead to a stronger immune system as well as these positive health benefits:
- Reduction of chronic pain.
- Improved mood due to the release of endorphins.
- Improved ability to cope with unavoidable stress.
- Increased creativity
- Reduced depression and anxiety
- Increased energy
- A more optimistic outlook on life
- Increased oxygen intake
- Relaxation of the muscles
This is hilarious!
Websites for Free Funny Jokes:
Do you use humor to relieve stress?
Tips to Add More Humor to Your Life
Everyone has their own definition of humor. Here are several ways to add more humor to your life:
- Go to a comedy club or simply watch a comedian on television.
- Watch a funny movie but make sure it meets your definition of humorous. Unlike the rest of the country I did not find Bridesmaids even remotely funny, so I had to find a movie that worked for me.
- Change your perspective and choose to see the humor in a situation rather than the frustration. For example, I was watching a movie in the family room with my kids and my son spilled his Chinese food everywhere, including all over the new leather couch. All of a sudden we started laughing and couldn't stop.
- When you are doing something you don't love like cleaning the house, try to think of something funny that happened in your recent or distant past. My mind sometimes returns to my college days, before my adult responsibilities kicked in.
- Play fun board games with your family.
- Read funny jokes online.
- Plan a night out with those friends that make you laugh. Avoid the negative people in your life.
- When you plan activities with your children find things you can also participate in rather than being an observer. Last winter I went sledding with my children rather than just watching them. I found myself laughing hysterically as I went speeding down the hill barely missing a huge rock.
- Attend a laughter yoga session.
- My husband says he adds humor by looking in the mirror every morning. That statement seemed funny to him, but I thought he was serious.
When you have a stressful situation try to find the humor in it. Take a few minutes every day and either think of something humorous that makes you smile or read a funny joke on the internet. You will find that this simple exercise will relieve stress and you will laugh more. Cheers to good health!!