- Exercise & Fitness
Quick And Fun Fitness Workouts For Busy People
Read Fun Stories About My Fitness Boot Camp Experience on my Blog
- Waking Up: A Fitness Boot Camp Story
7 Tips To Wake Up Early To Workout. I don't always want to wake up at 4am to go to boot camp, but I'm always glad I did. Here's what I do to help make it easier to get going.
How To Get The Most From Your Efforts in Fitness
Alright. If you’re reading this, you probably want to get right to it and find out some fast and effective ways to work out without taking a lot of time. You know why you need to work out, you know at least some of the benefits, and if you need motivation or other fitness tips you can check out my other hub, Yoga and Fitness in Kamloops and Beyond.
So let’s cut to the chase, shall we?
How To Work Out Fast and Effectively
- Go Hard! An intense workout where you’re giving all you’ve got in 15-20 minutes can bring you more benefit than if you were doing light exercise for an hour or more.
- Use Your Whole Body. Do exercises that engage and tone multiple muscle groups. I’ll give you some examples below.
- Join A Boot Camp. You’ll learn tons of awesome exercises, work harder than you knew you could, and get in the habit of working out intensely and efficiently.
A note about fitness boot camps: I joined a boot camp and was amazed at the way my body changed. I loved it! It was so much fun that I can’t wait for the next session. The best part is that I woke up early, did an awesome workout, and felt refreshed and ALIVE before I would usually even be out of bed!
Doing a boot camp trained me, so that now when I go to the gym I get down to business. I look around and I’m working harder than most of the other people in there, getting way more done in less time. Boot camps rock! Just make sure you find a boot camp instructor you like who challenges you and yet treats you well. You should feel empowered, not degraded.
- Yoga For Dragon Riders
Looking for an exceptional book on yoga? Build strength and cultivate wisdom with this deep dive into the playful and profound practice of yoga. Yoga for Dragon Riders encourages you to bring more magic to life and live your truth fully!
Quick and Fun Workouts
1. Rotate the following 4 exercises as many times as you can do in 20 minutes:
- 25 Lunges (each side) with your back leg up on a stair or chair
- 15 Burpees (see video below if you don’t know what these are)
- 30 Bicycle crunches (15 each side – do them super controlled)
- 20 Reverse crunches (With your hands under your back or butt to support low back, draw your knees toward your chest then extend them all the way out straight so they’re 6 inches above the floor)
2. Do this one outside, and plan a short lap that takes you a few minutes to run.
- Run half the lap, then sprint to your mat or home base
- Do 25 jump squats (squat, then jump at the top)
- Run most of the lap, then do lunges to your mat or home base
- Do 15 Burpees
- Run half the lap, sprinting back
- Do 25 push-ups
- Run most of the lap, do lunges back
- Hold floor plank on your forearms for one minute
3. Watch this core yoga workout below for a third option
(You can see photos and a breakdown of this workout in my Yoga Core Strength Fitness hub.)
Yoga Core Strength Fitness Routine
More Kick-Ass Fitness and Yoga Resources
- Anusara Yoga for Beginners - Ekhart Yoga
This beginners online yoga program will lead you through the foundational aspects of Anusara Yoga.
- Yoga Core Strength Exercises
Adding variety into your core strength exercises helps you train the stabilizing muscles of your body. This article and video can spice up your routine.
Remember to Warm Up and Cool Down
Just because you’re not working out for as long doesn’t mean you get to skip your warm up and cool down. Stretch! Otherwise you’ll be stiff and it won’t be nearly as rewarding to have worked out in the first place.
Warm Up Ideas:
- Jumping jacks
- Heels to the butt (put your hands behind your back and try to kick them with alternating heels, running in place with the knees down)
- Squats (with no weight)
Make sure you do a quick stretch session after your warm up and cool down.
Here’s a great hub that gives you a great stretching sequence which you can use before and after your exercise routine. POST WORKOUT STRETCH HUB. Use some or all of it to lengthen your muscles after you’ve given them such a great intense workout.