The Advantage Of Being an Introvert
An Introverted Introduction
One third of the world is introverted. The other two thirds are extroverts or something in the middle. Strictly speaking for myself, I tend to draw toward that more introverted half, but I wouldn't classify myself as 100% an introvert.
There are a lot of people who don't know what they are: Introvert, extrovert, or something in the middle, so let's break down the 2 categories in order to better understand them...
How To Know If You Are Introverted
- Hesitate before sharing personal information with others
- Keep energy and enthusiasm only for those they know best
- Prefer one -to-one communication
- Think before speaking
- Give concrete examples when describing things
- Base decisions on facts, not sentiments (...and now we know the types of people scientists are.)
- Prefer to relax alone or with a few close friends
- Appear calm, self-contained, and like to observe.
How To Know If You Are An Extrovert
- Like to be in the middle of all the action
- Love variety
- Think of casual acquaintances as friends
- Enjoy chitchatting, even with strangers
- Speak or act without needing to think first
- Are generally upbeat and peppy
- Tend to talk more than listen
Why Introverts Are Mistaken For Being "Shy"
Shyness is NOT a personality trait nor a characteristic somebody is born with. It is a response. It is a response to how one believes that the outside world views them.
Extroverts consider introverts "shy" or weird because they do something that extroverts hate. Introverts challenge extroverts to sit down, think, and reflect before barging ahead with an idea that may be based solely on emotions instead of rational fact. Things such as seeking revenge are the most common form of extroverted qualities. So naturally, an extrovert who is set on pummeling though the situation, will be unnerved when an introvert tells them to slow down, think about consequences, and think logically.
Since most of the world is extroverted, it's easy to see why introverts quickly fall into the stereotype minority of "shy".
INFP: Great tips for an Introvert!
- Abraham Lincoln
- Sir Alfred Hitchcock
- Michael Jordan
- Thomas Edison
- Grace Kelly
- Gwyneth Paltrow
- Laura Bush
- Bill Gates
- Harrison Ford
- Albert Einstein
"Life begets energy-energy creates energy. It is only by spending oneself wisely that one becomes rich in life."
- Vote it UP
- Leave a comment
- Share it
This hub was based on information adapted from
The Introvert Advantage, How to Thrive in an Extroverted World
by Marti Olsen Laney, Psy.D.