The DASH Diet, Is It For You?
The DASH diet
The DASH diet is a diet that has been recommended by physicians quite often for people with hypertension (high blood pressure). It has been proven to lower high blood pressure in as little as 14 days. It is also said to help reduce the risk of stroke and heart disease. The diet is low salt, low sodium, low fat or non fat dairy, and rich in fruits and vegetables.
Not only has it been recommended by physicians but the Dash Diet has been eddorsed by:
- The National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute
- The American Heart Association
- The Dietary Heart for Americans
- The US quideline for treatment of High Blood Pressure
- The Dash Diet formed the basis for the USDA MYPyramid
Food groups/servings per day
7-8/Grain and grain products
2-3/Low fat or non fat dairy
2 or less/Lean meats, fish and poultry
4-5 per week/Nuts, seeds and legumes
limited/Fats and sweets
Food groups and their properties
1. Major sources of energy
Whole wheat bread and rolls, whole wheat pasta, English muffins, pita bread, bagels, cereals, grits, oatmeal, brown rice, unsalted pretzels and popcorn
2. Rich sources of potassium, magnesium and fiber
Broccoli, carrots, collards, green beans, green peas, kale, lima beans, potatoes, spinach, squash, sweet potatoes adn tomatoes
3. Important sources of potassium, magnesium and fiber
Apples, apricots, bananas, dates, grapes, oranges, grapefruit, mangoes, melons peaches, pinapples, raisins, strawberies, tangerines
4. Major sources of calcium and protein
Fat[free (skim), or low fat (1%) milk, or buttermilk, fat free or low fat or reduced fat cheese, fat free or low fat regular or frozen yogurt
5. Rich sources of protein and magnesium
Select only lean meats, trim away visible fats and broil, roast, or poach and remove skin from poultry
6. Rich sources of energy
almonds, hazelnuts, mixed nuts, peanuts, walnuts, sunflower seeds, peanut butter, kidney beans, lentils and split peas
7. The DASH diet includes 27% of its calories of fat
Soft margarine, vegetable oil (canola, corn, olive or safflower), low fat mayonnaise, light salad dressing
8. Sweets - low in fat
Fruit flavored gelatin, fruit punch, hard candies, jelly, maple syrup, sorbet and ices and sugar
- The DASH Diet Plan Does it Really Work?
Thousands of people follow a low-calorie diet or low-carb eating plan in order to lose weight, while others make drastic changes in their diet just to improve their health. With the growing number of cases of...
- How to reduce sodium in your diet without sacrificin...
Maybe your doctor told you to cut back on your salt intake. Or, perhaps youve heard about the ill effects of excessive sodium intake which includes hypertension and sensitivity to stress and you...
- Need a Healthy Diet: Eat Blue Zones Superfoods
Some people set weight loss goals based on what they see on the outside, but perhaps this year everyone should begin to set goals based on what is nutritionally healthy for ones body. Need a Healthy Diet:...
- Lose Weight With A Vegetarian Diet - Vegetarian Soup...
A vegetarian diet is one of the smartest weight loss strategies. It won't work fast like magic but will help you lose weight a healthy way. Here are some easy and hearty vegetarian soup recipes I hope you will enjoy.