- Quality of Life & Wellness»
- Personal Development
Ten Ways to Find Success in Life
Everyone wish to be successful, but few wish to pay the price. We have to change various aspects of our lifestyle to inch closer towards our ideal life. Always keep in mind that our brain has potential to turn our every dream into reality. Then what stops many people from achieving their goal? The greatest obstacle between a person and his success is his decision.
Ninety percent of success we achieve depends on how we use our mind. Henry Ford once said: "If you think you can do a thing or you can't do a thing, you are right." Many people fail even before beginning the task because of the negative thinking. A negative mind uses past failures, imaginary fears, feelings of unworthiness etc. all such thoughts deter us from achieving our biggest dream. So to achieve success in life, one should follow ten principles listed below.
Winners use words that say 'must' and 'will'.— Jordan Belfort
1. Do What You Love
'Do what you love and love what you do' everyone must abide by this quote to emerge as successful. The secret road to success passes through the tunnel of happiness, to summarize it if you enjoy the processes and do not care about the monetary gains success is bound to come your way.
Tony Hawk got his first skateboard at nine. Five years later he turned pro. Many people use to taunt him that what he is doing is a 'waste of time, kids game, your future is bleak.' but he never stopped skateboarding and kept pursuing his passion. Though he went through the down phase, he always had faith in himself. Now at 48, he is the owner of a skateboard company, 'Birdhouse', and an actor. So it's necessary to have faith and do what you love.
Successful people always strive to learn something new and try to implement their life. They strive to gain the knowledge instead of money, and this brings them wealth. They seek to learn from as many fields as possible; it helps them to create the number of opportunities. The following points can help in learning new things:
- Read articles related to new concepts and subjects which can help in achieving a goal.
- Attend seminars on the variety of topics. Sometimes, it is beneficial to hear from an expert.
- Step out of comfort zone and learn about new subjects which are not related to your profession. It broadens overall perspective benefitting us in life.
A survey at the University of Texas found that discovering new skills keep brain keen. A similar study conducted for three months found that people have improved retention who learn new things than those who do not.
3. No Complaining
People who complain are often influenced by external factors. They curse economy, their bosses, peers, and family for the problems they face. They victimize themselves and try to justify the situation of them being helpless.On the contrary successful people hardly complain. Instead, they figure out solutions to the problems. They think of ways to improve themselves and see the opportunities in problems. They never victimize themselves and say, "why it only happens with me?" and they are aware of not being alone in the world going through the predicament.
Tim Ferriss, author of 'The 4-hour Workweek' went 21 days without complaining. He saw positive changes in his life, which are:
- The lazier thinking evolved from counterproductive commiserating to solution intent thinking.
- No negative events because it helped in finding tentative solutions.
- People want to be around the action-oriented problem solvers.
4. Fear of Future
Most people have a negative thought process; which forces them to worry about the future. Over 90% of people are concerned about something will go astray, but in reality, such things never occur in our life. Successful people have confidence about their future. Here are steps to overcome the fear of failure:
- Prediction: Do not allow prediction to control your decision.
- Present: Daily there exist many things to look after. So, concentrate on the present and consider taking small steps to complete a huge goal.
- Self-visualization: Imagine that you conquered your fears, self-visualization will encourage you a lot. It will work to reduce down your anxiety.
- Relax: Take out time from the busy schedule and relax, and do deeds, which can rejuvenate the mind.
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear.— Mark Twain
5. Fear of Failure and Success
Gary Burnison wrote a book 'No Fear of Failure'. He wrote 'Vincente Fox risked going up against the dominant party in his country. Though there could have been reprisals against his family landholdings. Instead of retreating, Fox campaigned for office and became the first opposition president. He ended seventy-one years of the single-party regime in Mexico.'
Influential people master the fear of failure. They look failure as an opportunity and try to learn in tough phase. Its first seems difficult to pass through a failure. But once a person becomes optimistic, he realizes that it is easy to move through a failure and that it is a better learning curve than success. Many people have fear of success, many people ponder "what will happen if I become successful, and anything goes wrong". So, it is necessary to control fear and use it in our favor.
