Supplements to Prevent Health Problems Related to Aging
Aging is a natural part of life. However stiff and aching joints, bad eyesight and memory, decrease in sex drive - that can all be avoided. Most health specialists agree that the key to preserving all those functions, is eating right.
The benefits you can get from consuming the right antioxidants and other supplements, is more than impressing. Every food has a part in slowing down the aging process. Some also play a huge part at preventing diseases.
In order for supplements to slow down aging and protect our bones, eyesight, heart and memory, we have to create a 2 level supplement schedule: the treating symptoms level and the prophylactic level.
From the age of 25, braincells (neurons) start dying around 1% a year. This means that by the age of 40, we have have lost around 10% of our normal thinking and remembering capacity. At that moment the process starts speeding up. That's because the concentration of natural protection and antioxidants start to decline. That's why supplements and diet have a very important role at preventing fast memory loss and other problems related to aging.
Here are some supplements that can be helpful.
Vitamins C and E
- Prophylactic dosage: consume around 400-600 IU of vitamin E with 500mg of vitamin C, preferably with a meal.
- Dosage for treating symptoms: consume around 600-800 IU of vitamin E with 1-3g of vitamin C, preferably with a meal.
Bones and Joints
Our bone structure reaches the maximum bone density between the age of 25 to 30. From there on they start to lose calcium and weaken. According to statistics, more than 50% of women above the age of 50 have a moderate bone density decrease and 20% suffer from osteoporosis or severe density decrease. Although osteoporosis is a common disease among women, it also affects men.
Joint pain and other osteoarthritis symptoms (chronic bone joint inflammation, which happens when the cartilage starts to wear off) can show up before osteoporosis.
Next we will talk about supplements for bone and joint problems.
Calcium and Vitamin D
- What it's good for: consuming calcium is really important to prevent the loss of calcium in the bones due to aging. Although most foods are quite rich in calcium, they don't cover the increased need.
- Vitamin D helps bones to absorb calcium faster and use it. Our body produces vitamin D from the sun rays, however by age the skin loses it's efficiency to do that.
By age the risk of cataract increases. The protein inside the eye lens liquid starts to break down and forms a layer that makes the eyesight go worse. Over 1/3rd of people over the age of 75 suffer from eye problems caused by cataract.
Many doctors believe that supplements can lower the risks of getting these problems.
Lutein and Zeaxanthin
- What it's good for: eyes contain a huge amount of those antioxidants. Sun rays damage the lutein and zeaxanthin filter inside the eye before reaching the middle part of retina.
There's numerous researches where it's advised to eat vegetables with green leaves to prevent eyesight problems.
Coronary artery disease is one of the deadliest diseases in developed countries. Causing every 5th death.
When aging, fats start to block the blood flow and oxygen from getting to the heart, brain and other vital organs. This is caused by hypertension, cholesterol and fatty diet.
The lowering of oxygen brings out many problems: reduced skin elasticity, bad memory and premature aging. Heart is a lot more sensitive to the damages caused by the free radicals. By time the natural antioxidant reserves start to decline, the heart muscle gets weaker due to the increased activity of free radicals and that decreases the blood flow in arteries.
This supplement is great for preventing coronary artery disease.
- Right amount of vitamin prevents the bad cholesterol from forming onto the artery walls.
- Prophylactic dosage: consume 400-600 IU of vitamin E a day, preferably with a meal.
Scientists believe that the decline in sex drive is mostly caused by blood flow problems. That's why supplements that stimulate the blood flow should also increase the sex drive. The following supplement also helps fighting against impotency and stimulate the libido.
- This amino acid turns nitrous oxide inside the body. It relaxes and lowers blood pressure. By relaxing the vessels, the blood flow improves in the entire body. That's why L-arginine is not only good for the heart but also potency. This is why it's especially good for older men. Although no certain study has been carried out on women, it has been noted that L-arginine increases the libido and the intensity during a sexual act.
Alzheimer's disease is progressive, degenerative and nonreversible. It's a neurological illness that attacks the brain, memory and thinking. Alzheimer's is currently the 4th reason for deaths among adults. The cause for this illness is still unknown, however it seems it has mostly to do with genetics.
What can we do to prevent this disease?
Well we can live by the 6 pillar lifestyle:
- Regular exercising.
- Healthy diet with necessary supplements.
- Quality sleep.
- Mental exercising.
- Active social life.
- As less stress as possible.
As you can see the main thing is keeping yourself busy. Show the brain and your body that they are still needed!