The Blood Type Diet
The Blood Type Diet was devised by Dr Peter D'Adamo ND (Naturopathic Doctorate) and details of the four diets for each blood group are detailed in his book "Eat Right 4 Your Type". According to the cover of the book The Blood Type Diet provides "The Individualized Diet Solution to Staying Healthy, LIving Longer and Achieving Your Ideal Weight". The book was first published in 1996 and was voted one of the "Ten Most Influential Health Books of All Time". It has become an international best seller, being translated into more than fifty languages, with more than four million copies in print and it has its following of celebrities on both side of the "Pond" such as Jennifer Lopez, Ellen DeGeneres, Hugh Grant, Elizabeth Hurley and Martine McCutcheon.
Dr Peter D'Adamo
Dr Peter J D'Adamo is a second generation naturopathic doctor who gained his Naturopathic Doctorate (ND) in 1982 from Bastyr College, Seattle. He has a medical practice in Wilton Connecticut and he has been practicing naturopathic medicine for over 20 years. He is licensed as a naturopathic physician in Connecticut, California, British Columbia, Washington, Ontario and Arizona.
The Thinking behind the Diet
Dr D'Adamo decided that there had to be a reason why some people lose weight and others do not whilst eating the same foods and why some people age better than others and why some people get ill and others don't.
Following research into medical history, genetics and anthropology Dr D'Adamo concluded that blood type was the answer to this conundrum., He believes our bodies ability to deal with different nutrients is determined by our blood group and he has based his theory on the idea that each blood group has its own unique antigen marker, a substance that the body recognises as being alien and each of these markers reacts badly with certain foods which could lead to all sorts of potential health problems. Dr D’Adamo believes that, if you follow a diet designed for your blood type, your body will digests and absorbs food more easily and efficiently and you will lose weight.
However Dr D'Adamo's theory is considered to be unsupported by scientific evidence by scientists, dieticians and physicians.
Dr Peter D'Adamo - Blood Type O Diet
The Four Diets
Dr D'Adamo had devised four diets for each of the four basic blood types:
- O - the hunter
- A - the cultivator
- B - the nomad
- AB - the enigma
Blood Type O
Blood Type O was the first blood type and Dr D’Adamo believes that our digestive tracts have retained the memories of ancient times and the ancestors of the Type O blood type were hunter gatherers because of this he recommends a diet that
· Is high in lean meats, poultry and fish
· Avoids dairy products, grains, bread, legumes and beans
· Is high in fruit and vegetables but avoiding brassicas such as cabbage, brussel sprouts, cauliflower and nightshade family plants such as potatoes and eggplant (aubergine)
· Avoids caffeine and alcohol
Blood Type O Food, Beverage and Supplemental Lists
Dr Peter D'Adamo - Blood Type A Diet
Blood Type A
Blood type A was the next blood type to evolve and the ancestors of the Type A blood type were farmers and Dr D’Adamo recommends a vegetarian diet that
· Is high in fruit and vegetables but avoids potatoes, cabbage,tomatoes, peppers, oranges, mangoes and papaya. .
· Avoids dairy products apart from small quantities of fermented dairy products such as yoghurt and low fat sour cream.
· Is high in legumes and beans and to a lesser degree nuts and seeds
Blood Type A Food, Beverage and Supplemental Lists
Blood Type B
Blood type B evolved in the Himalayan highlands which are now part of Pakistan and India. It may have been a genetic mutation in response to the colder climate but the ancestors of Type B blood are considered by Dr D’Adamo to have developed the ability to thrive in changeable conditions. He recommends a diet that
· Is high in all lean meats with the exception of chicken.
· Is rich in dairy foods and deep ocean fish
· Avoids nuts and seeds and shellfish
· Is high in fruit and vegetables but avoiding tomatoes
Dr Peter D'Adamo - Blood Types B and ABs Diets
Blood Type AB
Blood type AB is the most recent blood type to appear and it evolved from the combining of blood types A and B. Possibly not unsurprisingly Dr D’Adamo recommends a combination of the diets for each of these blood groups that
· Is high in fruit and vegetables including tomatoes
· Contains dairy foods and seafood
· Avoids caffeine and alcohol
· Contains grains and tofu and nuts and seeds to a small degree