6. Physical Fitness
What is the use of all the wealth and success? If a wealthy person is spending a major chunk of his earnings on his deteriorating health. Thus, it is essential to include exercise or any sport in daily routine. Self-discipline is necessary to ensure regular workout and a healthy diet. The American Heart Association did a study, which proved that adults who watch television over 4 hours a day had 46% increase chances of death from any cause and 80% increase risk of cardiovascular disease. The various dietary supplements like multivitamins and protein powder aids to improve the physical fitness. By doing exercise, brain function is improved. Here are the tips to improve the physical fitness:
- Wake up early in the morning, it helps to improve the digestive system.
- Knowing our body type helps us in setting the fitness goal i.e. whether to drop fat or gain muscle or both.
- After determining the purpose, design the diet according to your goal.
The American Heart Association recommends 150 hours of exercise per week. It has health benefits such as:
- Releases tension.
- Promotes enthusiasm and optimism.
- Counters anxiety and depression and increases enthusiasm and optimism.
- Improves self-image.
- Boosts energy level.
- Reduces the risk of stroke by 20% in active people and by 27% in people with sedentary habits.
7. Taking Action
What is the advantage of all the wisdom and talents if there is no willingness to act? Action separates the successful people from the unsuccessful one. Many people have the passion and bright ideas, but they do not dare to take action. Taking action improves chances of becoming successful. It is necessary to take action because:
- Taking action creates opportunities beyond imagination.
- The pain of inaction is greater than that from the action. Pain from work makes one grow.
- Motivation follows the work.
- Action creates courage.
- The work develops the personality.
8. Truth About financial success
Successful people never strive for money. They make money works for them. They work to gain knowledge. Rich people build assets from real-estate investment, stock bonds. These assets bring them more wealth and take care of their expenses. The middle class and poor people spend more money on liabilities such as the car loan, home loan, EMI's.
Forbes company did a survey to find out how top billionaires of the world made money? Most of them became rich by investing. Warren Buffet has devoted his entire life to picking the best stock investment. Warren Buffet's company Berkshire Hathaway, own significant stakes in different industries. Warren buffet started with hundred dollars and turned them into billions. So, it's not about how much money a person have, it's about gaining quality knowledge.
Warren Buffet said, " The most important investment you can make is to yourself."
Dreams are vital. You can't do it unless you imagine it.— George Lucas
9. Dreaming Big
An unknown truck driver from Mississippi got a chance to perform live at one of the most famous concerts in the world- Nashville's Grand Ole Opry. He got a polite response from the crowd but was Opry's management dumped him. Everyone advised him to go back to truck driving. But the man had a dream to become the famous Rock 'N' Roll artist. That young man was Elvis Presley. He sold billion of copies of his songs worldwide. Despite his death, he still manages to earn fifty-five million a year up to October 2013. Elvis Presley dared to dream big and never gave up on it. That's why he was able to become the most famous singer and actor of the world.
Our mind has the potential to achieve any dream and make it into reality. Thus, imagine the ultimate life goal grand. Daily visualize and affirm the goals. That makes sub-conscious to accomplish them. Reasons why dreaming big is vital:
- Limiting the thoughts and ideas never benefits in achieving great success.
- Dreaming big makes mind focus on it.
- We become more involved while achieving it; we never concentrate on negative thoughts.
- Dreaming big forces, us to work harder and unleash our full potential.
A man left his son when he was 18 months old. The kid moved from cities to cities with his drug addicted mother. Dropped out of school for failing ninth grade three times. Was bullied because he was new. Became drug addicted and tried suicide. No one accepted him, but he had passion. His mother and wife filed a lawsuit against him. He never gave up and followed his passion, and now the world knows him by his name 'Eminem.'
We have to go through the failure many times before getting a glimpse of success. So, keeping faith in ourselves and not giving up is the key and when we have thoughts of giving up visualizing our dream and again telling ourselves that achievement of the goal is not complete and must work to make it come true. Here are steps to increase the level of persistence:
- The purpose should be clarified and reminding it whenever there are thoughts of giving up.
- Identify the possible sources necessary to achieve the goal. Thus, if one strategy is not working, switch to another without wasting time.
Never Give Up
Thus, successful people have an active approach towards their life. They put on a lot of self-investment to improve themselves every day. To be successful, you don't have to own specific knowledge, skill. It doesn't matter if you are young or old, what matters is your thinking and mentality. So, it's never late; you can improve yourself every day. Don't linger in the past. Concentrate on your present and have faith in yourself, good times will come. Enjoy your existence on this beautiful planet.