- Aging & Longevity
Ten Tips to Look Younger than Your Age
Conceit aside, I write this hub because of people who asked me how I maintain youthfulness that I don’t look like 57. Whether they are sincere or not, I know what is true to me.
People would compare me to my younger sister and would say that I look much younger than she is; they also compare me to my best friend, who is two years younger than me, compare me too to anybody younger than me and they would say that I look younger than them. In short, they won’t believe that I am 57; most would say that I am in my forties, even thirties at times.
Most significant incidents are something like when my three grandchildren ages 12 (the twins) and their eldest sister 17 and I would go shopping in the mall; when they call me Lola (grandma), the sales girls would react and ask them “Why do you call her Lola? Is that her name?” My grandchildren would answer “No, she is our Lola (our Grandma)” and the salesgirls would laugh in disbelief.
The comments on my youthful look would have been flattering if I didn’t know my truth. But I do have some tips on how to “look” younger than your age.
Following are some suggestions on how to look younger than your age;
1. In your mind see yourself as the ever youthful “Jenny” or whoever your name is.
Scrutinize the young you; your hair, your skin, your clothes, your emotions, your movement and behavior in any given situation. How old are you as you see yourself in your mind? How you see yourself will reflect on how people will see you.
2. Be aware of, and assess your feelings, and responses to any situation in your life, in people, in animals, in objects, in places, in any incidents…
3. Smile and laugh a lot with friends and love ones; choose to see the brighter side of life and the beauty of nature.
4. Maintain a positive outlook in life, don’t look and feel like you are beaten in life; express your emotions and be charmingly cheerful.
5. Joy, peace, and happiness that emanate from within will glow in your outward expressions and countenance; have a joyful and positive mental attitude.
6. Take care of your health by eating the right food and doing the right exercises for you; be consistent.
7. Be assertive with your beauty regimen by wearing fashionable clothes and accessories fitting your personality in any given occasion and situation.
8. Be conscious in looking fresh all the time by paying attention to your skin, nails, hair; keep them clean, healthy and attractive.
9. Keep dreaming, live your dreams, love beauty, love the arts, music; be creative and productive by regularly doing your hobbies.
10. Most importantly, love, love, and love; most of all love and accept yourself completely as you are, and as you do with others.
As you notice, six out of the ten tips come from within; what is within so is without. Our world of tangible reality is just the reflection of our personal inner world. Of course there is a case to case basis such as the inherent gene and the environmental and cultural factors; but even with these, there is still a way to alter nature through willpower, consistence and persistence.
There you go; these are the only things I do that keep me young at heart, in thoughts and in looks. Life is full of natural beauty and fun so in the spirit of fun I live to embrace all of life; the pain and the sorrows included…there is so much fun to enjoy in life that my psyche forgets the time, the aging.