- Diseases, Disorders & Conditions
The 5 Stages of Candida Overgrowth
Candida is a fungus that is found in small amounts in healthy intestines. It is also a form of yeast. Certain medications, including antibiotics, and foods can cause this yeast to grow too abundantly. This can cause painful cramping, thrush, yeast infections, and a long list of other symptoms.
Candida grows in stages but can remain hidden through some of these stages. This article will describe:
- The five stages of candida overgrowth.
- How to get rid of candida.
- Recognizing when the yeast is dying off.
- Anti-fungal supplements to try.
- A diet to control candida growth.
Affects the mucous membranes of the body, including the mouth, nose, vagina, and respiratory system. Symptoms include:
- Infant colic, childhood and adult unexplained anger/rages
- Vaginal yeast infections
- Severe PMS
- Urinary tract infections
- Body rashes
- Difficulty falling or staying asleep
- Oral thrush
- Allergies to foods, chemicals, dust, fungus, yeast, and/or molds
- Recurrent bouts of bronchitis, sinusitis, tonsillitis, strep, or staph infections
- Gas (infant or adult)
- Bad breath and body odor
- Bladder weakness
- Sun spots or liver spots
- Cravings for sugar and/or alcohol
Involves more generalized and chronic reactions. Symptoms of stage two include those of stage one, as well as:
- Unexplained weight gain or inability to keep weight on
- Ear infections or tinnitus (ringing in the ears)
- Chronic muscle and joint pain and arthritis
- Headaches (including migraine)
- Infant or adult reflux
- Bladder infection/UTI’s
At this stage, an individual's behavior and mental health will be affected. All symptoms that belonged to stages one and two are also present during stage three, as well as:
- Inability to concentrate
- Serious forgetfulness
- Memory loss
- Mental confusion
- Not being able to think of words
- Switching around words and letters when trying to speak and/or write
- Loss of previous skills (such as how to type or play piano)
- Irrational thoughts, unusual fears, phobias, and panic/anxiety attacks
- Muscle twitching
- Violence, depression, and aggression
- Epileptic seizures
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- Thyroid disorders
Also known as "systemic yeast," this stage can result in the shut-down of some organs and systems, including these symptoms:
- Adrenal gland failure
- Endocrine system failure
- Severe constipation
- Total muscle weakness
Sadly, at this stage the entire body, down to every cell, is effected. At this stage the organs shut down and the individual may die.
Getting Rid of Candida Over-Growth
Over-abundant candida yeast can be controlled, but it takes some time, which depends upon the stage of over-growth. Their are many treatment options to choose from. You can choose to do one, or all of them. The more treatments you use, however, the faster you will get rid of the yeast. Some home remedies include:
- Acidophilus- This will help put the friendly bacteria back into the intestinal tract. Since candida is mostly unfriendly bacteria, the friendly bacteria will overrun the bad one's. It forces the unfriendly bacteria out, and you are left candida-free. Acidophilus is an ingredient that is found in yogurt, though increasing yogurt won't provide the same results as acidophilus supplements. Taken 3-4 times a day, supplements can be effective in 2-3 months.
- The Candida Diet- This approach works best as an addition to other treatments. The diet will also help prevent over-growth from recurring once under control.
- Anti-Fungals- These come in the form of natural ingredients found in food, supplements, and creams. An anti-fungals job is to break open the fungal cells to help speed up the process of yeast die-off.
- Spirulina- This bluish-green algae grows in alkaline waters, for example volcanic lakes. This puts good bacteria back in the gut and prevents candida from thriving. You can find it in supplements format.
When candida begins to die, you will notice some symptoms. As a with toxins, the waste inside of candida will release back into the bloodstream so it can exit the body. Many people stop anti-candida treatments when these symptoms strike.
To ensure that you only suffer from mild die-off symptoms, only take the minimum dose of acidophilus every day. The more you take, the more severe your symptoms will be, although more acidophilus help gets rid of the candida a faster rate. The choice is up to you.
Symptoms of Yeast Die-Off:
- Muscle pain
- Swollen glands
- Constipation or diarrhea
- Faster than normal heartbeat
- Acne or other skin breakouts such as whiteheads
- Gas and/or bloating
- Itchy skin with or without a rash
- Cravings for sugary and yeast-based foods.
An anti-fungal's job is to kill fungus. Anti-fungals break down the wall of the fungus and force the toxins out. With candida, anti-fungals help the yeast die off more quickly than it would otherwise.
Natural anti-fungals include:
- Coconut oil- Contain an ingredient called caprylic acid and is very effective.
- Grapefruit seed extract- Is available in liquid form. Must be diluted due to its bitter taste.
- Olive leaf extract- Inhibits further growth of candida.
- Garlic- Is nature's antibiotic but is also nature's anti-fungal. Garlic will not kill the friendly bacteria like prescription antibiotic's do.
- Apple cider vinegar- Contains a natural anti-fungal ingredient called malic acid.
- Carrot juice- Has great antifungal properties.
More Natural Anti Fungals Include
- Oil of Oregano
- Caprylic Acid
- Aloe Vera
- Black Walnut
- Oregon Grape
- Pau d'Arco
During a treatment for candida over-growth, you should also begin eating an anti-candida diet of specific foods that keep the yeast from growing back. Candida is a living organism inside of you. It thrives on certain foods, specifically two:
These two foods must be eliminated in order to eliminate candida.
Anti-Candida Vegetables, Herbs, Nuts & Seeds
Coconut oil (virgin)
© 2013 Alecia Brown