How to survive the Cabbage Soup Diet without chewing your arm off!
You want to lose weight?
You want to lose weight, and fast? You've heard that the cabbage soup diet can help you drop 7-10 pounds in just 7 days? The cabbage soup diet does work BUT you have to be prepared for it - if you don't plan out what you are going to eat you'll just feel angry ALL the time! I'm going to give you some great recipe tips to get you through the next 7 days, which, believe me, will feel like the longest 7 days of your life if you don't put some serious consideration into what you'll be eating over the next week.
Before you read the rest of this article please be aware that this diet is a short term diet only and NOT something you should do for any longer than the 7 days or more often than once a month. You may want to speak to your doctor first and definitely, definitely stop if you start to feel really ill, faint or dizzy!
This is a low calorie, low fat diet and is not suitable for anyone with a really active job, children or adolescents.
Remember that this diet will only work if you use iit for what it is - a kick start, not a magic cure. You need to continue to eat healthily once you finish. This is not a long term diet.
Whatever you do, if you decide to try this diet - eat loads of whatever you are allowed each day - DO NOT starve yourself!
This is hilarious!
Cabbage, cabbage, cabbage.......
You can get the recipe off loads of sites and they're all pretty similar, the staple ingredients don't vary - i.e. cabbage (which isn't actually the main ingredient - onions are). This is the recipe I have used, you can add various seasonings to enhance (or mask) the flavour but if you hate cabbage or vegetables then I just can't help you I'm afraid and this may not be the diet for you!
1/2 head cabbage (green leafy cabbage is best, roughly chopped)
6 large onions (peeled and roughly chopped)
3 large carrots (peeled and roughly chopped)
1 bunch celery (washed and trimmed)
2 green peppers (deseeded and roughly chopped)
1 tin tomatoes
1 vegetable stock cube
1 packet of onion soup mix
To flavour; salt, pepper, cayenne, curry powder, cumin, worcestershire sauce, tobasco (use your imagination but I wouldn't suggest all of these at once!)
- Place all ingredients into a LARGE stock pan, top up with water, bring to the boil then simmer for 20-30 minutes until all the veg is cooked through.
- Now blend, you may prefer to only blend a little while so that you have chunks of veg -others prefer it completely all blended into a puree. It's down to personal taste at the end of the day but I would highly recommend at least some blending.
- Taste and season to your preference.
- Enjoy! Well, try to anyway. I quite like it myself but after a few days even I get bored of the taste so try to vary the extra flavours.
I find that the quantities above will serve 2 people for 2 days.
Other sites to look at:
- Cabbage Soup Diet - 7 Day Eating Plan
Cabbage Soup Diet - The 7 day eating plan for rapid weight loss
- Cabbage Soup Diet - Diet - goodtoknow
It's a tough one - you mainly eat cabbage soup, fruit, other veg and some meat on this very low-calorie diet, but you could lose a massive 10lbs by next week The Cabbage soup diet is a low-calorie diet which allows you to lose 10lbs in a week eating.
- Cabbage Soup Diet
The cabbage soup diet is a very strict temporary diet plan and is for anyone wishing to lose weight fast
Day 1- Soup and fruit
Today you may eat as much soup and fruit (no bananas) that you can physically fit into your body. Make sure that you've prepared your soup in advance and eat it whenever you want - ou can literally eat as much of it as you'd like! I would recommend preparing your breakfast the night before - a large fruit salad is good. Fill up, because if you start the day hungry you're more likely to cave! Whenever you're hungry grab a piece of fruit and or have a hot drink like herbal tea, unsweetened tea or hot water with a slice of lemon. You can also drink unsweetened cranberry juice but the hot drink will make you feel more satisfied! Also make sure you drink plenty of water.
There's a limit to how inventive you can be on this day but I have a couple of suggestions:
- Fruit salads - try to eat as many different types of fruit as possible today and lots of apples as these are more filling.
- Try adding different seasonings to your soup at lunchtime to dinnertime, for example have salt and pepper on your lunchtime soup but add curry powder to your evening soup.
- Salad - have a huge bowl of salad with loads of lettuce, tomatoes (fruit), cucumber (fruit) and peppers (fruit). I'd have this at dinner time with your soup.
- Puddings - well kind of anyway. Try cooking a mix of peeled, cored and chopped apples with a little water and a good shake of cinnamon - surprisingly satisfying for that sweet craving! You could also try a baked apple with cinnamon or honey. Try it with pears and star anise, or a mix of berries, you get the picture.
- Snacks - remember that sweet peppers are fruit so snack on these and cucumber sticks. Whizz up some fruit and ice to make iced drinks.
Day 2 - Soup, Vegetables and a Baked Potato!
Today you can have all the soup you want and all the raw and cooked vegetables (not pulses, beans or potatoes) you can eat. Plus - and trust me you get very excited by the time you get this - you can have a LARGE baked potato at dinner AND butter! This will be the best potato of your life!!
Again, you need to plan ahead - what are you going to have for breakfast? I would suggest soup personally but you can have whatever you want so long as it's a vegetable! Remember that you can eat cooked vegetables so try some variation from the cabbage soup. You don't have to just eat carrot sticks today but make sure you eat the cabbagge soup at least once today.
