Sugar In Surprising Places
Refined Sugar or Natural Sugar
All sugar comes from the sugar cane plant. The difference between natural and refined sugar is the addition of certain chemicals such as, phosphoric acid, sulfur dioxide, and calcium hydroxide. It is the chemically laden refined sugar that is added to most of the foods that are packaged or prepared for us.
Refined Sugar Has Many Different Names:
- Syrup (corn syrup, malt syrup, high-fructose corn syrup)
- Fruit juice
- Sucrose, sucralose, dextrose, fructose, gluclose (anything that rhymes with gross)
Natural Sugar Also Has a Few Different Names:
- Raw sugar
- Agave Nectar
I Eat How Much Sugar?
Adults and children alike consume approximately ½ pound of refined sugar every day.
That is about 22-24 teaspoons!
Many parents take pride in the fact that they limit the amount of sugar they allow their children to have.
Unfortunately sugar is added to many different foods and condiments that people typically assume wouldn’t contain any.
Most people expect to find sugar in certain cereals, cakes, cookies, sodas and candies. It's no shame that we all enjoy a sweet treat now and then, what few realize is how often we are getting our sweet fix without knowing it.
There Are Many Surprising Places That Sugar Can Be Found:
- Rice Chex, Kix and Rice Krispy cereals are just a few
- Bacon and Sausage meats
- Pancake mix
- 100% Natural Granola
- Tips For Sticking To Your Diet
There are many wonderful diet programs on the market to help all of us who want to feel better and look better. All of these plans offer different ways to reach the same goal, less calories. Most weight loss programs will work as intended if the plan
- Granola Bars
- Fruit snacks
- Fruit cups
- Graham crackers
- Certain Salsa brands
- 100% natural granola bars, crunchy or chewy
- Vanilla wafers
- Animal crackers
- Wheat thins
- Club crackers
- Baked natural crackers
- Kettle corn
- Beef jerky
- Ranch and BBQ flavored potato or corn chips
- Apple Sauce that says No Sugar Added
- The 2 Week Food Behavior Challenge
Many times our behaviors and habits sabotage our best efforts to lose weight and get healthy. This 2 week challenge is proposed to everyone who wants to feel better and look better. The focus of this challenge is not on which foods you choose to eat
Possible Lunch or Dinner Choices:
- Whole grain bread
- Beef, pork and chicken hot dogs
- Bologna and other lunch meat, including the premium, deli style ones
- Natural Cornbread mix
- 100% natural spaghetti sauce
- Canned and packaged pizza sauce
- Pre-made Pizza crust
- Boxed stuffing mix
- Boxed mashed potatoes
- Sloppy Joe mixes
- Fajita and taco seasoning packets
- Baked beans
- Canned chili
- Spaghetti O’s
- Canned ravioli’s
- Hamburger Helper mixes
- Packaged pasta mixes
- Chunky canned soups and chowder
- Vegetable, chicken and beef broth
- Packaged ramen instant meals
- 11 Simple Diet Changes Make A Big Difference On The Scale
Making just one small change per week can reduce the feeling that you’re dieting or denying yourself something.
- Worcestershire sauce
- Salad dressing
- Teriyaki and soy sauce
- Steak sauces
- Barbeque Sauce
- Seasoning blends for flavoring meats or vegetables
- Seasoned salt
- Fruit Juice
- All natural bottled Ice Tea
- Sports drinks like Gatorade and Powerade
- V8 vegetable juice drinks
Removing or Reducing Sugar
Removing sugar is not necessary for those who don’t have a medical condition that requires them to do so. Reducing our sugar intake certainly is a good goal idea however.
Our bodies can handle and process a certain amount of sugar just fine but an average of ½ pound per day is a little scary.
Knowlege Is Scary But Powerful
It is important that consumers are aware of exactly what they are purchasing and putting into their bodies on a regular or semi-regular basis.
Sometimes the knowledge is unsettling but there may be an upside to knowing that sugar seems to be everywhere.
The next time you start to feel guilty because your child or grandchild hasn’t been given any sugary treats in a while and they are giving you the cutest little sad face, you can confidently know that they have indeed eaten plenty of sweets. They have not been deprived in anyway.