- Personal Health Information & Self-Help
Taking Care of Your Spiritual Self; Meditation and Metamusic
When we share out inner most thoughts with a higher power our immune system recives a boost. Chemicals are produced in the brain that are natural mood enhancers.
Spirituality can be an important part of our lives. Often Spirituality is associated with attending church, but it is much broader than that!. Spirituality can be meditation, prayer, reciting mantras, Yoga or even Tai chi. Spirituality is becoming more accepted in the health field. Many have seen the healing powers of prayer. Dr Herbert Benson from the Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston believes that a belief in a higher power can reduce visits to the Doctor's office from 35 to 50 %. A study by Dr William Strawbridge of the University of California at Berkley did a study on how spirituality affects us. He followed 5000 Californians for 28 years. The results indicated people who were more involved in religious services had lower death rate, had marriages last longer and had more social contacts then those who did not attend religious services.
Did You know there are 72 Medical Schools in the US that offer a course in Spirituality and healing?
How is your Spirit?
If you think your spirit is lacking Chloe Jon Paul, the author of the book, Entering the Age of Elegance, A Rite of Passage and Practical Guide for the Modern Maturing Woman wants you to Try Some of her M&Ms! Nope she is not talking about candy! She is talking about meditation and meta-music.
Let's take a look at meditation first.
Meditation is a process of quiet reflection to help your mind become more calmer and more focused. There are simple steps to meditation:
- Pick a time of day you can spend 10 minutes in meditation. You want to at least start out with ten minutes and then you can gradually increase your time. Mornings are usually the best time.
- Make sure you have selected a quite space to do your thought reflecting.
- You need to make a positive affirmation about the day you want to have. for example you can say "Serenity will surround me throughout the day"
- Find a comfortable position to sit in. Make sure the position you sit in allows you to focus. Sitting cross legged is recommended. Sitting on a bed or a rug is not!
- You will no doubt have distracting thoughts crop up when you start out meditating. Do not worry about it as your concentration will increase over time. There are many many techniques to meditation. There will be some links at the end of the article if you would like to check them out!
What is Metamusic? The concept of meta-music was developed by the Monroe Institute. This special type of music uses Hemi Sync technology that uses frequencies in music to alter your brain waves. Now this may sound a little too much like science fiction but there is a science to it. The meta-music sends different frequencies through the music through stereo headphones. Your brain responds to the meta music by producing a sound of it's own. This sound the brain creates is called a binaural beat. The Binaural beat create brainwave activity. The Monroe institute creates CDs that have meta music designed to slow down excess mental activity. Metamusic is ideal for meditation or relaxation. To find out more check out the links below!
For examples of Metamusic listen here
What else can you do to increase your spiritual awareness?
Journaling is a great way to keep yourself focused and to see how far you have come. Journaling allows you to think about and articulate your most innermost thoughts.
Silent retreat. This can be done at home or at a retreat center. It is important to be able to get away and be able to experience total tranquility. Note" if you elect to do this at home you need to turn off the cell phone TV and Computer!
Read! There are several books you can read to encourage your spiritual growth! The books recommended are listed to the right!
Hobbies believe it or not can help you soothe yourself as well. Perhaps you draw, or paint or maybe garden. These can all be relaxing and create an atmosphere to help your spirit. I know when I am creative I feel the best about myself.
How to you take care of your spiritual needs?
The information in this hub was taken from excerpts of the book Entering the Age of Elegance, A Rite of Passage and Practical Guide for the Modern Maturing Woman by Chloe Jon Paul. If you liked what you read here please check out her book or her website!
Entering the Age of Elegance
Links on Meditation
- Higher Balance Institute
- Meditainment - Deep Relaxation by Guided Meditation
Guided relaxation downloads and CDs for Health and Wellness. Welcome to Meditainment. Try the FREE meditation called 'The Secret Garden'