Some suggestions for today:
Carrot and cumin soup
- Peel and chop 3 large carrots and half an onion.
- Put into a saucepan with half a vegetable stock cube and some ground cumin seeds (best for flavour) or just some ready ground cumin (about a teaspoon) and add enough water to cover all the veg.
- Bring to the boil then simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Blend and season to your taste.
This wooks well with coriander or curry powder too. Try curried parsnip soup - substitute two of the carrots for parsnips. There are loads of soup recipes out there you can try, just take out the stuff like pulses and oil.
- Peel and chop 2 carrots, a small onion or leek, half a small swede, a large parsnip and half a head of broccolli into large but bite size pieces.
- Add to a large pan with a vegetable stock cube, a bouquet garni sachet and some thyme. Add enough water too cover all the vegettables (but only just).
- Bring to the boil then simmer for around 20 minutes until all the veg is cooked.
- Season to your taste and serve.
Change the vegetables to whatever you will enjoy most!
Day 3 - Soup, vegetables and fruit - no potato.
Today is a combination of days 1 and 2 but without the luxury of that baked potato. Again, you need to eat the cabbage soup at least once today but try to vary what you eat.
Day 4 - Bananas and milk.
This day is supposed to curb your craving for sweet stuff. You can eat up to 8 bananas and drink as much skimmed milk as you like! I can't offer up much variation on this but have a couple of suggestions:
- Try grilling a banana with a drizzle of honey and some cinnamon.
- Banana milkshake.
- Freeze a banana as a kind of ice pop.
Make sure you eat the cabbage soup at least once and drink lots of water too.
Day 5 - Beef and Tomatoes
Today you can have up to 20 ounces (500 grams) of beef and 6 fresh tomatoes. You need to eat your cabbage soup at least once and drink 6-8 glaases of water. If you don't want beef you can have grilled, poached or steamed chicken. You can have fish if you prefer but not on both of the meat days. I have a fab suggestion to help you get through today!
- Chop up 10 ounces (250 grams) of beef (bite size pieces), 3 large tomatoes, an onion, a clove of garlic and a couple of chillies.
- Mix together one teaspoon (tsp) of chilli powder, 1/2 tsp of ground cumin, 1/2 tsp of turmeric, 1/4 tsp ground ginger, 2 ground cloves and some black pepper (your preference).
- Simmer the onion in a small amount of water until it is soft then add the mixed spices and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and add a vegetable stock cube and a bay leaf.
- Cook for a couple of minutes until the tomatoes have broken down a little, then add some water and simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Season to taste - YUM!
Serves one person.
Day 6 - Beef and vegetables
Today you can have as much beef as you like, including 2 or 3 steaks, and all the vegetables you can eat! As with day 5, you can have chicken if you want, but no fiish if you had it yesterday. You need to eat the cabbage soup at least once but you don't just have to eat a plate of meat and vegtables.
Try yesterdays chilli recipe but add some veg to it.
- Chop up a chicken breast (no skin) into bite size pieces, also a selection of veg I suggest 2 carrots, a parsnip, 1/4 swede, 10 mushrooms and a leek or onion.
- Put it all in a large pan, add a bouquet garni sachet, a bay leaf, vegetable stock cube and some thyme or rosemary.
- Cover all the ingredients with water (but only just), bring to the boil then simmer for 20 minutes or until all the ingredients are cooked.
- Season to taste.
Try this with beef too.
Day 7 - Brown rice and vegetables.
Congratulations if you have made it this far! Today you can eat as much brown rice and veg as you like - the plan says stuff yourself with it! You need to eat the cabbage soup at least once and you can have some unsweetened fruit juice too.
Try roasting some vegetables like red onion, courgettes, aubergine and have these with your rice. Make vegetable kebabs,vegetable soup or casserole from day 2 with rice in it. Try vegetable risotto too.
- Chop up half an onion finely and crush a clove of garlic.
- Add to a pan and soften in a little water.
- Add a cup of brown rice and stir in.
- Make up some stock with a vegetable stock cube and hot water and add to the rice a ladle at a time, waiting for the rice to absorb the water before you add more, stir occasionally.
- After 20 minutes, add some chopped vegetables, your choice - try asparagus, boroad beans, mushrooms, broccolli, courgette, artichoke....
- Cook for about 30 minutes in total as brown rice takes longer to cook.
- Season to taste.
Day 8 - clothes shopping!
Congratulations if you made it through the week, now it's time to go clothes shopping after losing all that weight! Whatever you do today, don't head straight for the naughty foods or you will put the weight back on. Use this diet as a kick start to a healthy diet - it should have curbed a lot of your sweet cravings.
Top tips for success
- Buy all the weeks food beforehand if you can - no trips to the shop means less temptation! Knowing that theres food available at all times will help you get through it. This includes day 8 - something quick and easy but still healthy.
- Prepare breakfast the night before - waking up hungry does nothing for the willpower, especially when you have a choice of soup or vegetables!
- Plan your week in advance so you aren't doping anything silly like going out for dinner or a birthday party.....stay away from temptatio.
- Empty your cupboards of all foods you aren't allowed to eat this week!
- Don't head straight for the pizza, ice cream, chocolate etc when you finish.