Tips For A Positive Attitude
Sunshine's Guide to Thinking Positive
I wasn't born a positive thinker. For many years I was a pessimist. Always expecting the worse and hoping for the best. I still think that way at times, but I prefer not to. That way of thinking is exhausting. At some point it starts to become a drag.
Negative thinking can literally weigh you down. To me, it's useless energy being wasted on something that could be more productive.
Along our journey of life we will encounter many ups and downs. Even though events in my life haven't always been good, I still prefer to look on the bright side. In addition, there is always something good in every day. No matter how bad you think your day might have been, there is some one else who had a worse day.
I won't go into details or throw a pity party, because I don't like drowning my tears in sorrow. I am a strong believer in picking myself up, dusting myself off and moving forward.
Don't get me wrong, I do get the blues, I just don't like to stay under the dark clouds for long. Life is too short to remain in a negative mode. I prefer to be in the sunshine.
It Is What It Is
- Don't sweat the small stuff. Or the big stuff. Something that's pestering you at the moment probably won't be that serious in another day or two.
- Believe that there are some things that you have no control over. Unless you could truly change a situation it might be best to pass it along to a higher power.
- Know that there is always, always sunshine after a storm. Also during the storm you have the opportunity to create your own sunshine. Whether it's by listening to music, watching a movie or reading a book. You are in control of your sunshine.
- Yes, life will throw you lemons. Quite often. It's up to you to decide what to do with them. I personally throw them back.
- It's OK to fail. The important thing is trying and not giving into your fears. Failure gives you the strength you need to try again.
- Losing isn't all that bad. If you won all the time how would you truly learn? Go ahead and lose with a smile. Be proud and get better!
- Quitting isn't in my vocabulary. I am not a quitter. Some days I wish I was, but it's a no go. On those rare occasions when I feel I must "stop" I accept it, but I never call it quitting. So just replace the word quit with stop and be kinder to yourself.
- When you feel the need to whine or complain, keep in mind that there is always someone who has bigger problems than you. This way of thinking makes you appreciate what you have and might make your problems less catastrophic.
- When you feel the need to say something negative, allow a five second waiting period before you do. Maybe you might not say it after all.
- Everyone is fighting a battle of some type, be nice to who ever you meet. You never know how your graciousness could help their situation.
- Put your trust in karma. When something or someone has entered your positive thinking mode...stop, drop and roll with karma.
Are You Feeling The Positive Vibes Yet?
- When someone is trying to take away your joy with rudeness, kill them with kindness. Many times I have encountered a person who was in a miserable mood. Most of the time I succeeded in turning their mood around by being kind, instead of allowing them to take me down with them. Give them a compliment. Say something funny. If you don't succeed just wish them luck and be thankful you aren't them.
- People with a positive attitude don't expect things to happen. They don't sit back with their feet propped up on a desk or their hand folded in their laps. They make things happen. They take control and give it their all.
- Don't hold on to baggage. I'm not referring to travel baggage. I'm referring to mistakes of the past. You could either choose to accept your errors in life and move on or allow them to consume you. Yesterday is over and done with. You can't undo what's been done. All you can do is learn from your trials and errors.
- As you continue on your journey, try your best to make every day better than your last. Granted, some days you just might not think you have the energy, but unless you challenge yourself and try, you'll never find out what you could truly accomplish.
- Don't dwell with guilt. We all have reasons and situations that we dealt with that were troublesome. Some were heartbreaking. Some we never, ever thought we'd recover from. Yet, we did. Those occasions are what has led us to who we are today. They are our memories now. Guilt is a heavy burden to bear. Accept what's happened as what's happened and again, learn from it.
- Be thankful. For everything and everyone. For waking up in the morning. For having a clean bed to sleep in. Be thankful for food on your table. Be thankful for breathing. Being thankful keeps your positive mojo alive and well.
- Contrary to what you might think, you are stronger than you think you are. Your attitude might want to take a detour towards anger, resentment or bitterness. Stand tall, be brave and never give in, ever.
- Be generous to others. Whether with your time, charity work or something as simple as a smile. You have the power to make a difference in someone's life.
- Always remember that positive thinking is more healthier for your mind, body and soul than negative thinking. Don't allow your buttons to be pushed.
- Sunshine's motto is One Day at a Time. There is no other way.
Positive thinking will let you do everything better than negative thinking will. - Zig Ziglar
But I have found that in the simple act of living with hope, and in the daily effort to have a positive impact in the world, the days I do have are made all the more meaningful and precious. And for that I am grateful. - Elizabeth Edwards
Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek. - Barack Obama
There are four questions of value in life... What is sacred? Of what is the spirit made? What is worth living for, and what is worth dying for? The answer to each is the same. Only love. - Johnny Depp
Something to ponder...
Which "ist" are you?
Florida Georgia Line - Get Your Shine On
© 2013 Linda Bilyeu